PDA

View Full Version : New Carpeting Choices - Greener, Less Toxic choices

wimama
11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
We may be needed some new carpeting here soon. I would love some information on greener choices in carpeting and flooring. I want something that will have minimal off-gassing. The carpet would be for a stairway, hallway and eventually we will need some new flooring for the basement.

brittone2
11-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I haven't looked at it yet, but one of the groups that addresses toy safety had a report come out recently ranking different homebuilding products.

http://www.healthystuff.org/departments/stuff/index.php

You can pull down a menu to look at home products. I haven't looked at it yet other than just now, but I remember it coming into my inbox a few weeks ago.

Does Greenguide have anything?

Carpeting is a tough one. I wish there were more/better options.

eta: just looked at it and when I plugged in carpet or carpeting I just got info on padding, but that's at least one thing you might be able to use?

alirebco
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
For carpets:
Look for The Carpet and Rug Institute's Green Label Plus certification which tests for indoor air quality impacts.
Look for rugs with jute, latex, or other natural backings that are sewn on, rather than glued with toxic adhesives, and ask for a wool or other safer underpad, too.

Read more: http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/healthy_flooring_411/#ixzz15fvgzd2e

You can also check out FLOR but it might be hard to do a whole room with it. We have it in our living room as an area rug.

FLOR is Responsible.

FLOR’s dedication to caring for the planet carries over into everything we do from design and manufacturing to reclaiming and recycling old FLOR into new.

Renewable & recycled content. FLOR squares are made with varied degrees of renewable and recycled materials—e.g., 100% natural, un-dyed wool and post-consumer waste like plastic soda and water bottles. Also, FLOR squares are designed to be among the lowest VOC emitting products in the residential flooring industry.

Non-toxic. FLOR squares are non-toxic and contain an antimicrobial that inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew.

Return & Recycle Program. FLOR consumers are encouraged to return their old squares back to us so they can be recycled into new products, ensuring that no FLOR ends up a landfill.

Responsible manufacturing. FLOR products are made in progressive, efficient facilities that use less water and energy, and thereby produce less waste. And we employ a printing technology that requires far less water than standard printing processes.

Made in the USA. Over 90% of FLOR is manufactured in the U.S.A., which allows us better quality control and reduces the transportation costs of flying products around the globe to get them to your door.

wimama
11-18-2010, 10:41 PM
The Flor tiles have changed a lot since I looked at them a few years ago. Thanks for reminding me about them. I like some of their new styles.
I think those would be perfect for the basement. The area were the main floor drain area is inches away from a finished area of the basement floor. We had an issue last year when water from the floor drain backed up onto the carpet. Removable floor tiles would be perfect solution for down there. I need to find something for the stairs though. We live with my MIL and we need carpeted stairs, not just hardwood. I wouldn't want my over 80 year old MIL slipping on the hardwood stairs and falling down them. Flor tiles do look like one of the greenest options for carpeting. Still looking for options.

daisymommy
11-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Oooh! I recently hosted a Healthy Child, Healthy World Home Party, and Mohawk sent me a sample of carpeting made with corn! It's certified through GreenGuard. And it's very soft. I'll go look it up for you and report back.

Mohawk SmartStrand
http://www.mohawkflooring.com/smartstrand/default.aspx

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/greenworks/default.aspx

wimama
11-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I was looking at the Everstrand by Mohawk. Is the Smart Strand better? Mohawk seems like one of the greenest traditional carpet manufactures. Some wool carpet manufacturers carpets start at $50 or more a square foot. Ouch!

wimama
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
For carpets:
You can also check out FLOR but it might be hard to do a whole room with it. We have it in our living room as an area rug.

Which type of tile do you have? I prefer not seeing the individual squares. But, if I wouldn't mind the squares if they pattern looked cool I guess. I am thinking a shorter length carpet would be better for the basement. I know we wouldn't see seems in the shag style carpets.