PDA

View Full Version : LEGO deal discovery at TARGET!!??

3boys1girl
11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry if you already knew about this, but the 5.00 off coupon in the toy book that is supplied in my target at the end of one of the toy isle(hundreds were there in the rack) seems to work for any LEGO not just the ones suggested on it. I got the toy story mini kit 3.99 and the star wars tie fighter kit 2.99 for 2.00 total. I also did it for 2 bionicles that are already bogo 1/2 off so they were a total of 7.00! This is great for stocking stuffers and the mini kits are virtually a dollar or less!!!
YAY

YMMV and it may not work in your target. But 2 different cashiers in my area said it was not a problem and they did not have to push any buttons and no error codes came up on my reciept.
Don't loose sleep over it, if you feel it is not right then don't do it.

srhs
11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Did it beep and the cashier just pushed it through (accepted it anyway) or did it scan seemlessly?
Or answer it this way
Is the discount at the very bottom of your receipt, or is it "attached" right below the item, making the item listed at the after-coupon price?

KrisM
11-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm going to say that just because it works, doesn't make it right. Coupons come with more and more restrictions because people use them not as intended. Just my opinion.

3boys1girl
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
It worked fine... I even asked if it was ok to use and she said yes. She did not have to do anything special. I have also found that you can print out a coupon online and it just says 5.00 off lego with no purchase suggestions. So this deal is right and ok to do.

iaam
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry if you already knew about this, but the 5.00 off coupon in the toy book that is supplied in my target at the end of one of the toy isle(hundreds were there in the rack) seems to work for any LEGO not just the ones suggested on it. I got the toy story mini kit 3.99 and the star wars tie fighter kit 2.99 for 2.00 total. I also did it for 2 bionicles that are already bogo 1/2 off so they were a total of 7.00! This is great for stocking stuffers and the mini kits are virtually a dollar or less!!!
YAY

This 'might' be YMMV. I wanted to buy 2 TS3 Duplo sets using the coupon in the toy book. I didn't realize that only one was listed on it. When the cashier was ringing me up, it went through for that one but not for the other.

ett
11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm going to say that just because it works, doesn't make it right. Coupons come with more and more restrictions because people use them not as intended. Just my opinion.

:yeahthat: I'm not going to try it knowing full well it's only for certain sets.

babyready
11-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. I went online and the $5 off coupon is indeed for "lego toy." I have no problem using it.

ray7694
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I think people are entitled to their own opinions but is it necessary to post when people are just trying to let you know of a deal.

LMPC
11-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I think people are entitled to their own opinions but is it necessary to post when people are just trying to let you know of a deal.
I agree. I fully took advantage of Amazon's toy glitches last year without any guilt. I think as long as you don't alter the coupon to be deceptive, then if it goes through....no problem. It's not like this thread is about doing something untoward...just finding a loophole. JMO

Ceepa
11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. I went online and the $5 off coupon is indeed for "lego toy." I have no problem using it.

The included sets are on the left side of the coupon when it is printed. As it appears:

-Harry Potter Hagrid's Hut or
-Star Wars Cad Bane's Speeder or
-Toy Story 3 Pizza Planet Truck or
-City Advent Calendar
-City House or
-Atlantis Undersea Explorer

pjsmom30
11-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you to the OP!

Last year I got flamed over having used Target coupons to my advantage, albeit unknowingly. It made me feel terrible, so I wanted to say Thank you for sharing!

dec756
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
TY op!!! :)

Momof3Labs
11-18-2010, 04:47 PM

I just printed it off, and there are 6 specific sets listed. It's not for any lego toy, it's for those 6 toys.

The objection to this deal is that the coupon clearly states what sets are discounted, and OP is posting about using it on other sets that are clearly not specified on the coupon. It is akin to coupon decoding - where many coupons can be used on an item without beeping, but that doesn't mean that it is right or that the coupon is intended for use on that item. I'm all for liberal interpretation of coupon use, but only when it is in compliance with what is stated on the coupon.

alien_host
11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I believe Target is running a new coupon for $5 off ANY set $14.99 or higher, it should be in Sunday 11/21 flyer and perhaps online. I saw this on a lego related website.

The $5 coupon in the toy book does list certain sets, as PP have said.

designermv
11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I have the Toy Coupon Book here, and the online code for that offer doesn't work for other Lego toys. YMMV in stores, I suppose.

