PDA

View Full Version : Help! Use or toss--breast milk

Roni
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's the scenerio. I pumped and froze some bags of breast milk a couple weeks ago. On Saturday, I put them in a cooler, brought them to my parents' house, and put them in the refrigerator. Yesterday morning they were partially defrosted. I put them in the cooler again, and brought them to a sporting event. (I was coaching and judging, so there were stretches of time when I wasn't available to nurse dd.) I ended up with 3 leftover bags of milk. They were in the cooler all day and went straight to the fridge last night, defrosted but still cold. Can I still use them?

TIA

div_0305
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
that's the time limit I used for defrosted BM

Snow mom
11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Smell them (or taste them if you are willing.) Bad BM smells the part. A little soapy smell is normal for defrosted BM. If it smells like spoiled milk toss it, otherwise it should be fine.

babyready
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Here's the scenerio. I pumped and froze some bags of breast milk a couple weeks ago. On Saturday, I put them in a cooler, brought them to my parents' house, and put them in the refrigerator. Yesterday morning they were partially defrosted. I put them in the cooler again, and brought them to a sporting event. (I was coaching and judging, so there were stretches of time when I wasn't available to nurse dd.) I ended up with 3 leftover bags of milk. They were in the cooler all day and went straight to the fridge last night, defrosted but still cold. Can I still use them?

TIA

If it is bad, it will definitely smell bad. Otherwise, I would use it.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
It is pushing it, but I agree to test/check it before tossing. If it is bad, you'll know it.