PDA

View Full Version : Help, please!

mbee85
11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I am looking for a convertible car seat for grandma's car. Actually Ive been looking for months and need to make a decision and move on!

I am trying to find one that isn't too expensive and has a forward facing limit of atleast 50 lbs. I looked at the Evenflo Titan Elite but then read the negative reviews on here that it doesn't actually last till 50 lbs. My baby is the 100% for height.

Any suggestions??

Also, if someone purchases a car seat that goes to 40 lbs, what do they do when their child outgrows it--put them in a booster? We purchased a Britax Blvd. for my car, assuming that we wouldn't move DD to a booster until much past 40 lbs. But I am curious to know if people with 40 lb. limit seats move the child into a booster at 40 lbs?

THANK YOU!:D

edurnemk
11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Also, if someone purchases a car seat that goes to 40 lbs, what do they do when their child outgrows it--put them in a booster? We purchased a Britax Blvd. for my car, assuming that we wouldn't move DD to a booster until much past 40 lbs. But I am curious to know if people with 40 lb. limit seats move the child into a booster at 40 lbs?

Are you talking about the REAR FACING weight limit? The BLVD, even the older model goes to 65 lb Forward facing. The new model has a 70 lb FF limit (40 lb). Most convertibles have FF limits way over 40 lb as far as I know.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
My Roundabout only went to 40lbs forward facing. Ds1 outgrew it around 4.5yo and we did go to a high backed booster for a while...till I knew better. Then I bought a Nautilus (don't like that seat but it did it's job) so he could be harnessed again.

Beth

mbee85
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I am talking about a Forward Facing limit. Our Blvd has a FF limit of 65 and I wanted something that has a FF limit of atleast 50. I thought the standard convertible had a FF limit of 40...

edurnemk
11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I am talking about a Forward Facing limit. Our Blvd has a FF limit of 65 and I wanted something that has a FF limit of atleast 50. I thought the standard convertible had a FF limit of 40...

Oh, Ok. I think the tendency in the market is for higher weight limits now.

I have an Evenflo Triumph Advance (http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=148&pfid=2636) for DH's car, we don't use it much and DS is not yet 3 so I'm not sure how high the slots go (since they tend to be outgrown by height sooner than by weight). The FF limit is 50 lb and the shell seems taller than the Blvd's. You can find it for less than $100 and many posters really like it. I do too, but I prefer the Blvd we have in my car.

ETA: I've also read a lot of positive comments about the SK Radian 65 for tall kids.

westgre
11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I really like our Evenflo Triumph Advance as well. It's easy to install and very easy to use. A great seat at a great price!

KrisM
11-19-2010, 10:47 PM

There are combination seats that are FF only and harness and then become a booster. Even after my kids outgrew the Boulevard, by height not weight, they weren't ready for just a booster and I moved them to Radians (taller slots) and a Frontier (harness and then a booster).

AshleyAnn
11-19-2010, 10:50 PM
My DD is 97% for height and did not have much growing room in either evenflo seat. It was alright but I didn't see her fitting in it long enough to make it worth the money especially rear facing.

I bought her a Truefit Premier and she has tons of room in it. It rearfaces to 35lbs and forward faces to 65lbs. Its pricey ($180-$250) but you can get the orginal model for just over $100. The only difference is the rearfacing anti-rebound bar and an 'improved' angle indicator for rearfacing.

Joolsplus2
11-20-2010, 10:19 AM
A Graco My Ride is a reasonable choice, or an Evenflo Triumph. Or go with two inexpensive seats, like the Evenflo Tribute and then the Evenflo Maestro (a good plan if you are thinking of another kiddo...).

Typically height limits are more important, and typically, you want to keep kids rearfacing till about 18-24 months, then forward facing harnessed to 4-5, and then in a belt positioning booster till they are 57+ inches tall (about age 9-12, depending on how well the seatbelt fits). The Boulevard typically fits kids to about age 5 and about 45 pounds, then you go to a booster (so does the My Ride, Triumph, Symphony, Alpha Omega Elite). The Titan, you read right, only fits kids to 3, max, because the top slots are several inches shorter than all those seats.

Hope that helps frame your seat buying choices a little, it's so hard to guess how a kid will grow when you're used to a bouncing ball of baby chub that seems like it will grow a ton forever :love-retry: