PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about mama cloth

hillview
11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
I have heavy flow. I am interested in mama cloth. Please recommend:
a brand
a size
how many (I have heavy flow for about 3-4 days -- we do wash every day)

Also please
how do you wash?
can you wash with other clothes?
is it gross?

Thanks!
/hillary

Edensmum
11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I have several from party in my pants. I like the flannel better. It's not gross, much less so and the paper and adhesive IMO. I wear fabric on my body from everything else this just seems like clothes. I liked the larger/overnight pads in paper, the ulrathing but long ones. So I prefer for heavy days the I go with the queen pad or overnight pad they make. I am plus sized, but I find that without that length, laying down things travel and leak, I found this with paper too.
I was them alone, with Charlies Soap, which I use for my dipes too. I wouldn't use fabric softener or anything as build up affects the absorbency of fabrics. I have a planetwise wet/dry bag. I keep them in the dry side and move them to the wet bag, wash the lot when my period is over, put them back in the dry side and hang it in the closet until next time. It's one additional load of laundry per month, much comfier and after the initial out put of cost, cheaper.

Katigre
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Are you interested in using something like a diva cup or sea sponge internally with mama cloth as a back-up, or just mama cloth for your entire period?

I use a Diva cup with cloth pantiliners as backup.

Melaine
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I also use a Diva cup with mama cloth for backup. AF is very heavy, I couldn't use just cloth (or just disposable pads for that matter). I have one from Party In My Pants and I really like that one. I have a couple from LunaPads, and they are my least favorite. Most of mine are from here: http://hyenacart.com/Rachelslegalpad/
I like them a lot and like supporting a young entrepreneur. Her pads are still a great price but they used to be dirt cheap. I honestly think she figured out she wasn't really making any money!
I don't think it is gross, but honestly if that were all I was using for my heavy flow, then yeah I would probably be a bit grossed out. As it is, it's no big deal. I wash them with towels and rags, although I've thrown them in with clothes a couple times too. I use whatever "free" detergent is on sale for all our clothes and no softener or dryer sheets.
I need to get a wet bag to use.

ETA: I loooooooove the Diva cup. Changed my life.

hillview
11-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks all. I do use a diva cup about every other month and like it but I still need a pretty absorbant pad. And sometimes I just don't feel like using the Diva.

Thanks for the links ladies! I think I will try a couple and see how it goes.
/hillary

infomama
11-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I loooooooove the Diva cup. Changed my life.
Amen to that.

Melaine
11-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I was them alone, with Charlies Soap, which I use for my dipes too. I wouldn't use fabric softener or anything as build up affects the absorbency of fabrics. I have a planetwise wet/dry bag. I keep them in the dry side and move them to the wet bag, wash the lot when my period is over, put them back in the dry side and hang it in the closet until next time. It's one additional load of laundry per month, much comfier and after the initial out put of cost, cheaper.

Ok, I've got to get that bag. Your method sounds much more organized and neat than mine!

daisymommy
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I've posted this before in the Butts/Diapering forum. We had a long discussion years ago on the topic of "mama cloth".

Up until several years ago, I had the most horrific menstrual cramps every single month. My periods would last 7-8 days, and were so heavy for at least 4 days that I became anemic, went through a whole pack of super heavy pads, and had to take 800 mg. of Motrin every 4 hours just to make it through the day. It was bad.

Then I read about "mama-cloth" (cloth pads), and how for many women, it cured their problems. I am normally a pretty squeamish person, and it sounded a bit gross to me, but I was willing to try anything! The very first cycle that I used cloth pads, my period was only 4 days long--versus 8! It was what I would consider a "normal" period, just used regular size pads, and the cramps were so mild I only took some Tylenol once.

The next time, and every month after that, my periods were so much lighter, only lasted 3-4 days, and my cramps were either non-existent, or so mild that I didn't feel the need to take anything at all.

This for me was a miracle! And for anyone who thinks it was just a coincidence, when my family went on Christmas vacation about a year ago, I didn't want the inconvenience of using cloth pads, so I brought along disposables. Once again, I was in terrible pain, and had a hard time enjoying my vacation. That "test" proved it to me!