Edit to add, this is the message that appears at checkout:

Important Messages
There's a slight problem with your order (see below).
This promotional code cannot be applied toward your purchase. Please check your offer for details.

ett
11-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm guessing the cashiers are just pushing the coupons through since they see "Lego" on the coupon.

alien_host
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I just printed it off, and there are 6 specific sets listed. It's not for any lego toy, it's for those 6 toys.

The objection to this deal is that the coupon clearly states what sets are discounted, and OP is posting about using it on other sets that are clearly not specified on the coupon. It is akin to coupon decoding - where many coupons can be used on an item without beeping, but that doesn't mean that it is right or that the coupon is intended for use on that item. I'm all for liberal interpretation of coupon use, but only when it is in compliance with what is stated on the coupon.

I agree and feel that if Target Corp feels there is abuse, they may stop offering these deals. Just my 2 cents.

EXPECTINGMAY
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM

:yeahthat:

alien_host
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
I just looked at the ad scan for Target starting Sunday. The $5 says off any Lego set $14.99 or higher, since I was on my phone I didn't see the over $14.99. There should be coupons with your Sunday flyer. Better your deal if you apply it to a set already on-sale. It expires 11/14 so before BF.

I don't think that coupon is on line at the moment as it still lists the specific sets, but keep checking as it might get updated.

inmypjs
11-18-2010, 06:20 PM
I am an avid couponer and really love good deals, but I also think it's inappropriate to knowingly and intentionally misuse a coupon. If the coupon states it should be used on specific items, then that's what it should be used on. Coupon misuse is one reason why many stores, Target included, often give customers a hard time about using coupons. I don't think it should be used on any lego set just because you can get away with it. Just my thoughts.

srhs
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
It worked fine... I even asked if it was ok to use and she said yes. She did not have to do anything special. I have also found that you can print out a coupon online and it just says 5.00 off lego with no purchase suggestions. So this deal is right and ok to do.

She did not have to press K1?? And the discount is directly below the toy on your receipt and not dropped to the very bottom? (autoadjusted)

Then, rock on.

KrisM
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree. I fully took advantage of Amazon's toy glitches last year without any guilt. I think as long as you don't alter the coupon to be deceptive, then if it goes through....no problem. It's not like this thread is about doing something untoward...just finding a loophole. JMO

But, did the Amazon deal say "this is not the price we intend to sell this at"? If not, how did you know until after that it was a glitch? This coupon clearly says what it is to be used for.

Misusing coupons makes it harder and harder to use coupons even correctly.

srhs
11-18-2010, 09:06 PM

When was this? Amazon runs some rockin toy deals, but I don't remember any of them being accidental?

LMPC
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
But, did the Amazon deal say "this is not the price we intend to sell this at"? If not, how did you know until after that it was a glitch? This coupon clearly says what it is to be used for.

Misusing coupons makes it harder and harder to use coupons even correctly.

I assumed plan toys and corolle for about 90% off was a glitch last year.

This sounds like a glitch too with the coupon...Target is not new to retail. Sounds like the parameters of the coupon were not set correctly. I can't imagine that it would be difficult to correct on Target's part once it was discovered. Their systems are changing all the time.

alien_host
11-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I bought one of the coupon items a few weeks ago, it definitely was "attached" (i.e. below the item showing the new adjusted price) and not down at the bottom of the receipt. Not sure what that means exactly. IIRC the target coupons work that way right? If it was for the "wrong item" would it go below if it was "an override"?

mjmamma
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm glad you got a good deal. If I tried it and it worked, that would be good enough for me. You win some, you lose some....that goes for both Target and I..and everyone else!

JamiMac
11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm glad you got a good deal. If I tried it and it worked, that would be good enough for me. You win some, you lose some....that goes for both Target and I..and everyone else!

If it helps, I left my paid for Diet Coke 12 pack in the bottom of my cart the other day and drove off. +1 for Target or whoever got it! ;)

srhs
11-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I bought one of the coupon items a few weeks ago, it definitely was "attached" (i.e. below the item showing the new adjusted price) and not down at the bottom of the receipt. Not sure what that means exactly. IIRC the target coupons work that way right? If it was for the "wrong item" would it go below if it was "an override"?

As a general rule, you got it! Unless of course the print on the coupon specifies inclusions or exclusions. If the OP asked and the coupon autoattached, I say :thumbsup:.

(Sorry I am so opinionated, I am one of those crazy couponers)

Target is facing A LOT of scrutiny right now for their coupon programming problems, is being sued, is getting bad media attention, undercover reporting, etc., so for awhile they have switched to a very pro-coupon-consumer attitude while they work out their programming errors. I am concerned they will pull their store coupons altogether if there is a lot of abuse, and they cannot clear up their systems.

