PDA

View Full Version : Insurance company wants to buy us a washing machine-HELP!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Because I have to give them my request asap. It has to come from sears and must cost less than 700 dollars. We are a family of 6 and do roughly 15 loads of laundry a week. I could really use some input-thanks.

Katigre
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Get the latest copy of consumer reports on washing machines and read the reviews for which get the best ratings and lowest need of repair.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-19-2010, 02:40 AM
I've already done that. If it was that easy I wouldn't be asking for help. The issue I have with the ones on consumer reports is that the data suggests that the only 2 that get clothes super clean are lousy when it comes to every other option. If I had tons of time to go through everything I wouldn't ask peoples opinion. I was thinking about one model in particular but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something better out there.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02669712000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

maybe I'll get lucky and the ins. company will be willing to wait for the black friday sales.

niccig
11-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Ask over on gardenweb in the appliance forum. People there really know their appliances.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

Indianamom2
11-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm not an expert, but I have the Maytag Bravos washer and dryer and have had them for about a year and a half now. I love my washer. It has HUGE capacity and I haven't had any issues with it.

Hope that helps!

Melbel
11-19-2010, 08:57 AM
We have been very happy with our Bosch front loader. I agree, washers are tricky to research because there are so many mixed reviews. If you plan on shopping at either Home Depot or Lowe's, go to your post office and get a movers packet because they normally have a 10 percent off coupon for Lowes that HD will honor.

crl
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Bummer that it has to come from Sears. If you want a machine that is $750, for example, will insurance let you kick in the extra $50? Can you go to a Sears scratch and dent outlet?

We have a Bosch front loader and I am happy with it. It is the second Bosch FL we have had and we have had two Bosch dw and I have been happy with all of them. (We moved, none of those appliances wore out on us.)

I like the laundry forum at Gardenweb for research, though they are a bit obsessive.

Good luck!
Catherine

scrooks
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
We just got an Electrolux frontloader for about that price but it was a scratch and dent and it took a bit to find. We haven't had problems with the washer but sears keeps sending out broken pedistals so they have been a bit of a PITA to deal with....good luck. You can search for scratch and dents online on their outlet store. That's what DH did to find ours....you may find a higher end (Bosch, Electrolux, etc) at a great price!

m448
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Another Bosch lover and we do even more laundry if you can believe it. I have the nexxt 500 series and have owned it for 3 years.

vonfirmath
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm curious why your insurance company wants to buy you a washer?

JTsMom
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I have the Bravos with the sanitary cycle- close to that one, just with a few extra features. It holds a TON of stuff. I don't think it necessarily gets anything cleaner than my old, piece of junk, second hand job did though, so I'm surprised it would rate so highly. There's no agitator, so you really have to be careful how you load things, b/c they can get tangled up pretty easily, and don't always shake loose again. It does seem to be a lot more gentle though, and that I do like.

I am also not thrilled that I can't just fill it up and let something soak overnight (the soak cycle lasts for maybe an hour and a half or so. I also don't like that I can't set it back, or select the water height. Finally, I had no luck trying to use my powdered detergent in it, and ended up switching to liquid.

I think that most of these things are going to be standard though, and that's just life with a HE machine.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
To answer your question-we're getting a new washer and dryer because the house we're selling was seriously vandalized last summer and the w/d were one of the things ruined. They're also replacing a chair,coffee table,undercabinet radio/cd player and my entire special occasion silverware set that my grandmother bought me because the vandals stole it.

I can't remember but I don't think I put it up on the boards. But I don't put much of my private life on here.

bubbaray
11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I remember this. I'm happy to hear you are getting a resolution. GL with your purchase.

FWIW, I covet an LG set, but I'm not sure if Sears sells LG. I have also heard good things about Samsung. Maybe your ins. co will let you pay the difference? Can you put the new set in your live-in house and put the older set in your rental?

Reina
11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I remember this. I'm happy to hear you are getting a resolution. GL with your purchase.

FWIW, I covet an LG set, but I'm not sure if Sears sells LG. I have also heard good things about Samsung. Maybe your ins. co will let you pay the difference? Can you put the new set in your live-in house and put the older set in your rental?

I just checked. Sears does sell LG. I've had the LG Tromm washer/dryer set since 2007. Fantastic ! Cleans great, takes excess use very well, rather quiet operation. Highly recommended. Here is the contemporary equivalent:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02645112000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=L10