PDA

View Full Version : Walmart is price matching on Black Friday

Babymakes3
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Walmart just released that they will match the price on Target and other competitors ads including doorbusters! Apparently you'll be able to easily price match right at the checkouts.

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10486.aspx

Wasn't sure if this should be posted in here or another forum but it's deal related so I decided to put it here.

calv
11-22-2010, 09:08 PM
great to know. THANKS!!! wonder if they'll have any laptops.

is it impossible to get a laptop from Best Buy on BF? we've never really done electronics on BF

Babymakes3
11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
great to know. THANKS!!! wonder if they'll have any laptops.

is it impossible to get a laptop from Best Buy on BF? we've never really done electronics on BF

I don't know, I wonder how you know who they consider as a competitor. It listed Sears and Target but I don't think I saw anyone else.

I'm eying a desktop that Best Buy has but I am not spending the night there to get it, i'm hoping it will be online.

ohsara430
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Getting a laptop anywhere can be near impossible. I have and do often go for electronics, but the super cheap laptops go really quick and they (whichever store) usually only has a handful. The good thing about best buy is that they give out the tickets while you are in line so you know before the store even opens if you'll be able to get one. A few years ago I did get a laptop from CompUSA on Thanksgiving night - it was insane and pure luck on my part to have gotten one since they were really unorganized.

Be careful if thinking of price matching a laptop, usually each retailer carries their own version of the cheap laptop, so something will be different at the one at WM v. BB although probably only a slight difference. Any difference at all though and you won't be able to price match.

Melaine
11-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow! That is really cool....does anyone else feel like they need a Black Friday Kit, including various lists, maps, and charts, to plan our their shopping spree?

ciw
11-23-2010, 09:15 AM
The problem with price-matching at Walmart on Black Friday is that they pull the items they don't want to price match. Last year, I went to Walmart first, picked up their BF deals that I wanted and then went in search of a steam mop I had seen at Walmart two days earlier which was on sale super cheap at Target. I was hoping Walmart would price match it. When I couldn't find the mop anywhere, Ifigured that others had the same idea I had to price match and that Walmart had sold out of the mops. So I asked a sales associate, hoping that maybe there were a few left somewhere that I couldn't find. After 20 minutes, the associate finally came back to tell me she had plenty in the back of the store but wasn't allowed to bring them back out to the floor. The store had pulled the mops because they didn't want to price match Target's price.:irked:

So if you're going to Walmart anyway on BF, it doesn't hurt to try to price match but if there's something you really want, I would go to the store selling it rather than risking a price match at Walmart.

Melaine
11-23-2010, 09:33 AM
The problem with price-matching at Walmart on Black Friday is that they pull the items they don't want to price match. Last year, I went to Walmart first, picked up their BF deals that I wanted and then went in search of a steam mop I had seen at Walmart two days earlier which was on sale super cheap at Target. I was hoping Walmart would price match it. When I couldn't find the mop anywhere, Ifigured that others had the same idea I had to price match and that Walmart had sold out of the mops. So I asked a sales associate, hoping that maybe there were a few left somewhere that I couldn't find. After 20 minutes, the associate finally came back to tell me she had plenty in the back of the store but wasn't allowed to bring them back out to the floor. The store had pulled the mops because they didn't want to price match Target's price.:irked:

So if you're going to Walmart anyway on BF, it doesn't hurt to try to price match but if there's something you really want, I would go to the store selling it rather than risking a price match at Walmart.

Ugh. That is SO lame! I wonder if it depends on local stores or if that is common across the company. So tricky!

dec756
11-23-2010, 09:34 AM
maybe people had already price matched? i doubt they are hidiing things because they want our $$$ ya know?

Melaine
11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
So, can I go at like 10 on Thanksgiving evening and get all the stuff I want and then check out right at 12? Would that work?

littlebird
11-23-2010, 10:36 AM

DH lucked out and got one at Best Buy one year. Apparently, the ad that year listed 2 screen sizes available. They'd sold out of the smaller size, but no one was buying the larger size. As PP stated, the store did not have very many available of either size when they opened, so they can go fast.

BeachBum
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
So, can I go at like 10 on Thanksgiving evening and get all the stuff I want and then check out right at 12? Would that work?

I think it depends on what you are getting. In my experience the items in the ads are in plastic wrap on pallets all around the store (so toys aren't necessarily in the toy department). A few associates are by each pallet and at opening time they start unwrapping.

babyready
11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I do this every year. It works really well on toys and things where you know it is the exact item. The problem does come when it is something that the other store only carries for Black Friday. Like a certain TV or printer or whatever that is exclusive to their store. And that happens a lot. But I like to go ahead and see what I want and make sure they have the exact item before BF. Then, I circle the item in the ad (any ad that you get in the paper that day from any store will work as long as it is the exact same item and isn't a % off or coupon) and take it with me to the register. I usually have plenty of time to get organized while in line and then it goes very smoothly at the register.

Target usually price matches as well but they have not always done so on Black Friday. I think they are this year, though? Not positive.