PDA

View Full Version : ISO affordable, non-smelly night cream

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm on the hunt for some night cream. LOVED my skinceuticals, but it is gone and the wallet says it cannot be replaced. I grabbed some Olay thing today, but the smell of it is giving me a headache. I'm old so it needs to be like a miracle in a jar. TIA!

twowhat?
11-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Cerave? I use that, or pure jojoba oil depending on my mood.

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Can you describe the cerave? Is it okay for sensitive skin?

twowhat?
11-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Can you describe the cerave? Is it okay for sensitive skin?

Absolutely. Dermatologists routinely recommend Cerave and Vanicream for babies with eczema.

I tend to like Cerave a bit better (though both are great for dry skin) because Cerave REALLY absorbs nicely, doesn't feel greasy, and has no odor. Vanicream is a bit thicker and greasier and has a slight odor. It absorbs well, but it takes more effort to rub it in. Neither are marketed as facial night creams. But I use them on my face (and everywhere else, and all over my girls too:)). It is fantastic stuff.

The jojoba oil is nice (BBB recommended:)) too - it's light and absorbs nicely and doesn't leave a greasy feel if you work it in well (and right after a shower or bath). And totally budget-friendly. I use this most nights. I use Cerave or Vanicream if the air is especially dry.

WatchingThemGrow
11-21-2010, 12:14 AM
We have vanicream for DS1's skin. Does it feel weird to have regular lotion on your face? i thought it needed to be special to be on the face. Hmmm...

twowhat?
11-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Try it and see:) I think that Cerave and Vanicream are considered creams, which are a step up from lotions in terms of being helpful for dry skin (ointments are considered most helpful but most people don't use them because of the heavy greasy feel - imagine smearing Aquaphor on your face every night:))

My opinion is that all those facial lotion/cream makers are making big bucks off of marketing. The key to healthy skin is keeping it well moisturized and protected from the sun. FWIW my dermatologist friend uses Vanicream on her face every day and night.

Just thought of something - if you try it (and like it) and want to make it feel more luxurious, you could mix a drop or two of your favorite essential oil into the tub!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
cerave is great. dh's derm prescribed it for his super-dry skin. it has no odor at all and does not feel greasy whatsoever. we put it on ds sometimes too in the winter since his skin can get really dry.

WatchingThemGrow
11-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Any other recommendations for facial night creams for an old lady?

LMPC
11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
This old lady likes Burts Bees overnight cream (with Royal Jelly...I don't know what that is, but it makes me laugh!). I don't remember thinking it was super cheap, but cheaper than most. On my eyes, I use Keihl's -- I try and weasel as many free samples from their counter as possible. I use the one with avocado, even though it has parabens in it :(

bigpassport
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Have you tried Ebay? I got a $90 jar of Lancome Renergie Night for $40 and it is lasting me over a year. What I did was go to the cosmetic counter at Nordstrom and got some samples of what I wanted to try (Nordstrom because they will make you a generous little sample jar that will be plenty for a week) and then went on Ebay to find a deal.

wellyes
11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Vaseline. No, seriously. Best night moisturizer ever. Feel gunky putting it on but you wake up and your skin is *fantastic*. Does not lead to breakouts as you might expect. It's also super cheap and, surprisingly, a 0 in the SkinDeep hazard scale.

There is an unscented version and I think I read something about the baby version being a little better, but I can't remember why.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I like Argan Oil. I am using the one for problem skin right now, I'm having adult acne issues. I figure the acne has to make me look younger, right? :wink2:

http://www.amazon.com/Kae-Argatherapie-Argan-Oil-Moroccan/dp/B0010KU2NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290367241&sr=8-1

A little goes a LONG way, and my skin has never looked better. It gets great reviews, too. Since my Synthroid began my skin has been crazy. I use this one normally and the problem skin one sometimes, when needed. A bottle lasts 6 months or so.

infomama
11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm a Yes to Carrots fan (cucumber line) so I would try this....http://www.yestocarrots.com/product/intensive-skin-repair-serum?product_id=7331003

jerseygirl07067
11-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Eucerin makes a nice one. I can't remember the name, as I used it a while back. I think it has CoEnzyme Q10 in it. It's not the anti-redness one. It comes in a peach colored box, if I remember correctly.

Cerave is nice too, it comes in a lotion or a cream. Cetaphil makes a cream too.

Edit: Found the link to the Eucerin one. It gets good reviews:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp40000/eucerin/q10_anti_wrinkle_sensitive_skin_creme.htm

HTH!

WatchingThemGrow
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Ok, I went to two stores looking for options this morning and struck out both times. Ended up ordering the Eucerin Q10 with S&S from Amazon for $18/2 jars, delivered on Wed. Driving from store to store to find stuff makes me nuts, and I really enjoyed the Q10 products I used a few years ago in the blue jar - nivea? The cerave didn't come in a jar that looked like it would fit in my tiny medicine cabinet, unfortunately. fingers crossed this will make me feel younger!

DrSally
11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I've used the Nivea Q10. It has a nice texture. Can't remember if it has a scent. I used Vanicream on my face and really liked it. The pump is in DS's room, as we use it on his dry skin all over, so I haven't been using it on myself.