PDA

View Full Version : Menopause?!

newbiemom
11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
That's what my dr thinks I might be going thru...I had a really really abnormally heavy period, and she mentioned 'menopause' a number of times and then also scheduled me for an ultrasound, mentioning 'cysts' 'tumors' and 'fibroids' and then she walked out of the room.
Not my usual dr, but I was desperate to see someone so I took her (she's in the same group). Now I kinda wish I waited. My actual dr is much more compassionate, and would have taken the time to explain things to me.

I'm feeling shell shocked and really freaked right now.

ETA - I'm only 36!

DrSally
11-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I wonder if it could be perimenopause? I would call and see if you can talk with your regular doctor and get more info.

tiapam
11-24-2010, 02:37 AM
What is the point of the doctor mentioning menopause when she doesn't even know what it is yet? Did you see my reply to your other thread? Did you look at a symptom and risk factors checklist? If your doctor did not mention testing your thyroid, then I would not go to her again. I hope your *real* doctor can help you.

There are some good thyroid threads in the archives here.

alexsmommy
11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
That's what my dr thinks I might be going thru...I had a really really abnormally heavy period, and she mentioned 'menopause' a number of times and then also scheduled me for an ultrasound, mentioning 'cysts' 'tumors' and 'fibroids' and then she walked out of the room.
Not my usual dr, but I was desperate to see someone so I took her (she's in the same group). Now I kinda wish I waited. My actual dr is much more compassionate, and would have taken the time to explain things to me.

I'm feeling shell shocked and really freaked right now.

ETA - I'm only 36!

I'd get a second opinion - I'm surprised she didn't start with bloodwork and an FSH test. Peri-menopause can go on for a decade plus, but there are so many other reasons you could be having such a heavy period. Sorry!

newbiemom
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, thanks for all the replies. I had a pelvic ultrasound today. I guess I'll hear from the dr next week what the results of that were, although the tech seemed to think everything looked normal.
I have already done bloodwork before, a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure they tested thyroid back then, and everything was normal.

Anyways, the tech seemed pretty reassuring that sometimes these things just happen, body reacts to different stuff, and it could be perfectly normal.

Has anyone else ever had such heavy periods before? I'm not the only one, am I?

DrSally
11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
My OB said periods just tend to get heavier with age. Is the interval btwn periods becoming notably shorter or longer?

newbiemom
11-24-2010, 11:20 PM
oh, they're usually anywhere between 28-33ish days.

tropicalmom
01-16-2011, 12:24 AM
How did things turn out for you? I was told as well this week that i might have perimenopause but need to do some testing: FSH, TSH, T3 and T4