PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping habits - poll

momm
11-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Just wondering how you mammas handle/ handled newborns and kids sleeping. Poll coming up!

kristenk
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I voted the first option, but it was really more like

bassinet-contraption side-carred to the bed
bassinet set up like a stand-alone in our bedroom
bassinet in DD's bedroom
crib in DD's bedroom

I think we made the final transition to her crib when DD was almost 5 months old.

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
I voted for the first one but what really happened was everytime I tried to put DD down in the bassinette in our room she would scream. In the end, the only place she would sleep for the first 6 weeks of life was a swing. Then she moved into a crib. I had her in our room for the first 4 weeks but then I couldn't get a wink of sleep with her there, so we moved her to her own room (swing and all).

wellyes
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I voted option 1. DS goes to sleep in a bassinet. But honestly he is brought into our bed by 3 a.m. every night for night nursing.

With DD it was similar but she slept in a swing at the beginning of the night, then our bed.

elektra
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Voted option 1, but once DD transitioned from the crib to a big bed, it's OUR big bed that she's in and not hers.

lizzywednesday
11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
We used the carseat for the first week.

Then DD slept in our bed.

Then I'd let her fall asleep in my arms/while nursing & then transferred her to the bassinet.

When she outgrew the bassinet, we moved her to the crib.

Currently, we've regressed & she's back in our bed.

edurnemk
11-19-2010, 02:51 PM
We used a bassinet in our room, pulled up against my side of the bed. When he outgrew that we used the PnP with the bassinet thing. After a few weeks, I finally learned to BF lying on my side and that was the beginning of our unofficial partial cosleeping! DS would sleep most of the night in his bassinet, but usually after the 3-4 am feeding he'd stay in our bed.

We moved him to his crib in his own room at 7 months.

For our next one I'd like to look into a cosleeper.

LMPC
11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
First we had DD in the room with us but in her crib...then at about 4 months old, we moved her into her room (across the hall from us). I was totally freaked out those first few days after we moved her! Of course, both she and DH slept much better!

BabyMine
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
M was a preemie and had some medical problems so he slept in a bassinet in our room for a couple months until we moved him to his crib.

TT was in a bassinet for 4 weeks then went to the crib. He actually hated the bassinet but we had problems with severe reflux so we had him by us.

babychi
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
We did a crib from day one in DD's own bedroom...we have a spare bed in her room, so I slept there for the first few weeks to make nursing at night easier.

We are very happy with our decision...she started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks and is still such a great sleeper! This arrangement has worked well for us...DD, DH and I all get a good night's sleep! :)

AnnieW625
11-19-2010, 03:09 PM
DD1 slept in the pack n play all of the time from birth to 6 weeks old. She started sleeping in her crib during the day at 6 weeks old. At night she slept in the pack n play until she was 3 mos. old., and then moved to her crib full time. She stayed in her crib until she was 2 yrs. 3 mos. old.

DD2 didn't like the Pack N Play when we first brought her home so she slept in the Uppa Baby Vista bassinet until she was 7 weeks old. She took to her crib for both naps and night time pretty early and has been in there ever since.

ETA: DD2 also loved sleeping in her Nap Nanny!

smiles33
11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
The plan with DD1 was Arm's Reach co-sleeper in our room but she was too noisy for DH. Plus, I found with both DDs, the first 2 weeks we'd switch off with the girls sleeping on me or him, as they didn't fall asleep if they weren't held. After those first 2 weeks, then they went to the crib in a separate room. That was exhausting for me (getting up from my bed, walking over to another room, and then nursing for 80+ minutes) but DH is such a light sleeper. If we had a third, I'd probably just opt to put a bed in the nursery or sleep with the baby in a different room from DH.

BabbyO
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
His bed in his room from day one. Of course, I can walk from my bed to his in less than 10 steps. (Tiny house with bedrooms across from one another.)

He did/does occasionally get up to 1-2 hrs in our bed for nursing/calming, but not really all that often. He's always done well in the crib and even goes down for naps with minimal fussing. Last Saturday, he looked relieved when I put him down for his nap!

Nooknookmom
11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I voted bed sharing but there's a story behind it! I swore I'd never again start a baby off in my bed, which by nature leads to never getting the kid out of ones bed (unless someone has more umph than I do). DD1 slept with me for-ever. We've played musical bed's in our house since I DD1 was born.

So I got preggo with DD2 and I bought an Arm's Reach AND a Bebecar Stylo pram with the bassinet, figuring she could sleep in the bassinet / or the co-sleeper. In a perfect world that is not mine that would have worked great. I also had a really nice Pak n Play.

With DD2's reflux & sensory issues (EVERYTHING woke her up, just putting her down jostled her) + my being new to breastfeeding, she ended up in my bed. Add to that my super duper fear of newborns not breathing in the night, um yeah-right into the bed!

So, now she's 3.5 and still in the bed. However, I think she would sleep through the night in her own bed but then we'd actually have to try it to see it happen ;)

WolfpackMom
11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I voted 1. But really we used a cosleeper in the bassinet setting for the first 2-3 months and then he went into the crib. Sometimes if its a rough night of him waking up alot he will end up in our bed, but not usually anymore (except for those 5 am wake up calls, then he comes and nurses while I go back to sleep!).

MoJo
11-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Voted option 1, but once DD transitioned from the crib to a big bed, it's OUR big bed that she's in and not hers.

:yeahthat: exactly.

The PNP was in our room for the first several months for both DDs. The crib has always been in their room. I didn't have any issues with either girl in the PNP or the transition to the crib.

We weren't necessarily trying to switch DD#1 to her big bed. She was still in the crib when Ha was two weeks old and she became terrified of thunderstorms, which happened nearly every night for a week or so. I was severely sleep deprived, so I brought the two year old into my bed. . . and now that's where she naps and sleeps every night.

shawnandangel
11-19-2010, 03:40 PM
DD slept in her pack n' play from day 1 that we were home. It had a bassinet insert that we used until she reached the weight limit, and then she slept in the bottom part of the pack n' play until she was 14 months old. The Pack n' Play was in our room. At 15 months old she moved to her crib in her own room. It was a fairly easy transition.

We are about to convert her crib into a toddler day bed and I'm nervous to see how that goes.

boolady
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I voted "other." DD didn't really sleep at night, at all, for a long time. She was very colicky and refluxy, and I spent lots and lots of hours rocking and nursing her through the night in the rocker in her room. She did not sleep for a solid hour at night in either the bassinet in our room or in her crib (or the bouncer or the swing) until she was almost 3 months old. Then, (and I know this isn't always popular), the ped. suggested the car seat to keep her upright due to her reflux, and she started sleeping 2 or 3 hours at a time. We did that, in her crib, until she started sleeping better, then she went into her crib. She went to her crib as a toddler bed at 19 months after she became a climber, and has been in a double bed for about 8 months.

Moneypenny
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I voted crib in own room from the start, but we did try a couple of nights with her in our room. She was just so noisy and I was so hyper alert to every little grunt and squeak that I didn't sleep at all! So, into her own room she went (with the monitor on my nightstand).

luckytwenty
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
My kids (all three) wouldn't sleep lying flat as newborns, and my daughter needed constant movement. I ended up getting this, which I'm currently using for my son.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fisher+price+soothing+motions+glider&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16712982616258498741&ei=f9XmTPerAYH-8AaN3OiVCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEMQ8wIwAg#

I don't put it in motion for him because he can sleep without the motion, but he still likes to be kind of in infant carseat position all the same. At 8 weeks or so, we'll transition to the crib.

Gena
11-19-2010, 04:13 PM
DS turned out to be a very needy sleeper. So it's gone like this:

First 3 months: bassinet in our room, but often in our bed.
Next 3 months: crib in own room, but nearly always ended up in our bed.
Next year and a few months: our bed (we stopped fighting it and and decided to just let everyone get some sleep)
Before age two: Pack -n- Play next to our bed, to get him used to sleeping alone, with a gradual transition to sleeping in his crib in his own room.
Next couple of months: DS in crib in his own room, DH and I took turns sleeping on his floor with a hand in the crib.
A little over 2 years old: twin bed in own room, DH or I in the twin bed for part of the night.
Ages 3-5: own bed, own room
Age 6 (current): own bed half the time, comes to our bed half the time.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Both boys co-slept then crib. Ds1 only co-slept 3w before moving to his own crib in his room. He came back at around 8m to our bed for most nights, part of the night till he was 19mo.

