PDA

View Full Version : So I started my 5 month old on solids today, and started with

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Bananas. I wasn't planning on it. I was going to wait until she turns 6 months (which is in a week and a half). I was going to start her on cereal (my ped recommends starting with cereal first).

Well, I was holding her this morning, and eating a banana. When I hold her, she opens her mouth whenever I eat. So I turned my head, and next thing I know, she lunges towards the banana and has it in her mouth! :rotflmao:

I took it out, mashed it up with a little water, and she ate a little of it.

My worry is: Do you think starting with something sweet (like bananas) will make her want to reject meat/veggies/etc.?

Is there something wrong with starting with bananas?

BabbyO
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
This is almost how DS started eating solids...he reached for and tried to grab any food I had in my hands/on my plate.

We managed to make it a little longer at about 6.5 mo...but he started with avocado spread on toast fingers.

I've read and heard that starting with sweet things can make it difficult to introduce veggies, etc later, but I don't know. As it turned out, my DS HATED fruit and sweet things until he was about 9-10 mo old.

The only concern I've heard about bananas is that they can make LO's constipated - in some cases. They don't seem to affect my DS.

FWIW...I let my DS show me what he wanted. As long as it wasn't peanuts or anything that could pose a choking hazzard (or any of the items he's allergic to) we let him have it. Including chicken and beef strips, steamed veggies, couscous, etc at 7 mo.

Good luck...more fun begins. I love watching the faces they make as they learn the flavors and textures of food!

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Don't worry about that. We did banana as an early food with DD and she actually prefers vegetables to fruit. In fact, she hates bananas. Also there is no requirement that says to start with rice cereal. Bananas are a great first food.

artvandalay
11-19-2010, 03:34 PM
OK thanks guys. I feel better now!

WolfpackMom
11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
We did bananas and pears first, it worked out fine.

twowhat?
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
If you've ever tasted breastmilk (if she's BF), it's very sweet. Almost like a custard sweet.

wellyes
11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Very cute :)

YouAreTheFocus
11-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think what they start with has any bearing on what they'll like or reject later. Mine started with pureed fruits and sweet orange veggies, and now prefers green veggies, meat, egg, fish, cheese--really anything savory.

lchang25000
11-19-2010, 07:41 PM
We started with sweet potatoes and now DS loves fruit/veggies, but does not really eat meat or fish.