PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - how to prevent DS from hitting his head when learning to pull up

PGTB
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I am a clueless first time mom, so, this may sound like dumb questions to you, LOL :ROTFLMAO: :o DS is almost 7 months old and is starting to get really active on his tummy, I think he is trying to pull up and turning around (learning to crawl). He cannot yet turn from tummy to his back for some reason.. strange. But he is getting more and more mobile and vertical.

I am trying to create a play area for him in our living room with the help of the gates like superyard XT or similar and EVA foam mats. While the cushions on the floor will help soften his falls when he is learning to pull up, I am concerned about him banging his head on the gate especially metal one (we are tempted to get the metal one because they are sturdier). Even plastic gates aren't so soft on baby's head, so what do you do? We can wait to put the gate until he learns to walk, but what about the objects he needs to hold on to in order to pull up? Can he pull up using stabilized exersaucer?

I have a similar question with regards to a crib. We currently have a metal mini-crib for him and he is very mobile in there. I am worried he will hit his head hard on the metal rails. We have breathable bumper, but it doesn't reach all the way especially when he wants to start pulling up.

I thought we try the regular size crib, which won't happen until we move out of our 1 bedroom apt :gloomy: but even then, what do you do to prevent your LO from bumping his/her head on the wooden rails of the crib?

kristac
11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
You can't. They will bump thier heads. ALOT. And then they will walk and fall down. ALOT. It's just part of growing up. Hang on Mama and enjoy the ride ((((hugs))))

♥ms.pacman♥
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
You can't. They will bump thier heads. ALOT. And then they will walk and fall down. ALOT. It's just part of growing up. Hang on Mama and enjoy the ride ((((hugs))))

:yeahthat:

i asked this SAME exact question 3 months ago when my son was the same age (you can even search for the thread on here!). i had same concerns as you..DS was learning to pull up and was getting pretty mobile and was relatively fearless (not cautious at all). he started ramming his head against crib rails/slats and running into edges of bookcases. i initially put foam on the edges of our Expedit to prevent him from hitting his head on them. but he figured out to take them off in no time. now at 10mos he has much better balance and knows not to run into things and he bumps his head a lot less. and even when he does, it's not a big deal now. he cries for like a minute, i comfort him, and it's over and he's back to playing. :)

brittone2
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
:yeahthat:

My newly 8 month old spent the last few weeks with a few small bruises on his head ;) Thankfully we got the holiday pics done for our card before he had a streak of a few in a row!

BabyBearsMom
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM

:yeahthat: DD is 7 months old and bangs her head all the time. She is pulling up on everything now and hits her head on the crib, the gates, the tables, the chairs, and most often the floor. I just pick her up, kiss her better and she is on her way to a new adventure in minutes. Hang in there.