PDA

View Full Version : My kitchen cabinets are very dirty.. how to clean?

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I think there is a layer of grease or something on my cabinets. They are filthy looking. What can I use to clean them? I"m so sick of them, we need new ones, but I need to get by with these for a little while longer.

thanks

*edit* they are wood

brittone2
11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Are they wood? Painted? Thermofoil/laminate?

LMPC
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Are they wood? I like murphy's oil for things like this. Or you could do the tried and true BBB method of vinegar and water :)

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
sorry.. they are solid wood

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Are they wood? I like murphy's oil for things like this. Or you could do the tried and true BBB method of vinegar and water :)

What's the ratio of water/vinegar? And could I use something slightly abrasive (like one of those sponges that has a slight scouring pad on one side) or would that be bad?

We are replacing the cabinets eventually so I don't care if they get a little scratched..they are just so dirty I hate them:ROTFLMAO:

reneed
11-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Are they truly dirty or did the finish get "gummy"? My window sills did that - can you post a pic?

Reina
11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Try common dishwashing liquid and water. The grime layer on your cabinets is sediment of cooking oils and other organic residue. Dishwashing detergent will cut through the oil easily without damaging the wood surface. If you use an abrasive scouring pad, you will scratch the surface which in return will get grimier faster because if the surface is scratched, grime will seep into the ridges and will be more difficult to clean in the future.

niccig
11-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Try common dishwashing liquid and water. The grime layer on your cabinets is sediment of cooking oils and other organic residue. Dishwashing detergent will cut through the oil easily without damaging the wood surface. If you use an abrasive scouring pad, you will scratch the surface which in return will get grimier faster because if the surface is scratched, grime will seep into the ridges and will be more difficult to clean in the future.

Yep, try dawn dishwasher liquid. If it's really grimy, I've used a little Goo Gone on a cloth on that area, and then follow up with dawn and water. The Goo Gone is great for sticky, greasy things but it's very oily, so you need to go over it.