PDA

View Full Version : Balance bikes - any thoughts on these brands??

jgenie
11-20-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm looking at balance bikes for DS1 for Christmas / Bday and came across these three.

- Costco version $90 shipped (http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11288723&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|195&N=4007943&Mo=13&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=195&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=)

- Skuut $70 shipped after coupon (http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Toys-games/Skuut-Balance-Bike/e/856658001377/?itm=1&USRI=skuut)

- Strider $100 shipped (http://www.mystriderbike.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1)

I like the price of the Skuut but don't like the return policy at B&N. I like the return policy at Costco but haven't heard of the brand. Thoughts? TIA

wimama
11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
DS has a Strider. I researched all the balance bikes before buying and Strider gets pretty awesome reviews. It is a really light bike, which is really nice because it is easy to maneuver and lighter for you to carry when DS decides to walk. It fits both smaller and bigger kids pretty well. You can also get a extra-long seat post to extend the life of the bike, which is what we did. We bought DS his on his fourth birthday. He was too small for a 16" bike, so we bought him a Strider. He loves it.

I didn't want the kind of balance bike, like the Costco bike. To me the foot rest that come out seem like they get in the way. I watched some of the kids riding those style bikes on Youtube and it seemed more awkward, since their feet have to reach out further to push. I think it would be harder to take a full stride. When DS is riding his Strider, it looks like he is running when he is pushing. He can take nice natural strides on it.

Some people really like their Skutt bikes. But last year I asked a salesman at REI if they had any Skutts to try out in the store and he tried to talk me out of the Skutt, saying they get them back in for repairs often. To me a metal bike seems more durable. So, we went with the Strider. DS's Strider has a chunk of seat cover missing from a tumble he took, but otherwise is holding up really well.

I would suggest watching videos on Youtube. Just type in Strider Balance Bike or other brand of bike in the search and you can watch a bunch of videos. Also, have your DS watch a few videos. It helps them get the idea of the balance bike down.

groundhog74
11-21-2010, 12:23 AM
What about this one from Costco?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11541071&search=balance&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=balance&Ntt=balance&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

baileygirl
11-21-2010, 12:53 AM
We bought the strider bike for ds1 when he was 2. I think we gave it to him a bit early (and without any hills) because he didn't take to it. He is turning 4, and my goal was to teach him how to ride a bike this winter...so I got it out last week and pointed out how he could glide. He became a total daredevil going pretty fast down some hills. Since he was doing such a good job balancing, we tried out a bike without training wheels this weekend...and easy he was riding.

ETA: I don't know anything about the other bikes, but the strider bike is light weight...so it can be carried pretty easily.

vludmilla
11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
DD absolutely loves her Strider. It is so light and eas to maneuver. A little boy a few houses down from us also has one and he seems to love his too. He is only about 2.5yo and he can use his quite well too. I think it is great for younger or smaller children especially.

christiedavid3
11-21-2010, 10:12 AM
another big thumbs up for the Strider!

Melaine
11-21-2010, 10:17 AM
What about this one from Costco?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11541071&search=balance&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=balance&Ntt=balance&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Is that in store or just online? I'd love to look at it in person.

groundhog74
11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I think it is just online. I was considering getting it for DD for her birthday.

Melaine
11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry to throw another bike into this thread, but what about this one? Reviews look good: http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-7600-Balance-Bike/dp/B001QIH7QA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

mnosky1
11-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Do any b&m store carry the strider? I hate to spend that much on something without much hope of return without ever me or dd trying it.

LaCostaMom
11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
The Strider was our 2nd choice (we ended up with the Specialized Hotwalk). I can't think of anything negative to say about it based on my research and the recommendations we received from a cyclist friend who sells them and whose daughter rode one.

Out of the 3 you posted, I would definitely go with the Strider. It's a really good value for your money.

mnosky1 - you can call Strider and they will tell you if there are any retailers in your area. A lot of the "retailers" are parents who don't actually have store fronts or a supply. I believe they are dealers who have the product drop-shipped to your home.

DrSally
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
We had the Strider as our first BB at 2.5 yo. It was a perfect height for that age. DD is now 2.5 and has walked with it. I liked the Hotwalk, but it was a bit tall for that age. FWIW, I got my Strider for $70 by shipping to a local bike store and then putting it together ourselves (not hard).

stonecali
11-22-2010, 01:08 AM
I have heard from the owner of our local mom and pop toy store that the Skuut's axel breaks after a lot of going up and down the little lip between the street and the curb. I guess our entire neighborhood is built with the lip. (you have to be careful when pushing your stroller over it even.... it doesn't look very big at all but it can stop the stroller if you're not careful!)

I was looking at getting the Strider as well for DS. But then I noticed some other brands have hand brakes. We have some hills around us.... are the hand brakes something to consider?