PDA

View Full Version : Most upright stroller for 9 month old?

needupright
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
So I think I am going to have to sell my 2009 uppa baby vista. Now, what next? I need a stroller with wheels that are at least 6 inches so that it can bump up and down stairs. It also needs to be upright for my infant that keeps leaning forward to see. What do you think?

1. Maclaren Techno xt/xlr: I tried these and thought that the storage was not so great and they were really tippy.

2. Inglesina zippy: live in NYC and yet can't find a place to see this in person!

3. Peg Perego Pliko: heard the steering on this was not so good.

Any other ideas? So frustrated that I got the 2009, not the 2010 vista. Ugh.

Kaylee31
11-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe a Cybex Callisto? It has 6" wheels and I've heard they're pretty similar to the Techno in features. I have the Topaz and it's not tippy at all. The storage is decent, not great. The seat seems upright to me, compared to most strollers. Plus it's cheap. ;)
http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Cybex-Callisto-Lightweight-Stroller-in-Purple/5148030/product.html?rcmndsrc=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1wYItPmsc
http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/cybex-callisto-review.html
Maybe a Bee? You could always find a used one on CL.

emily
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Did you check Albee Baby on the UWS for the Zippy? That's where I test drove it before buying my Zippy. We've been very happy with our Zippy. Seat pretty upright (comparable to Mac, I think), not tippy at all, storage is a little small and has to be accessed from the side. The wheels handled the streets fine the few times we used in the city. (we live in the 'burbs)

needupright
11-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe a Cybex Callisto? It has 6" wheels and I've heard they're pretty similar to the Techno in features. I have the Topaz and it's not tippy at all. The storage is decent, not great. The seat seems upright to me, compared to most strollers. Plus it's cheap. ;)
http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Cybex-Callisto-Lightweight-Stroller-in-Purple/5148030/product.html?rcmndsrc=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1wYItPmsc
http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/cybex-callisto-review.html
Maybe a Bee? You could always find a used one on CL.

Yes, I did like the Bee Plus. I have not had a chance to look at the 2009 and previous Bees. I initialy wrote them off because when you google the word "upright" with bugaboo bee, you get a bunch of hits of people being annoyed with the lack of upright position. I though it would be the same problem as my 2009 vista. When I tried the Bee +, the upright position was great!

Did you check Albee Baby on the UWS for the Zippy? That's where I test drove it before buying my Zippy. We've been very happy with our Zippy. Seat pretty upright (comparable to Mac, I think), not tippy at all, storage is a little small and has to be accessed from the side. The wheels handled the streets fine the few times we used in the city. (we live in the 'burbs)

I test drove the Zippy and didn't like it. So much plastic, so much stroller.... and this is coming from someone from a vista! LOL Anyway, I'm leaning towards

- Maclaren Ryder
- Maclaren Techno
- Uppababy G-luxe
- Bee off CL, with the big IF being that the old version has an upright seat. My goodness, I think I'm seeing the end of the tunnel!

jacksmoma
11-24-2010, 09:30 PM
older bee is more reclined- must tell you though after baby can sit up more the seat angle is not very important...it's just a phase for a few months from about 7months-around a year. i have the older bee and LOVE that thing!

edurnemk
11-24-2010, 11:03 PM
must tell you though after baby can sit up more the seat angle is not very important...it's just a phase for a few months from about 7months-around a year. i have the older bee and LOVE that thing!

:yeahthat: DS solved that problem by pulling himself up using the bumper bar. We have a 2009 Vista and we still use it, the recline hasn't been a problem for a looong time. It's his favorite stroller.

Is the recline issue the only reason you're getting rid of the Vista? Or are you also looking for a smaller stroller? Since you're used to to a great push, I'd try to avoid umbrella style handles, those are harder to steer. The Bee is a great option (although it is MUCH lower than the Vista seat).

poohbear
11-24-2010, 11:39 PM
older bee is more reclined- must tell you though after baby can sit up more the seat angle is not very important...it's just a phase for a few months from about 7months-around a year. i have the older bee and LOVE that thing!

ITA with this - my DS is now 19 mos and doesn't really care so much if he sits upright or not - he pulls himself up on his own if he wants to - I wouldn't let it be my only criteria for selecting a stroller....

jacksmoma
11-24-2010, 11:58 PM
agreed! it will pass, don't change your stroller b/c of it. keep your vista unless you want something smaller, like if you put it in the car often (i personally prefer one great jogger for home and one great car stroller that is no more than 18lbs max..)

legaleagle
11-25-2010, 12:34 AM
ITA with everyone who says this is a phase and I would definitely keep the vista if this is the only issue.

If you want a change, have you looked at the valco latitude EX? There was a thread recently about it - I have the double and did a long comment. The wheels are 9" I believe in the back, the canopy is vista/bj huge and it has a very firm and upright seat back.

eno0609
11-25-2010, 01:37 AM
We have an '09 Techno that we love. I bump it up the stairs at our daycare just fine. It also has a pretty upright seat. I think that the Cybex model that others recommend are nice but I prefer the Techno because of the sun canopy that zips down and gives amazing coverage, also I'm not sure if the Cybex has suspension (the Techno does).:thumbsup:

coolae
11-25-2010, 08:56 AM
can you put a little blanket or pillow behind his back? we've did that with our 2009 vista. otherwise $180 doesn't actually sound that bad for a new seat and fabric!