This is coming from a gal who hits T A LOT and has to occassionally pad my cart to make sure I do owe some money, so I am all for a deal there, sorry if I sound like I am making myself the coupon police. I just spend a lot of hours working on coupons, lol, and my whole family's budget is built around them continuing.

(and there are over 1200 views on this thread, btw, so it's not the same as emailing a ymmv deal to your 10 closest friends)

alien_host
11-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Just to be clear, my item was one of the listed sets. (City House). Since there were 6 sets listed, it did not occur to me to try it for any other set. :shrug:. I'm not trying to be rude or snarky about it.

srhs
11-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Just to be clear, my item was one of the listed sets. (City House). Since there were 6 sets listed, it did not occur to me to try it for any other set. :shrug:. I'm not trying to be rude or snarky about it. I did not take it as snarky at all, just you asking what I meant by autoattach. And I know you are a snazzy bargain shopper yourself. :)

alien_host
11-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I did not take it as snarky at all, just you asking what I meant by autoattach. And I know you are a snazzy bargain shopper yourself. :)

Hey thanks :)

(and there are over 1200 views on this thread, btw, so it's not the same as emailing a ymmv deal to your 10 closest friends)

This is true, I always feel that places like SD kills it for some since manufacturers/vendors/stores find out that things have gone "wrong" with their sales, coupons etc. (or maybe not how they intended) and that's how things get pulled. The more people that do it, the more likely it will raise suspicion. I think there are fewer people on BBB than SD, but I think we can also cause "mobs at the stores or online" for certain items ;)

Anyway, it seems like Target has a good coupon coming up anyway for the $5 off $14.99 or more Lego set, IMO that's pretty good.

DrSally
11-18-2010, 11:51 PM
If it helps, I left my paid for Diet Coke 12 pack in the bottom of my cart the other day and drove off. +1 for Target or whoever got it! ;)

I did the *exact* same thing!

mjmamma
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Exactly! ;)
Everyone has valid points and ideas...on that note, I think boards like BBB/SD help retailers move a ton of merchandise and generate a lot of business, not just discounted sales either. If I went into Target for this deal, I would easily drop an addional $20, $50 or even $100...they get me every.time. :)

sariana
11-19-2010, 02:40 AM
If I went into Target for this deal, I would easily drop an addional $20, $50 or even $100...they get me every.time.

And that's exactly why they do it.:) (And I'm the same way.)

fortato
11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
YAY for you!!!! Screw the system! A deal is a deal!

I'm off to Target! WOO HOO!

(And How many of these people on this board were above screwing the system when we got the Britax from Target a few years ago- or the Nalgene bottles Friends and Family deals that were not supposed to get out?? Yeah, that's what I thought! So, THANK YOU for posting this deal!!!!)

JBaxter
11-19-2010, 08:58 AM
YAY for you!!!! Screw the system! A deal is a deal!

I'm off to Target! WOO HOO!

(And How many of these people on this board were above screwing the system when we got the Britax from Target a few years ago- or the Nalgene bottles Friends and Family deals that were not supposed to get out?? Yeah, that's what I thought! So, THANK YOU for posting this deal!!!!)

I have no issue if I buy something and it comes up cheeper. Jack sits in his 59.99 Britax Cowmooflage car seat and I dont feel bad about it at all. I ordered paid and they shipped.

:) Target today also!

EXPECTINGMAY
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Why do some of these threads get so political. We are not here to judge each other.

JanBaby
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I think passing judgment is a bit of a slippery slope - what about ordering extra items that you fully intend to return to get free shipping? Doesn't that contradict the intent of the retailer? I say caveat emptor goes both ways (have no idea how to spell this :)

Ceepa
11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I think passing judgment is a bit of a slippery slope - what about ordering extra items that you fully intend to return to get free shipping? Doesn't that contradict the intent of the retailer?

never mind.

JanBaby
11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
It certainly might - my point was that there are more facets to the discussion than just coupons.

Momof3Labs
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Why do some of these threads get so political. We are not here to judge each other.

It's not about politics. It's about coupon fraud. No one is judging anyone, but just providing readers of this thread with enough information to make their own informed decision. It's up to each person to decide whether it is okay with them to use the coupon in this manner. Here's a little reading on the topic:

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/community-rules/coupon-fraud/

http://www.cents-off.com/faq.php?st=1fe91#misredeem