PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting your newborn for the holidays?

lowrioh
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
My mom just called me and asked me what she should get our soon to be arriving DD2 for Christmas. I'm at a loss since we truly need nothing. We have way too much clothing and gear and the only things we do need (humidifier, noise machine, CD player) are "boring" and not really Christmas present type things.

So, if you have (or are going to have) a newborn at Christmas....what are you getting them?

JoyNChrist
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
My twins will be 4 months old for Christmas.

Santa is going to bring them a play gym and an exersaucer (both bought used).

DH and I are just filling up their stockings - amber teething necklaces, Sophie, some of the Haba rattles/teethers, Babylegs. I'm going to take DS1 to pick them each out a small gift sometime soon.

I'm sure family will get them clothes. I've also requested books.

lhafer
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
My mom just called me and asked me what she should get our soon to be arriving DD2 for Christmas. I'm at a loss since we truly need nothing. We have way too much clothing and gear and the only things we do need (humidifier, noise machine, CD player) are "boring" and not really Christmas present type things.

So, if you have (or are going to have) a newborn at Christmas....what are you getting them?

Ask her to contribute towards the baby's savings account/college fund/529, etc. It may not be "Christmasy" but the point of Christmas is giving, right? And that's a wonderful way to help start your LO's future!! Then next year have fun with the "fun" presents!

lovebebes
11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
ask for something cashmere! Its been getting so cold here and the few times I was out with our newborn I just loved having a cashmere jacket and hat for her! So toasty and lightweight, perfect for new baby :)

brittone2
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
DD was born a few weeks before Christmas. For her first Christmas she got:

a few clothing items
hair accessories
baby legs
KK sippy cup to use down the road
CA Baby baby wash
a few Haba rattles
a new bib or two

I mostly picked up a few things I was going to be buying anyway so DS1 wouldn't notice that she didn't get anything :) Several of the items were specific to having a DD after having a DS.

AnnieW625
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I will have an almost 8 mos. old at Christmas so not exactly newborn, but I told people she doesn't need anything and I suggested Bjorn bibs, and tactile balls she can put in her mouth. I know my sister won't go for those as she's the baby in our family so she doesn't believe in hand me downs!

I don't know if I would do cashmere for a baby, but then I live in a warm climate and my newborn has had reflux since she was 6 weeks old so it just doesn't seem practical to me. I'd go with something a little easier to wash.

Seitvonzu
11-22-2010, 06:48 PM
this is going to sound crazy-- but i had a baby on the 23rd of december and she was supposed to be born in january...so i didn't plan to give her ANYTHING that first christmas. my brother's family & my parents sent gifts (i think to be cute, more for ME), so she had those. i probably would have just bought things that would be used anyhow (socks, rattles, cups, etc) ...but i didn't plan for that.

so i'm in the hospital on christmas eve and i say to my husband "you need to go pick up one of the pier one rocking horses, a first christmas outfit, and a first christmas ornament." i got crazy. so he did :) so we say lucy got a "pony" her first christmas! she was our best present!

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
We bought ds2 (born early Dec.) a few small toys, just enough that ds1 wouldn't think it was weird that Santa shafted him. The g'parents bought a ton of clothes and toys. It all got used but none of it was really needed.

Beth

new_mommy25
11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
My DS was 4 months at his first Christmas. I filled his stockings with board books, a Skwish, a Winkel, teethers, and other smallish toys. We also bought him an Exersaucer as his big gift. I don't think asking for a cd player or ipod dock is boring at all. And I agree about asking for donations to savings account. DH's grandparents and my BIL give the kids $50 savings bonds every year and I really appreciate those. Every little bit helps because who know what the price of college will be in 18 years.

pb&j
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
DD was a month old at her first Christmas. I got her a piece of jewelry to put away for later. We have a picture of me holding her and the jewelry box, and I can't wait to show it to her when we pull it back out when she's older.

Other than that, gave her a few little token toys so that DS could bring her presents.

lowrioh
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. My parents usually give money to their grand kids and then also give a few presents. My mom is super sentimental so I'm positive a baby's first Christmas ornament will be involved.

I ordered one of the Pottery Barn stockings for the new baby and will probably get a Sophie the Giraffe and maybe some sort of lovey. The teething necklaces sound like a good idea too. I'm actually thinking about going on Etsy and ordering something like a personalized piggy bank so she will have a keepsake from her first Christmas.

wendibird22
11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
We gave DD2 (born on the 16th) a Sophie and some ring a links (we had lost a bunch from DD1). Family mostly gave $ and clothes.