PDA

View Full Version : Reading Corner

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I am wanting to make a comfy little corner for DS. He likes when we read books to him and I want to foster the book loving early! I would really love a PBK Anywhere Chair but they are $$. Has anyone bought one of those inserts on Ebay? I was thinking about doing that and getting a cover on there as well. Does anyone know of a seat out there that is comprable to the Anywhere Chair? My mom has found a few but they dont sit right on the ground they all have small legs and just dont seem as comfy to me and aren't washable (which is probably most important to me).

Or does anyone know where to find a good sized, washable, reasonably priced bean bag chair that won't be too flat after some use?

What would you use if you want to make a snuggly, cuddly, reading and relaxing corner in your bonus room?

TIA!

dec756
11-18-2010, 07:33 PM
would you buy an anywhere chair if it was at a small discount? it is still pretty expensive but some of the options are 99 which is the cheapest

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
would you buy an anywhere chair if it was at a small discount? it is still pretty expensive but some of the options are 99 which is the cheapest

I could probably do the 99 if I could ever get a coupon code on top of that. We dont have a lot of money for something like this but if it will last I would be more inclined to spend the money get it - or if I could get a more decent price I wouldn't feel bad asking the grandparents to buy one for Christmas. It may seem silly to get an actual chair now but I figure if I get it for Christmas or his birthday in January it will be good to use by the time hes like 18 months old and a holiday or birthday is more of an excuse for me to spend the money ;-). He loves sitting in the little seats at daycare and plopping down sitting on steps etc. so I know he would sit in it even when little.

Do they withstand the test of time? Maybe an oversized one would last him until age 4ish?

edurnemk
11-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Do they withstand the test of time? Maybe an oversized one would last him until age 4ish?

If you get the PBK one, go for the regular size, not the smaller one. An 18 month old or even younger kid can sit in the regular one (I know because we tried them both at the store when DS was like 16-17 months) and the regular one will last a lot longer. At LEAST 4. DS is almost 3 and I can see him fitting in his Anywhere chair for a long time still (I'd say at least 3 more years).

As for the test of time, DS is really rough with his, he flips it over, climbs over it, jumps on it every.single.day and it still looks like new. He loves it, and not just for climbing ;) . I'm very happy with our Anywhere chair.

BTW you can sign up at a PBK store, and they'll send you a coupon on the month of your kid's birthday.

dec756
11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
apparently the regular sized ones last for many many years like til age 6? someone even said til 8 years old! i think it will last and i think it would be something you would want to buy new in mint condition. my son is getting one in a few weeks when he turns one. i think he will really enjoy it :)

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 08:21 PM
If you get the PBK one, go for the regular size, not the smaller one. An 18 month old or even younger kid can sit in the regular one (I know because we tried them both at the store when DS was like 16-17 months) and the regular one will last a lot longer. At LEAST 4. DS is almost 3 and I can see him fitting in his Anywhere chair for a long time still (I'd say at least 3 more years).

As for the test of time, DS is really rough with his, he flips it over, climbs over it, jumps on it every.single.day and it still looks like new. He loves it, and not just for climbing ;) . I'm very happy with our Anywhere chair.

BTW you can sign up at a PBK store, and they'll send you a coupon on the month of your kid's birthday.

Ok so would that be the Regular or the Oversized and just not the little one? I know they have the small one, and then a regular, but isnt there an oversized one?

elbenn
11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Have you thought about a big bean bag chair that you could both sit in? Here's a link to a new one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-COZY-SAC-CHAIR-NAVY-SUEDE-BEAN-BAG-LOVE-SEAT-SACK-/140294975031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20aa3b6e37

edurnemk
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok so would that be the Regular or the Oversized and just not the little one? I know they have the small one, and then a regular, but isnt there an oversized one?

Hmmm I don't know if there's an oversized one. Ours is just the regular Anywhere Chair (Hybrid), the other one we tried at the store was My First Anywhere Chair IIRC. I was only aware of those two sizes, but maybe they're making an oversized one now IDK.

ETA: You're right! I just checked the website and there is an oversized one. It's not available in stores (at least in the print I checked). Well, ours is the Regular size and I think it's a pretty good size, but again, I've never seen the oversized one.

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Have you thought about a big bean bag chair that you could both sit in? Here's a link to a new one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-COZY-SAC-CHAIR-NAVY-SUEDE-BEAN-BAG-LOVE-SEAT-SACK-/140294975031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20aa3b6e37

I love that but no way can I do the $140! Thank you though. I think its sounding like the PBK chair is worth spending a little extra on. Thanks everyone!

dec756
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
there is also an oversized one but they did niot have it on display at my store so i have not seen it irl. it is 4 inches deeper and wider and i think 2 inches taller...i have done my research :)

kristac
11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I have the oversized one and my 6 year old can sit in it with room to spare.

nmosur
11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Costco has a cute chair for kids that I am considering getting for DD - its among the office equiment not with the kids stuff.

DebbieJ
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
What about just a bunch of floor pillows. Then you can take off the covers and wash them.

WolfpackMom
11-18-2010, 10:32 PM
What about just a bunch of floor pillows. Then you can take off the covers and wash them.

That was my first idea and I even found some great ones at Homegoods that were around $30 a piece. I went back a few weeks later and they were all gone! Booo!

For those who are familiar with PBK, would you get the Anywhere Chair or the Beanbag chair? Right now they have an oversized beanbag chair for 50 and I could get a sale cover, but Im not sure it wouldnt end up squished and flattened after some use.

newg
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
growing up my sis and I both had "reading corners" in our rooms with giant bean bag chairs kind of like this:
http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?searchParam=LV&pdId=14677&addOn=086&sid=eas

I noticed they also have bean bag chairs similar to PBKs chairs for much cheaper.

When our bean bags got flat my mom would just add more stuffing to them.

DD1 has a PBK chair and even my sister and I can sit in it............DD1 is 2.5 and fits in it very easily still. The chair is downstairs in the family room.

In DD1's room we have a regular chair in the corner with a table next to it. The table has her CD player and a stack of books on it. When she gets a bit older I plan to put a small tent in that corner instead of the chair, filled with pillows.

edurnemk
11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
When she gets a bit older I plan to put a small tent in that corner instead of the chair, filled with pillows.

Oh, that's a neat idea! DS already has a tent, I never thought of using it as his reading corner, that would be super cozy!