PDA

View Full Version : Any Lego experts out there?

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
My 6 year old wants Lego Star Wars. The only other Lego's we have are those giant ones for babies (bigger than the Duplos). He loves to take them and make ships, but he's outgrown them.

I also have a soon to be 4 year old. He plays with the large Legos as well but I realize he has outgrown them as well.

Two questions:

I am planning on getting some Star Wars Legos this xmas. What size Lego's should I buy that would be compatible with the Star Wars ones? I've tried looking on their site but there is just so much I was getting lost.

Also do you think I should get smaller Lego's (than the Star Wars) for my almost 4 year old? I think he will end up playing with whatever my 6 year old is playing with, but I don't want him to get frustrated if he can't get the pieces together. Are the Duplos the size down from whatever size the Star Wars Lego's are?

thanks!

smilequeen
11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
All of the regular legos (smaller ones) are compatible.

For a 4 year old, I think an open ended set like a big bucket full of legos would be awesome. For a 6 year old, they do have the ability to follow the directions for a set that makes something more specific and I know my 6 year old loves to build those (he's really into the castle/knight stuff). My 3 year old will play with either the duplos or the regular legos but he can't build a set with directions. I'd have to build it for him and let him play with it (and destroy it :)).

alien_host
11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
The Star Wars sets are the regular sized bricks. Duplo are for ages 3-5ish.

If you look at Duplo, those are the "bigger" bricks, they do work with the "regular" lego bricks but are quite a bit larger.

Everything not marked Duplo is "regular/standard" sized.

We don't get the star wars sets, b/c DD doesn't seem interested. However my nephew has many of them and he is 4 and has been using them since he was 3.

There is the frustration factor of things breaking off or popping off but it can be fixed.

alien_host
11-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I should qualify that my nephew's parents build the sets and he plays/destroys like smilequeen said. He helps build it but cannot do it start to finish alone.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
OK thank you guys. I think I will just get regular (smaller) size legos for both boys to go along with the Star Wars ones. :D

fortato
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Jack has only just started helping build the Lego sets... he finds the directions hard to follow. We usually put them together and he plays with them. I am soooo ready to superglue the sets together though, because some of the Star Wars ships fall apart to easily when played with.

I wish they would make some Duplo Star Wars sets.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Jack has only just started helping build the Lego sets... he finds the directions hard to follow. We usually put them together and he plays with them. I am soooo ready to superglue the sets together though, because some of the Star Wars ships fall apart to easily when played with.

I wish they would make some Duplo Star Wars sets.

that would be perfect for my little guy...too bad they don't :(