Here is a link to a wonderful article that convinced me to try cloth pads:
http://www.fresh-moon.com/article_2/The-Period-Predicament-Part-1.php

Most cloth pads have "wings" that wrap around your underwear just like regular Maxi-pads, and snap instead of adhesive. Or some of them are wingless, and just stay in your underwear from the friction of fleece backing against your underwear. I personally prefer wings for the security (no worries of them falling off, and they protect my underwear).

I prefer fleece topped pads because they keep you feeling dry. If you want all-natural, you can get organic velour topped, which still keep you dryer than plain cotton (just not quite as dry as fleece). Flannel starts out soft, but gets very rough and scratchy over time. And I prefer fleece or wool backed, rather than PUL, which is slippery against your underwear, and makes me sweat (it's not breathable; but it is totally waterproof).

Here's a great website, where I have bought many of my pads (and cloth diapers for my babies through the same lady):
http://www.diaperware.com/mooncare/mooncare.htm

I like:
Fresh Moon Pads (prefer the AIO/All-in-One style) though many people like the ones where you can snap in a fresh soaker to the body.

Fussybutt Moonbow pads

I've never tried the Swaddlebees or the SMJAE pads, but they sure look nice!

Many people love the newly restyled LunaPads or Glad Rags. I tried them years back and didn't like them, but I hear they have changed for the better.

Both Happy Heiny's and FuzziBunz pads have PUL backing which I don't like, and they are not very absorbent in my opinion.

Rhythm & Blues were so bulky and clumsy!

My body personally cannot stand anything in it such as the Diva Cup or Sea Sponges, but many mamas are huge fans of the Diva Cup. It gives me cramps.

Wash/Care
If you cloth diaper, this will all be so much easier to understand and figure out :)

I have a diaper sprayer on my toilet like this for our cloth diapers, but I use
it to rinse off my pads into the toilet: http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?item=3871&catid=497&ret=catalog.php%3Fcateg\
ory%3D497 (http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?item=3871&catid=497&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D497)

You could also rinse them off into the bathtub drain.

Then I put them into a wet-bag such as like this, that I hang on a hook in the shower (if i had my own bathroom away from small children, I would just set it on the floor next to the toilet, or hang it on the back of the door knob). But this way it's out of sight and little hands ;) http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=498 (http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=498)

Every three days I wash them the way I do cloth diaper laundry, OR Long hot wash with 1/2 the amount of detergent, and an extra rinse if they still smell at all.

I'm sure there are still many questions! Ask away if you'd like!

Katigre
11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
These are where my pads are from - I really like them and they're holding up well after over a year of use. Her customer service is great too: http://homesteademporium.com

Edensmum
11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Ok, I've got to get that bag. Your method sounds much more organized and neat than mine!

fun fabrics too.
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=2138

Edensmum
11-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I have noticed shorter periods too. I have never rinsed and one cycle always leaves the clean.

pastrygirl
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
LOVE Homestead Emporium. Well worth it!! A while ago, I ordered one or two pads from different places, and Homestead Emporium was the clear winner.

http://hyenacart.com/HomesteadEmporium/index.php?info=571

I love the sizes she offers. I prefer the wing-style rather than the contour, because the tabs on the contour are made of stretchy fleece and it feels like I need to be more careful when I unsnap. I like the heavy wrap wing pad and ultimini during the day, and definitely the ultimate or ulti-max for nighttime (though I use a cup also). My bottom half is plus-size, so I have no use for the regular or ultimini XS sizes.

hellbennt
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
I am wearing mine now, LOL!

I :heartbeat:love pinklemonade!
http://hyenacart.com/pinklemonade/index.php?c=55

I have all kinds of sizes, but am finding that for the heavy days, the regular pad works great and I use a heavy pad for night time and then pantyliners for when it's tapering off...

I rinse in the sink, then put in a tub (the empty plastic quart container that our wonton soup comes in, ha!) to soak until I wash them.

I have totally washed them in w/ other clothes, mostly jeans or dark towels, like that.

I love the bamboo velour!

salsah
11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
The next time, and every month after that, my periods were so much lighter, only lasted 3-4 days, and my cramps were either non-existent, or so mild that I didn't feel the need to take anything at all.

that sounds wonderful! but i just don't get it. how can something outside your body make such a huge difference?

KHF
11-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I :heartbeat:love pinklemonade!
http://hyenacart.com/pinklemonade/index.php?c=55

I love the bamboo velour!