arivecchi
11-25-2010, 10:16 AM
DS2 (22 months) loves our Maclaren Ryder (Albert Thurston) because it is very upright and cushy.

needupright
11-26-2010, 10:43 AM
I am so hoping that he learns to be ok with the 2009 vista! So helpful to heat this might be a phase! I feel silly spending an additional 180 for the new reclined seat... and I caught the fever and ordered a Mac Thurston edition. If the wheels are big enough to bump up stairs, I'll be in stroller heaven!

arivecchi
11-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, the "phase" could last a couple of years. DS2 much prefers upright strollers. DS1 was finally totally happy with the more reclined seat in our ATs when he turned 3. Al is a fab stroller - he really is!

poohbear
11-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I am so hoping that he learns to be ok with the 2009 vista! So helpful to heat this might be a phase! I feel silly spending an additional 180 for the new reclined seat... and I caught the fever and ordered a Mac Thurston edition. If the wheels are big enough to bump up stairs, I'll be in stroller heaven!

Sounds like you have a good combination with the two strollers. I think you and your LO will both like the Thurston, and if it turns out LO doesn't like the reclined position still after about 12-13 mos of age, you can sell the Vista and stick with the Mac until you need another full featured stroller!

Neelloc
11-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a Peg Perego P3 and it is my workhorse. I honestly have never had any problems steering it one handed. (Because I always need my other hand free to hold my coffee. or my older child's hand :lol: )

needupright
11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
So I got the Albert Thurston Maclaren model (which I was so excited about) and the wheels are too little to bump up stairs! This sucks. The stroller is great, sits really upright, the steering is as good as the vista. I'm back to square one and need to return the maclaren.

I also considered baby jogger city mini and micro (bigger wheels in the back to bump stairs), but the mini is too reclined. I have not seen the micro yet but I suspect it's the same.

Seriously, does this not exist aside from purchasing another vista? My impossible wish list:

- narrow-ish width of less than 25 inches - hopefully much less.
- good sun canopy
- VERY upright seat
- bigger tires than can bump up stairs
- budget of 300.

legaleagle
11-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I would definitely look at the valco latitude EX with that list. The wheels are bigger than the BJCM (9" rear, 8" front), great sun canopy, very upright and firm seat and MSRP is $299. There's also the valco ion but that's pricier.

eno0609
11-30-2010, 12:31 AM
That's too bad that it doesn't work on your stairs, our Techno XT works on the stairs at our daycare but it's in an old elementary school so they are probably not as deep as some stairs.

What about a Bugaboo Frog off CL? We had a Frog for DD and I remember it being very upright.

Multimama
11-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Would a Triumph not work? Then you could just sling it over your stroller on the stairs and you wouldn't have to worry about having big wheels. Big wheels add so much weight.

ETA: If you didn't need a super upright seat, I'd recommend the Micralite Fastfold. HUGE back wheels and still super light. :) Oooh, maybe you could do a Micralite Toro. I think that seat is pretty upright.

ETA2: Okay, the Toro is out of your budget, but I have seen some great sales on them on Returns for Sale and other places.

poohbear
11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Can you just throw the Ryder over your shoulder like Multimama suggested? At 14 lbs, Albert is not that heavy and it has a shoulder strap.
I guess I'm confused by the 'bump up stairs' question. How many stairs are you 'bumping up' and is your child in the stroller? It seems to me that you would need something with beefier tires (read: large air or foam) to go up and down a significant amount of stairs on a regular basis.

jerry_mishkata
11-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I have a Valco Quad that I got from albeebaby at 20% off for 400. Our of your budget but air filled tires (10 inch), very upright seat that reclines flat, 22.25 inches wide (compare the g-luxe at 18.5 inches is a little narrower), the canopy is very large, it extends and goes to the bumper bar.

But it is $400 with 20%off :-( I wish strollers were not so super expensive too...

needupright
11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I wish I could see Valco Quad somewhere. I'll have to call Albee baby and see if I can visit them. It is expensive....

This is what my house looks like. I guess I could sling it over my shoulder, but that means while I'm carrying the baby, I can't run any errands or do grocery shopping because all that stuff would need to be left on the street. This is why I loved my Vista so much, it just bumped/rolled up all the way up with a full basket.

http://www.citydictionary.com/Uploaded/Images/brownstone-20080418095805.jpg

poohbear
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I wish I could see Valco Quad somewhere. I'll have to call Albee baby and see if I can visit them. It is expensive....

This is what my house looks like. I guess I could sling it over my shoulder, but that means while I'm carrying the baby, I can't run any errands or do grocery shopping because all that stuff would need to be left on the street. This is why I loved my Vista so much, it just bumped/rolled up all the way up with a full basket.

http://www.citydictionary.com/Uploaded/Images/brownstone-20080418095805.jpg

Hmm... In that case, I would turn back the clock to yesterday, order a 2010 vista at 20% off from albeebaby and sell your 2009 Vista. :(
Do you live anywhere near MA? I can't remember if you're in MA or NY. There is the Uppa warehouse there and they often have good deals on floor models, etc (esp. if you don't need a bassinet).

edurnemk
11-30-2010, 11:18 AM
This is why I loved my Vista so much, it just bumped/rolled up all the way up with a full basket.

During the short period where DS was not happy with the Vista recline (maybe from 8 to 11 months), I'd put a pillow between him and the seat back, that seemed to solve the problem. After that he could pull himself forward using the bumper bar and he's never complained about it. If that's the only problem you have with the Vista, maybe a temporary solution like that is all you need.