PDA

View Full Version : I cleaned out my closet

niccig
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Getting dressed in the morning was a real battle as I had all these mixed up clothes, some that I no longer wore, were old and worn or just didn't fit. So I went through and did a clean out last night when DH worked late.

Things that are too small, but I'm now hanging out in MommyFit, so I might fit them again, I put in a plastic bin to store on the top shelf. I then rearranged so all my summer items are stored on the side that's more difficult to reach, and my jeans, long-sleeved shirts are right where I can grab them - do not know why it's taken me 5 years to figure that out with my closet.

Oh, and I went through and ditched all the underwear with stretched elastic - no more hunting through a drawer to find panties that stay up!

Getting dressed is going to be much quicker now.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I did that a few weeks ago too. I also took all the special underwear and put it in a little box in my underwear drawer. I was sick of pulling it out every day when all I wanted was regular stuff. Now, when I reach in the drawer I pull out wearable stuff.

Clothes, I got hard core with those. I had a bunch of professional clothes but I donated them because my lifestyle just isn't set for that plus I weigh less than I used to- that stuff will (hopefully) never be wearable. I did ok with bummy, hanging around the house/ cleaning clothes but I still have too many.

I now have the huge pile waiting to be donated cluttering my room but at least it's out of my drawers and closet!

Beth

DrSally
11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Doesn't it feel great! I still have to get rid of all my stuff I'm not going to wear (wrong size, old style). It also feels so great to get rid of stretched out nursing bras and PP underware!

hellokitty
11-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Glad you cleaned out your closet! It makes a huge difference. I ended up just donating all of my smaller clothes, b/c styles have changed since I last fit into them.

salsah
11-20-2010, 07:09 PM
that's great. i just did that recently too and it makes such a huge difference.

KrisM
11-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Way to go! It is nice, isn't it? I did it this fall as well. I got rid of a bunch of stuff and it's so nice now to find things.

maiaann
11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
:thumbsup: Good for you! I love reading "de-cluttering" and "organizing" posts. It's helping me get motivated to do the same!

brittone2
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Way to go :boogie:

I just did mine about 2 weeks ago. it is kind of barren...between purging post partum transition clothes and some of the dated stuff I hung onto out of desperation while DH was in grad school. However, if you aren't wearing it, it isn't doing you any good. It feels good to have space and it is easier to get dressed.

I just got done purging DS1's closet tonight which is always a chore. He hates trying stuff on but was oddly agreeable for some reason tonight. I have a huge pile to pack up for DS2 to wear. Nice to get it done pre-move so that the clothes that go into his room at the new place actually fit ;)

Good job with the purging! So liberating, and it always feels extra good to me to do it before the influx of holiday stuff.

ThreeofUs
11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Great job!! I can't wait to do this.

I have an awful moth problem in my closet that I just can't deal with, unless I take absolutely everything out, wash down the walls, and then figure out what to do with the clothes.

Off to research what to do.

Thanks for the good example!

wellyes
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I soooo need to do this.

I read a book by Nina Garcia (fashion editor lady from Project Runway who is from Colombia) and she said the most astonishing thing to her is how many clothes American women have in their closets. Every woman in the US has a closet crammed full, even though they only actually wear a small portion of it ever. She advises us to have nothing more than one dozen quality outfits and 1-2 special occasion dresses. I thought that was an insightful comment and it made me really want to pare down.