I think you have convinced me to try her pantyliners out...still not ready to make the leap for all the time, but I would love to have a reusable option for every day. Thanks for the link...if pads can be beautiful, hers certainly are :)

hellbennt
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
they're beaUtiful and functional!
I'm such a wackadoo, that when I wear them I make strange comments (such as how I love wearing them, they're so pretty, they're so soft, etc) :love2: & dh just rolls his eyes:ROTFLMAO::love-retry:

KHF
11-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Hopefully I'll love them as much as you do :) I emailed her about other options as she only has 1 regular pantyliner on Etsy right now. I specifically asked about bamboo velour...

salsah
11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
that sounds wonderful! but i just don't get it. how can something outside your body make such a huge difference?

just bumping! i hate the idea of cloth. but for shorter, lighter, painless periods, i'm willing to consider it. i just don't understand how it could make a difference and would love if someone could explain it (and the diva cup -- how do you not spill blood all over yourself!?) to me.

Katigre
11-27-2010, 03:44 PM
(and the diva cup -- how do you not spill blood all over yourself!?) to me.
When you pull it out, you pull out and down (just like a tampon) so that the cup isn't tipped until you pour it into the toilet. I don't get any blood on me at all when I remove it (unless i'm being particularly sloppy or something) because it's all contained in the cup that is removed full and then dumped into the toilet (i remove while I'm sitting/squatting over the toilet so it's an easy 'remove-dump'. Usually what I do after that is wash it in the sink and then put it on its bag to wait while I finish my toileting business. I insert standing/squatting in the bathroom but not over the toilet - and the origami fold is my favorite for having a great fit. I have found once I put it in I need to do a few kegels to get it into the exactly right placement (and for removal I use kegels to push it down a bit so that the stem sticks out and I can grasp the bottom to pull it out fully).

salsah
11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
When you pull it out, you pull out and down (just like a tampon) so that the cup isn't tipped until you pour it into the toilet. I don't get any blood on me at all when I remove it (unless i'm being particularly sloppy or something) because it's all contained in the cup that is removed full and then dumped into the toilet (i remove while I'm sitting/squatting over the toilet so it's an easy 'remove-dump'. Usually what I do after that is wash it in the sink and then put it on its bag to wait while I finish my toileting business. I insert standing/squatting in the bathroom but not over the toilet - and the origami fold is my favorite for having a great fit. I have found once I put it in I need to do a few kegels to get it into the exactly right placement (and for removal I use kegels to push it down a bit so that the stem sticks out and I can grasp the bottom to pull it out fully).

that sounds awful! knowing me, it would slip out of my fingers and fall into the toilet. and i don't have a sink in my bathroom to rinse it. what do you do if you are in a public bathroom? what do you do if you are in a public bathroom and drop it in the toilet? or drop it on the floor and have blood splash all over your clothes?
how do you know when it needs to be emptied?

Melaine
11-27-2010, 04:01 PM
that sounds awful! knowing me, it would slip out of my fingers and fall into the toilet. and i don't have a sink in my bathroom to rinse it. what do you do if you are in a public bathroom? what do you do if you are in a public bathroom and drop it in the toilet? or drop it on the floor and have blood splash all over your clothes?
how do you know when it needs to be emptied?

I really thought it sounded awful at first too. But now the thought of going back to tampons really icks me out.

And to be completely honest, I did drop it in the toilet once. But that was really me being careless. If you don't have a sink in your bathroom at all then that might be a pain. I mean, I don't have one in the master bath (it's separate), so I use the other bathroom during AF.
I've mostly avoided public bathrooms for changing the diva. Keep in mind that most people can go longer using the diva than a regular tampon. Also, for me it is so much better because you don't have to "time" your tampons. What I mean is, if I am going somewhere and I've been wearing my tampon for an hour, I will remove it early (waste of money, waste of tampon, and OUCH) so that I will have a fresh one before leaving the house. With the diva I will just empty and reinsert, regardless of how long I've been wearing it. In a pinch, I have emptied it in a public restroom and wiped it off and reinserted without washing.
I can't say enough good things about it. From a financial and environmental standpoint, and from a comfort and convenience standpoint, it is so much better for me.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I actually tend to change the Diva most often in the shower.