PDA

View Full Version : Help teaching DD to pedal

melwe
11-19-2010, 12:38 AM
DD will be 4 in one month and has never really figured out how to pedal (or steer or stop for that matter). :) Right now, we have a Radio Flyer tricycle and a small 2 wheel bike with training wheels that was a hand-me down. She is the type of kid where if it doesn't go right the first time, she just gives up and has no interest in trying again.

For her birthday/Christmas, I've been trying to figure out what would be best to work with her. I have been considering getting her the Radio Flyer Big Wheel thinking that it would be lower to the ground and maybe less intimidating?? This one seems to have the best reviews.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flyer-Girl-s-Big-Flyer/14710699

All the other "learn to ride" are probably too small for her now, but she needs something to build up her confidence. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience and what might help? Thanks!

willow33
11-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I bet she will just get it as she gets a little older. Both my boys could not pedal at her age. They just couldn't get the hang of pushing with one foot and then the other. By the time they turned 5 they could pedal fine. From what I've seen some kids get it early and some just need a little extra time.