Ds2 co-slept till 4-5m then onto his crib. Some co-sleeping here and there til he weaned at 17m.

Beth

Kira's Mommy
11-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Co-sleeping all the way and I'll do it again.

We both really enjoyed it and we both sleep better (well, we both actually *sleep*) this way. I think co-sleeping helped me with BF, which was off to a terrible start. I also really like the fact that she is close to me, that I always know whether she's cold or hot or rolled on her belly, or her nose is stuffed, I can see her, I can hear her breathing. I know, I am paranoid but I can't help it. She's growing so quickly and I'm sure I'll always cherish these memories of sleeping with my baby.

We started in a bassinet in our room for the first 5 days but that did not go well at all. She ended up in our bed on day 6 and we never looked back.

Yeah, she still does not sleep through the night and yeah, she loves to nurse at night but she seems to be a perfectly well rested, happy and healthy baby and I am reasonably well rested mama. My big plan is to transition her to her crib by 18 months. We'll see how that goes.

daisymommy
11-19-2010, 07:30 PM
We cosleep/share the family bed and have the Arms Reach attached from day one, until about 1 year old. We sleep with baby in our bed (which is so awesome for nursing!) but if I want some extra space or to spread out more then I scootch baby on over into the Arms Reach cosleeper. Baby comes back and forth into bed for nursing and snuggles. It's nice to have the option of the Arms Reach for extra space.

dec756
11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
we moved ds out of our room at 7 months, he has always slept in his crib from day 1 but with ebfing there were many nights mommy couldnt get up to put him back in bed :)

erosenst
11-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I voted crib on day 1, but it was actually day 2. We had planned to keep her in our room in a bassinet for a month or two. It was record breaking cold when we brought her home, and the only place for a bassinet was by a window. DH was concerned about it, so we moved her. Turned out to be a great choice for all of us - she was a noisy sleeper, so I didn't have to hear every grunt and snuffle... and we never had to transition her out of our bed/room.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM
i voted other. first 6weeks he slept in either a bassinet or in the arm's reach cosleeper. to be honest though i didn't really like having him sleep in our room, i would wake up and get anxious with every noise/cry he made. at 6weeks he got too big for a bassinet/cossleeper anyway and moved right to the crib, and it was so much better!! at 2mos he started sleeping all naps in nap nanny (crib was nighttime use only). around 6-7mos tho he got too big for nap nanny so he only slept in crib.

elephantmeg
11-19-2010, 09:52 PM
the first week or so basinette or bouncy by our bed, then I moved them to our 1/2 bath (ajoins to our room), then to their cribs. Both were in their cribs for at least part of the night by 5-6 wks, I would bring them back to bed to nurse and often forget to put them back in their cribs, lol

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
We used the Bugaboo bassinet until 2-2.5m, then straight into the crib across the hall. DS1 asked me yesterday if he could sleep in it again. He just turned 3.

Raidra
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Our kids have all followed the same pattern:

In our bed exclusively for the first few weeks, then
A combo of in our bed and in the crib, which is side-carred until about 6 months, then
In the crib, still in our room, but not next to our bed until after 12 months, then
Mattress on the floor in our room until 15-18 months, then
Big kid bed in the kids' room.

We're not ready to move the crib away from our bed yet with Niall, though.. even though he's super heavy, he's up a LOT at night and I don't want to have to keep getting in and out of bed.

Indianamom2
11-19-2010, 10:00 PM
My preference would have been for babies to be in their crib, in their own room, from day one. It is what worked just fine for #2, but #1 was not so easy.

I voted other because with DD, from day 1, she wouldn't sleep. Initially, she slept in a cradle in our room by my side of the bed. That lasted about 2 weeks, maybe. Next, we tried her crib, but she was having NONE of that. Eventually, she and I ended up in the guest bedroom, with her propped up in the Boppy pillow (not recommended) on one side of the bed, and me on the other. After about 4 months of that, I moved her, in the Boppy, to her crib, and then eventually just her in her crib.

