PDA

View Full Version : Bike for 3 year old

jgenie
11-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting DS1 a bike of some sort for Christmas or his January birthday. The only ride on toy he has currently is the Step 2 ride on buggy - his feet stay inside and we push it. I have a Cozy Coupe I bought for $15 that we haven't put together and I was thinking of getting the Fire Engine Cozy Coupe and making those the Santa gifts for DS1 and DS2 this year. Should I offer a trike or bike as a gift option for people that are asking? I was thinking a balance bike but DS1 is tiny and I don't know if he'll be able to maneuver one. TIA

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm going for a trike. I get worried about the balance bikes because while some on here rave about them and have great success, they have been dust collectors for others. I think I have more chance of success with a tricycle. There is one at Costco right now that can be an upright style or a more reclined "big wheels" type one (which I loved growing up!). But, I also saw a short 2 wheeler and considered that too. I think I'll go with the trike though. I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

Beth

Dr C
11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd either go for a balance bike or a 12" bike with training wheels. But a nice trike would be ok too. Really a bike with training wheels vs a trike are pretty similar in my mind once you get past the stage where a handle to push the trike would be useful. A 3 y.o. should be able to do either (if he can't yet, he will probably figure it out this spring). The advantage of the bike with training wheels is you can later remove said training wheels and it becomes a real bike... a trike is always a trike.
We have LOVED our balance bike here, but there is also something to be said for a bike or trike with pedals because using pedals is a different (and no less important) skill that they need to master before riding a real bike (without training wheels). We did the bike with training wheels FIRST (learning how to pedal), then the balance bike, then back to the bike without training wheels. The balance bike has been awesome. Because of it, DS is 4 and rides like a champ.

So if many people are looking to get you gifts--get a both! or all 3! You do have another DC to use them.

christiedavid3
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
We are BIG balance bike fans here. DS got a Strider balance bike for his 2nd birthday and got really good at it by 2 1/2. He got a 2 wheeler 12" bike with training wheels last January. He is now 3.25 and is riding his bike without training wheels like a champ!!! I posted a video here last week. I attribute a lot of his skill to the balance bike.

If you can swing both a balance bike and a trike or bike with training wheels, I think that would be your best bet.

LaCostaMom
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I am also a huge proponent of the Balance Bike! I've posted photos and video here of DS on his Hotwalk. Within just a few days he was coasting and a couple of weeks later, he was going down small hills with his feet up. It is such a thrill to see the joy on his face as he rides. :)

We had a trike when he turned 2 but both he & twin DD got very frustrated with it and it largely sat unused. I ended up selling it 6 months later. If you're going to get a trike, I strongly suggest you get one with a push bar. My back hurt like crazy from bending over and pushing them around because they couldn't work the pedals.

One of the things I've been telling people to do is go watch some of the youtube videos out there of these little kids riding their balance bikes. That's what we did with DS. When we went to our LBS and pulled out a balance bike for him to try, he got on, had a couple of missteps (spills) and then was "riding" around the store.

Some of the older kids in our neighborhood who are still trying to learn to ride with training wheels look at DS with looks of "HEY! how come he doesn't need training wheels?". It makes you kind of chuckle but at the same time, you can understand their frustration (I certainly can - learning to ride with training wheels was traumatic for me).

Good luck! Sounds like you have a lot of generous loved ones - I'm sure you'll get something perfect for your DS.