PDA

View Full Version : Are Bob books the best, or some other series?

boolady
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Recently-turned four y/o DD has really started taking an interest in figuring out phonics and the sounds of words she sees and hears. She knows all of her letters, upper and lower case, so she can identify letters. Are Bob books the best to address her very early interest in this sort of thing, or is there another series folks like better?

She loves, loves, loves looking at books and being read to. I have never wanted to push her, because she will take an interest when she's ready. I was just thinking that since she's starting to show a real interest, some books of this nature for Christmas would be a good idea. TIA for your help.

artvandalay
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Recently-turned four y/o DD has really started taking an interest in figuring out phonics and the sounds of words she sees and hears. She knows all of her letters, upper and lower case, so she can identify letters. Are Bob books the best to address her very early interest in this sort of thing, or is there another series folks like better?

She loves, loves, loves looking at books and being read to. I have never wanted to push her, because she will take an interest when she's ready. I was just thinking that since she's starting to show a real interest, some books of this nature for Christmas would be a good idea. TIA for your help.

I highly recommend Bob books.

wolverine2
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it must depend on your kid. My DS hated the Bob books. They just weren't interesting to him (or me, for that matter). He was more into Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman (like Go, Dog, Go).

brittone2
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
My kids liked Bob books...not so much for the content (or lack thereof) but I think they were good for feeling successful at reading, kwim?

We have some Dick and Jane early readers and they were never really into those.

Our library has the Bob books, so you might want to give them a no cost whirl first to see if they are of interest before spending the $$. My kids liked them but I can totally see why some kids would hate them.

I guess we never viewed them as super exciting in terms of content, but my kids just liked the simple vowel consonant vowel thing when they were first learning. We obviously were still reading tons of other books with more interesting content.

chozen
11-22-2010, 06:51 PM
check over in the lounge, someone just posted about this and there was a link to some good books on amazon.

artvandalay
11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=brittone2;2932147]My kids liked Bob books...not so much for the content (or lack thereof) but I think they were good for feeling successful at reading, kwim?
QUOTE]

I think that's why my son liked them so much. He knew they were short books, and so I think he was not intimidated by them.

Ceepa
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Definitely check out BOB books from the library first. DC was so bored they weren't even opened after the first one.

mnosky1
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
DD and I were not fans of the Bob "books" I was surprised how many of these types of books our library has so definitley check them out and see what may be of interest first.

DD did have a Clifford phonic set that she insisted I buy at her daycare book fair (she LOVED Clifford books of all types) - it came in a little box and had a tape with it with the stories and d these were along the line of phonics/early reader type books. The
se were very easy to read and the first things she read herself - maybe age 4/5- instilled confidence mainly. Here - I found a link (although seems it may be out of print?): http://www.amazon.com/Cliffords-Phonics-Fun-Box-Set/dp/0439405173/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290566730&sr=1-6

anamika
11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
My kids liked Bob books...not so much for the content (or lack thereof) but I think they were good for feeling successful at reading, kwim?

:yeahthat: DD was the same. It was like a bridge to reading bigger and better things.
They have a very short life span - DD read them once and never looked at them again - but they served an important purpose.