She still doesn't sleep well. Ds sleeps like a champ.

hillview
11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
We co slept for about 6 weeks with each boy, moved to a PNP in our room til almost 3 months. Moved to crib in bedroom around 3 months. To each his / her own -- there is no right answer.
/hillary

catsnkid
11-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I voted cosleeper but to be honest DS started in the co-sleeper, than got too big. I tried putting him in the bottom of it, but he would eventually wake up and get mad... He has been in our bed since about 10 months..

Tondi G
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I had 2 different scenarios with my boys

DS1 we had a pack n play and a bassinette and he wouldn't sleep in either. He ended up in bed with us nursing for much of the night. When we finally moved him into the crib in his room he slept in his infant car seat placed into the crib. It was a nightmare. he didn't sleep through the night until he was about 8 or 9 months old and then he was teething and took his first steps at 10 months so there was no consistency with him at all. We were very tired.

DS2 he slept in a moses basket in the arms reach co sleeper next to our bed till he was 8 weeks old. Then we put him in the crib in his own room (and brought our 4 yr old into bed with us for a while). He slept 8 hours a night right around 8 weeks of age. We were amazed. He was and still is a fantastic sleeper.

baymom
11-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Both our kids started off sleeping in a bassinet in our room (mainly to make frequent newborn nursings easier on me) and then at about 4 months, moved to their own room, into a crib. They still now share a room with two twin beds, but generally wake up in our room! :love-retry: At around 6-6:30am each day, they find their way into our bed. I actually love it, as DH and I get to stay up late in our bedroom, if we need to without worrying about waking up the children, but also the huge pleasure of waking up with two, warm snuggly bodies every morning.

citymama
11-20-2010, 03:35 AM
DD1 - crib from day 1, in our room till 15 months
DD2 - intended to be in cosleeper initially, then crib in our room. In practice, we/she hated the cosleeper past the first week or so. So she slept in our bed for the first 2.5 months, and then crib in our room.

brittone2
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
We're cosleepers. I never intended to with DS1 initially but he hated his bassinet. Even at the hospital he wasn't thriled and we ended up cosleeping there. He spent 2-3 nights in his bassinet at home when I realized how much happier we all were w/ him in our bed. He coslept for 3 years.

When I was pg with DD I sold the crib on CL and knew we'd just cosleep again.

DS2 is currently cosleeping.

alexsmommy
11-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Co-sleeper until too big, then our bed until weaned first around one year, then after some time after that transition work towards crib (14 months or so). Having said that, DS3 is BY FAR my biggest mama's boy and the others were pretty bad. DH and I are dreading the transition when it comes - I won't be shocked if DS3 is with us longer than the others. DS3 is spoiled. I mean it. Everyone knows he our last baby (meaning DH and I and my parents) so we baby him. My parents hold him through every nap. Yep. So of course on the days I'm home he feels quite strongly that I should not expect him to nap in his crib all alone. So he takes short naps until he wakes up to change positions, realizes I've snuck him in his crib and wakes up pissed. Sigh. So while the others were taking naps in their cribs when they got too big for the co-sleeper, DS3 hasn't done it well.

gatorsmom
11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Gator- bassinet then crib
Cha cha- Arm's Reach Co-sleeper then our bed then crib
Twins- pack n play AND our bed then cribs

hellokitty
11-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't vote, b/c all three of my kids were different.

DS1 was in a bassinet for 6 wks in our room and then I transitioned him into his own crib in his own rooms.

DS2 was in the bassinet for a wk, but we kept waking one another up (he would cry in his sleep and then when we went over to see what was wrong, he'd wake up and we were exhausted, not getting any sleep), so he went into his crib by wk 2 in his own room and did a lot better.

DS3 I used an arms reach co-sleeper (LOVED it), for 4 mo and then basically HAD to put him in a crib, b/c he was so big, he outgrew the co-sleeper! He transitioned very smoothly into his own room and crib.

zag95
11-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Our house is a one level ranch- DD's room was right across the hall- we could easily hear her- it was much easier to have there be a bit of distance between her and us- and my mommy ears were always on- esp when DH was snoring away!