PDA

View Full Version : Flat or fitted waterproof mattress pad?

mjs64
11-21-2010, 04:38 AM
So I'm definitely going to use a waterproof pad, but I can't decide between flat and fitted. What I've read suggests that fitted makes sure that the pad doesn't shift under an infant, potentially creating breathing issues. But fitted also, according to what I've read, makes sheets fit less well, which would also contribute to the breathing issue. I've also read that flat dry more quickly and make late night sheet changing easier. Which do you prefer for an infant?

indigo99
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
We have a fitted and then a flat for backup. He slept in the pack-and-play for the first few months, and we used a flat one on that because he didn't move around that much.

His mattress is rather large. I thought it would be easier to use a flat because you just put it on top, but then it shifts when we lift up the mattress to put the sheet on top anyway.

In the end, I prefer the fitted. The corner sections are just sheet material so they dry faster than the waterproof part on top... but we have been pretty lucky and haven't had any major problems that require lots of bedding changes.

BabyBearsMom
11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
We have a fitted pad. We have no problems with our sheets fitting snuggly. Our mattress is the Colgate Classica and our mattress pad and sheets are both from Lands End (the pad isn't made anymore).

Kindra178
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Flat is so much easier for middle of the night puking changes. We have the Naturopedic one - it's totally waterproof and keeps our mattress totally dry. It lays really flat so we don't have any problems fitting the sheet.

zag95
01-03-2011, 03:44 AM
we have a fitted Carter's waterproof mattress pad. Also have a flat Carter's mattress pad, when DD was an infant and tended to "leak" more, that we would lay her down on- so if there was a leak, we'd remove the offending layer. Also have used Ultimate Crib sheets.

HonoluluMom
01-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I use the Cloud and Stars flat waterproof organic mattress pad under the QuickZip crib sheet. It fit perfectly under the sheet and has never shifted. The flat pad and zipper sheet made changing the sheets, especially in the middle of the night, as easy as I suppose it could be.

http://www.cloudsandstars.com/naturalcottontopcribmattresspadecru-1.aspx