PDA

View Full Version : Yay! Got my new City Mini! Now.. I have a couple of ?'s about it...

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
So far I'm really liking it, :yay: although I've only pushed it around the house so far.

I have the 2011 version.

I've read the manual, and I've got some strap issues:

1. What exactly is the Safety Strap for? If I don't use it, is it dangerous? When I open the stroller it "clicks" and seems stable without it.

2. The "Upright Strap" is poorly designed. I think they had good intentions, but it just doesn't fit the bill. It's hard to even use them, and you can't fold it when in use. If I just don't bother with these straps, do you think it would bother a baby/toddler that they don't sit upright enough?

So, using the two aforementioned straps, it goes from a quick "one hand fold" to a 3 step process.... unbuckle safety straps and then the upright straps and then fold.

OH and one more thing. One of the front wheels is making a noise, kind of like a loose metal part sound. It's not very loud, but I think it would get on my nerves. SHould I call Baby Jogger about this?

Thanks!

Edensmum
11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I would call. I am looking seriously at this stroller. DS likes to sit up and hold onto the bar/snack tray, will he be able to do this in this stroller? How is the push. I am thinking of getting this instead of the Vela because I want one that pushes really well.

lhafer
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Glad you like it so far!!

As for the safety strap - I rarely use mine. I guess I can sort of see how if lifting a baby OUT of the stroller, if you put a hand under the bum, you can accidentally pull up on the strap enough to make it close. But 99% of that not happening. I think the safety straps are there for regulation purposes honestly. I mean even if you watch Baby Jogger's OWN demo video of the stroller, the woman isn't using the safety straps. And if it worries you, just do one side. You CANNOT fold the stroller with at least one of the straps done. That said, it's very simple to unsnap if you do use them.

I have to 2010 version so don't have the pull up strap. My advice? Get a belly bar. I have one and that's what she uses to pull herself upright when she wants to. Love that thing.

Just the other day I finally went and got some binders to put in the seat (instead of the PE board). Got 2 $0.97 black binders from the store, cut out the rings, and cut the angle required on one side of the binder. I had to cut the other side pretty much in half to make it fit right. I did this on both binders. then I took the left over pieces and sandwiched them between the binders. Slide that down into the pocket and I have really noticed a difference in the slouchiness of the seat. My baby's 9 months old (on the 22nd) and she didn't mind the slouchiness. But I do notice that it's easier for her to be able to sit up and grab the belly bar easier.

But since yours is an '11 model, it should have a PE board that is in that slot already.

Definitely call about the wheel. The first day I had mine I called their CS and asked for a new front wheel because mine was a bit wobbly. I had a new wheel in a few days, no questions asked.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I would call. I am looking seriously at this stroller. DS likes to sit up and hold onto the bar/snack tray, will he be able to do this in this stroller? How is the push. I am thinking of getting this instead of the Vela because I want one that pushes really well.

Pushing this stroller around the house has been a pleasure.. I'm not joking. I find the handle bar to be perfect height for me (I'm tall). The single handle bar has a nice, rubbery feel and it's very comfortable in my hands. This stroller turns on a dime.. I can push it one handed. The handling of this stroller is very, very nice.

arivecchi
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
What is with Baby Jogger and the tire issues? OP, Baby Jogger is known for having many quality issues with its strollers - especially tires.

I had a BJCCD. They replaced the tires twice and then I got sick of it and asked them to send me a whole new stroller because I kept having tire issues.

Hold on to your proof of purchase because you will likely need it.

We had problems with the tires, handlebar and brakes.

Just my 2 cents. :)

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
arivecchi: That stinks that you had problems. I will call them. It's just a faint jingling noise. First I'm going to pop it out and put it back.. maybe that might fix the problem.

Ihafer: Good for you for coming up with that solution! I'm most likely going to get the belly bar.

arivecchi
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
You could also try some silicone spray.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I am thinking of getting this instead of the Vela because I want one that pushes really well.

Forgot to mention.. is the Vela made by Peg Perego? If so, I tested it in the store. It handled really nicely as well. It was also pretty light (lighter than the BJCM). I think what stuck out in my mind is that it seemed a little long to me. I use my stroller for shopping all the time, and wanted something easy to get in and around clothing racks and the like.

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I never use the safety strap. I have no idea how the stroller could possibly fold with my LO in it, so I just don't worry about it.

poohbear
11-19-2010, 04:59 PM
ITA with Lhafer. Never used the safety strap. It's a legal thing - I can't imagine what kind of goofball thing a kid could be doing to physically pull up the pull strap while sitting in the stroller to cause it to fold outward, since I have to physically lift it up to fold it!

I have a belly bar and I put cardboard into the back of the seat and I never had a problem with the upright issue. I highly recommend the belly bar.

I'm curious to play with the upright strap though...

The wheel ringing is a common comment. It's part of the stroller I think, but mine is from the back not the front. Call baby jogger. Their cs is awesome. They will most likely send you a new wheel. In my case they have gone above and beyond to fix my issues with my BJCM.

I love my BJCM. It's not perfect but it's an awesome stroller for my lifestyle.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks poohbear, and thank you again for your previous help in the stroller department:)

And the crimson color that I got is so nice!

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
We've got the crimson one too. Well, the orange ripped and we chose a crimson replacement cover...but yes, call them about the jingling wheel. One of our wheels made a grocery cart jingling sound, and the new one did not. I accidentally ended up having to take the Mini Double on the bus today with 2 boys in tow. Others ended up lifting it onto/off of the bus for me one-handed. Three different people lifted it onehanded, so it is confirmed that many people think it is lightweight.

