PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy bike help please

Edensmum
11-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I want to get dd a bike. She's 6 and I have no idea where to begin, how tall to get and what brands are best. Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks

LMPC
11-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Depending on how much $ you want to spend, I would take her to a bike shop or a place like REI where they have knowledgeable people to help fit her to a bike. I think getting the proper fit can help reduce frustration when trying to ride. Also, there are websites that will help you measure your child for a bike, if you are looking at Target, Walmart....where help might not be as readily available. Target carries Mongoose and Schwinn brands...both of which I think are reasonable starter bikes and at about $100 not a bad price.

BabyMine
11-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Some bike stores have a buy back program for when your child out grows their bike. Our bike store sell the bikes for $200 and when you trade it back you get $100 to use towards your next purchase.

smiles33
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
How tall is your daughter? At 6, she's probably going to be on a 16" wheel diameter bike. We got a Trek Mystic 16 for DD1's 4th birthday, but DD1 was at the very bottom of the height minimum and couldn't touch the ground with flat feet.

I think your DD may be too tall for a balance bike, but that's an option, too. I am so glad we got DD1 a Skuut to practice on and wish I had thought/known about it before buying the Trek Mystic. It just sits in the garage now as we wait for her to grow tall enough to comfortably straddle it.

JBaxter
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Unless she is insanely tall I would go 16 inch. Honestly most of the bikes I have bought have been from Walmart ( they dont charge for assembly) When they get older I spend more money.

I have gotten some at TRU ( but they charge for assembly)

They grow out of bikes fairly quickly so I dont invest a huge amount in the 16 inch.