PDA

View Full Version : Wine for Thanksgiving?

Twoboos
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
What wines will you be serving? I think for red I am going to try the Beaujolais Nouveau everyone is talking about. In the past we've had great success with a wine I just cannot think of the name of right now... It's a Tempranillo, maybe a Cabernet blend. I can picture the bottle in my head, if that helps at all. ;)

What about whites??

lowrioh
11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
What wines will you be serving? I think for red I am going to try the Beaujolais Nouveau everyone is talking about. In the past we've had great success with a wine I just cannot think of the name of right now... It's a Tempranillo, maybe a Cabernet blend. I can picture the bottle in my head, if that helps at all. ;)

What about whites??

I'm a fan of Vouvrey (aka Chenin Blanc) with turkey. Crisp and not too dry or sweet for most people. DH and I are definitely more red wine drinkers and we both enjoy Chenin Blanc.

Dream
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I was at TJ yesterday to buy the t'key but Beaujolais Nouveau was not available. I wondering when its going to be available? My family prefer sweet wines. I won't be trying it this thanksgiving.

Twoboos
11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Just back from TJ's and they had the Beaujolais! I got 4 bottles, but still need a white too. Dream, I would think they'd have it now... you might want to give them a call?

And, I remembered the other wine that we really liked a few Thanksgivings ago. It was called Spanish Quarter.

I have to hit another liquor store for the Persecco we like, so I'll probably get the white there.

boolady
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM
My DH has been saving a bottle of 2005? 2006? Argyle Nuthouse Pinot Noir for Thanksgiving, so that's what we'll have.

etaylor75
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
You guys are really making me miss Trader Joes!!

pb&j
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I was at TJ yesterday to buy the t'key but Beaujolais Nouveau was not available. I wondering when its going to be available? My family prefer sweet wines. I won't be trying it this thanksgiving.

IIRC, Beaujolais Nouveau is typically released the 3rd Thurs in Nov - today!

I'll be drinking a Riesling produced by a local winemaker that isn't widely available. I have great memories associated with Rieslings on Thanksgiving, so it's my fave for the holiday.

DebbieJ
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Pinot Noir is a great Thanksgiving wine--I have to pick some up this week. I also have a bottle of Reisling (blue bottle from TJ's) that my family goes gaga over.

marie
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Slight hikjack-
Do you guys have a guideline for how much wine? We'll have a maximum 11 alcohol drinkers at dinner. I'm thinking 2 bottles of red and 2 bottles white. No one is a huge drinker and I'll have sparkling cider for the kids and the non-drinkers.

whaddya think?