We do not use the safety strap, and we do not need/use any boards in the back.

Edensmum
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Is the soft back like the hammock style back on the Silvercross Fizz? I really like that, ds naps so comfy with that set up.

poohbear
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Is the soft back like the hammock style back on the Silvercross Fizz? I really like that, ds naps so comfy with that set up.

I don't know what the fizz is like, but the seat on the BJCM is somewhat hammocky if it does not have the PE board in it...

LadyPeter
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Definitely call. I just got one and mine doesn't make any noise.

jerry_mishkata
11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I can't imagine what kind of goofball thing a kid could be doing to physically pull up the pull strap while sitting in the stroller to cause it to fold outward, since I have to physically lift it up to fold it!

LOL!:hysterical:

This reminds me of Baron Munchhausen pulling himself by the hair out of the water (so as not to drown)

salsah
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
i wouldn't worry about using the safety strap. i think they put it on their so that no one could sue them if the stroller closed when they didn't want it to (and caused some kind of injury). i can't imagine it happening, but you never know.

i also wouldn't worry about the upright strap either. i had an older version that did not have that (or the board in the back) and neither of my dc complained. if you find that your dc needs it, you can start using it or you can get a bumper bar instead (some babies who like to be really upright are happy pulling themselves up with (and holding onto) a bumper bar.

finally, the wheel issue is extremely common. after several frames and several wheels, i gave up and learned to live with the rattling noise. it is worth a call to cs in case you can resolve it. bj's quality control is terrible but their cs is great.

GL!

artvandalay
11-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. I won't worry about the straps. I am totally getting a belly bar.

And I didn't know the wheels were common complaints. That is disappointing, but good to hear their cs is good. I will call them Monday morning.

Have a great weekend!

sherry7
11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I also have the 2011 model. I don't use the safety straps either. Frankly, it seems like total overkill and defeats the main reason that I really like the stroller, which is simplicity of use. I think they put in on there in case some goofball folds up their kid with the stroller and tries to sue them. :wink2:

I agree with you about the "upright straps" being poorly designed. I posted about that after I received my stroller. I thought I was using it incorrectly, but there seems to only be one way to connect them.

I just bought the belly bar for mine (at Amazon, with free shipping), and I like it so far. I thought it was kind of pricey, but it really is well made and should hold up to feet pushing on it, etc. Olivia is still a little small to pull herself up with it, but I like to attach her toys to it using Baby Buddy straps.

artvandalay
11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I called Baby Jogger this morning, and they are sending me out a new front wheel attachement:bighand:

I'm glad you like the Belly Bar.. I am going to get one after xmas.. need to slow down my spending this month!

Giantbear
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I am new to the BJCM too, i just got the 2011 and have a couple questions myself, There are two rings on the seat that dont seem to do anything, are they to attach toys to? It also seems the the waist belt is a little high on my dd, she is 26.5 inches and 17 lbs, is there anyway to lower the waste belt? I have the shoulder strap on the lowest setting. So far, my daughter thinks the edible straps are the best part of it. I do wish the handle could be lowered, it is a little high for me at 5'7" and my wife at 5'4"

poohbear
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I am new to the BJCM too, i just got the 2011 and have a couple questions myself, There are two rings on the seat that dont seem to do anything, are they to attach toys to? It also seems the the waist belt is a little high on my dd, she is 26.5 inches and 17 lbs, is there anyway to lower the waste belt? I have the shoulder strap on the lowest setting. So far, my daughter thinks the edible straps are the best part of it. I do wish the handle could be lowered, it is a little high for me at 5'7" and my wife at 5'4"

There is a purpose for the rings, someone has said what they were and I don't remember. Maybe for making the harness into a 3-point harness... I think lhafer may know...

I don't think you can lower the waist belt. I would call baby jogger, though at your dd's stats, it seems like it should be okay, but maybe she needs a snuzzler in there?

Try holding the handle more towards the outer parts rather than at the top if you're uncomfortable. I'm 5'5 and it's perfect for me, but I like the handle to be high....

salsah
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM

you can use the rings to attach toys if you want, but i think they are there for the shoulder straps, if you want to just use the lap belt (3 point instead of 5 point harness).

i don't think that there is a way to adjust the lap belt, but you can shorten the crotch strap (IIRC) which will bring the belt down lower onto her lap. if your dd isn't complaining that it is uncomfortable, i wouldn't stress it, it shouldn't be problematic. the handle is high for some, but personally i prefer high handles. my dh, at 6', and i, at 5'5", love the height of the bjcm handle. give it a chance, at 5'4", your dw is borderline. she may be able to get used to it and find that it isn't a deal breaker. a friend of mine sold her bjcm because although she loved it, she thought that the handle was a little too high for her. of course she regretted that decision because she couldn't find anything she liked as much.

GL! I hope it works out for you!

lhafer
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Those D-rings (according to Baby Jogger CS) are for European models. No actual purpose for them here in the US. I use mine for attaching the shoulder part of the harness to them to they are out of the way, and my baby can pull herself upright any time she wants. That way she's still in a 3 pt harness.

As far as the handles being high - like pp have said, try holding the handle bar more on the outside of the bar. I am 5'7", and I find that if my hands start drifting down the sides I can kick the wheels. If I move my hands back up to the top, then I don't kick the wheels. So that might work well for you.

With the shoulder straps attached at the top, the middle of the harness (where the buckle is) will probably hit your baby somewhere in the abdomen area.

Giantbear
11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks folks