PDA

View Full Version : Food for 13 month old - everything ok?

PMJ
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm guessing the answer here is yes, but just not sure...

DD so far has been given most of the food we eat or at least tamed in some way. I have refrained (as much as I can) from giving her pre-packaged, processed foods.

Wondering at this age if these are okay:

- Cereal bars from TJ's (too much sugar or is there a better alternative?)

- Gold fish crackers (are these healthy or really just for snack purposes?)

- pizza (store bought)

I feel weird giving here some of these things b/c I feel like she is still a baby...!

THANKS

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Cereal bars from TJs- we use them all the time. I'm ok with them but that is a decision that works for my family. I know it's not the best thing ever so we try and make up for it with other choices during the day. :) You could look at the Kashi ones. They sell them for a decent price at Target. Even if sugar is the same there is a lot of good stuff in the Kashi grains that might off set it.

Goldfish- I consider them a not healthy snack. We sometimes take them along for a snack at the gym, for example. But, I don't think there is really anything healthy about them. Te natural brand ones make me feel only a teeny bit better since sodium is lower in them but even they aren't winning any health awards.

Pizza- I avoid HFCS and trans fats and basically any ingredient that couldn't naturally occur in my pantry. If the ingredient list passes that test then I am ok with it. :)

But, yeah, at 13m, in my family we were ok with any types of food and just went for it.
Beth

brittone2
11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
One thing with crackers is they can definitely contribute to cavities (very sticky) so just brush a good bit afterward when you can.

LMPC
11-19-2010, 12:04 PM
We did (still do) Annie's brand or store brand organic duck/bunny crackers as a snack. Same idea as goldfish...just a little smaller.

I would look at the sodium content of the pizza in addition to the possibility of HFCS. Sodium tends to be sky high on prepackaged stuff.

catsnkid
11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
we have done the goldfish crackers- I try to opt for wholegrains.. they are a once in awhile thing.

DebbieJ
11-20-2010, 02:12 AM
My 14 mo eats #2 and #3 and has been for well over a month.

maylips
11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
We do the cereal bars as a snack only - I take those instead of goldfish. I don't buy goldfish because I don't really like them myself and it seems kids get addicted to them, which leads me to think they aren't healthy anyway. :)

But pizza....oh, my, does my 15 month old DS love pizza. Especially thin crust Pizza Hut pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and extra cheese. So don't think I'm all high and mighty with my anti-goldfish stance!

Dr C
11-20-2010, 10:05 PM
My 13 month old eats all of the above. There are very few things I won't let her have, though we try to feed mainly fresh fruits/veggies/meats/whole grains, etc.
The main things we stay away from at this point are choking hazards--hard candy, nuts, etc.