PDA

View Full Version : pumpkin pie questions

Sweetum
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I finally found a recipe for an eggless pumpkin pie:
http://www.divinetaste.com/archives/eggless-pumpkin-pie/
I hope it will work!

Some questions:
- this recipe does not ask to bake the crust first. is that ok? or do I need to prebake the crust and then bake the whole thing together again?
- I'll be baking the pie in a removable bottom tart pan - how can I eventually remove the bottom after the rim is removed?

Thanks.

BabyBearsMom
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
When I make pumpkin pie, I do not cook the crust first, so if the recipe doesn't say to, I wouldn't. Can you do a trial run before Thanksgiving?

Sweetum
11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Nope, I can't do a trial run, so I'll just have to believe the recipe and you :)
But thanks for your response.

Sweetum
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
It worked!!! The recipe was awesome - so awesome, my mom liked it too! (and that's a big one). And it was sooooo easy, I made 2! one the day of, and the other on saturday. For the 2nd one, I used canned pumpkin and I could sense the difference in taste - fresh is sooooo much better. And btw, I didn't cook the crust separately.
ETA: and the pie just slid off the tart bottom plate onto the serving plate. I used non-stcik.

kijip
11-30-2010, 02:20 AM
FYI- prebaking pie shells is for pudding type pies that only get firmed up in the oven or to have the meringue brown up, like lemon or chocolate. With those pies, they are in the oven 10 or so minutes, not enough to bake the crust. With fruit and squash pies, you generally bake for the better part of an hour and thus no need to pre bake the crust. HTH.

BabyBearsMom
11-30-2010, 12:06 PM
It worked!!! The recipe was awesome - so awesome, my mom liked it too! (and that's a big one). And it was sooooo easy, I made 2! one the day of, and the other on saturday. For the 2nd one, I used canned pumpkin and I could sense the difference in taste - fresh is sooooo much better. And btw, I didn't cook the crust separately.
ETA: and the pie just slid off the tart bottom plate onto the serving plate. I used non-stcik.

Yay! :cheerleader1: