PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about SmartWool socks

jgenie
11-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I keep seeing them mentioned here and I'm curious what you love about them? Which style do you like best? Why? Do you use them for everyday use or for athletics only? TIA

daisymommy
11-23-2010, 10:40 PM
I just came here to ask the same thing! I have never heard of them before here. Whats so great about them?

SkyrMommy
11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Love, love, love my Smartwool socks.
I have pairs that are long/tall for skiing that keep my feet warm for the day...
http://www.rei.com/zoom/ee/015187dd-da3d-4c06-85f6-272239d4d5b7.jpg/150
I have medium height pairs for hiking and some everyday wearing (lots of different colors)...
http://www.rei.com/zoom/ss/8d483e82-cf8b-459d-a854-2031beb12bf3.jpg/150
and a few short, lightweight pairs for hiking/running in the summer...
http://www.rei.com/zoom/yy/1f134033-ed01-4ac6-9b19-a45d250509ab.jpg/150

They're comfortable, don't seem to shift on my feet in shoes, keep my feet dry and warm and wear very, very tough and long. Most are/were purchased through REI, EMS or LLBean. I just bought DD pairs for winter wear under her boots.

shishamo
11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
They are the best.socks.ever. Really warm, never gets sweaty, never gets stinky, not itchy at all. I bought a pair a few years ago for myself. I have quite a few collection now, and I always reach for them when they are clean. They are my everyday wear with jeans and clogs socks.

My husband pretty much only wears them after I introduced him to them a while ago.
My daughter who has terrible cold feet loves them as well. She keeps stealing my socks.

In fact I am wearing the smartwool socks and a long john right now, and my daughter is wearing the same combo.

sierratradingpost always have a good deal (I'm just a happy customer).

jent
11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
They are the best.socks.ever. Really warm, never gets sweaty, never gets stinky, not itchy at all.

:yeahthat:

I'm wearing a pair right now!

niccig
11-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Mine have not worn well. I have a few pairs and they always get worn on the balls of the feet until I hole forms. Not happy for the cost of the sock,

marie
11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Mine have not worn well. I have a few pairs and they always get worn on the balls of the feet until I hole forms. Not happy for the cost of the sock,

I have one pair of Darn Tough socks that are very similar to SmartWools. So far, they are not wearing out like the SmartWools do. They are just as expensive, but if they don't wear out they'll be worth it (plus they are made in VT not far from where I live!).

pb&j
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I have several pairs of black dress socks that are still kicking around after almost 10 years. I have several hiker-type socks used for hiking and generally keeping my feet warm in the winter. I have a few cute striped pairs. And I have several pairs for running. They are the only socks I own. Love 'em. Warm in winter, cool in summer, comfortable, breathable, no itch, no stink, last forever.

I haven't yet had a pair wear out, though some of my oldest ones are getting thin on the heel where my shoe rubs.

wimama
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Love them. I have mostly hiking socks, that I use for hiking and sleeping at night. They are probably all 5-8 years old and still going strong. My feet get cold at night, the Smart Wool socks keep my feet warmer and dryer than other type of sock. And they really don't bunch or slip when I am hiking. This year I am hoping to get some thinner cute Smart Wool socks in my stocking this year to add to my collection.

kijip
11-24-2010, 01:11 AM
I love smartwools and 90 percent of the socks I wear are black noshow smartwools. That said however, I recently bought several pairs of ankle smartwools in cool colors from nordstrom rack and they are all holey and stuff after maybe 7 weeks! My old black ones have been in circulation for up to 4 year each though in a pretty large rotation and they have held up just fine. I am wondering if all quality is down or if the nordstrom rack ones were made cheap on purpose and I need to stick to the regular shoe stores I get them at?

tiapam
11-24-2010, 01:54 AM
I can't wear wool next to my skin. They felt itchy to me, in spite of what they say about them not being itchy.

dotgirl
11-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Agree with everyone. Best socks ever.

I actually buy the REI brand Merino wool ones - they're a bit less expensive but just as nice.

Melanie
11-24-2010, 03:05 AM
They're just that awesome. I only have a couple of pairs but I'm happy when they're clean.

I usually get mine from sierratradingpost.com so it's a bit of an eclectic bunch.

Wool makes me itchy, but not merino.

nupe
11-24-2010, 07:15 AM
I have had the same problem as niccig with a few pairs of smartwool. I think it's how I walk that does it. Fortunately I was able to exchange those for new ones at the full service placebo bought them, since it happened within a month of purchase.

I've had that problem with other sock brands too, like thorlos for running, years ago. I must have a different gait now because it's not so much of an issue.

egoldber
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
They are the best.socks.ever. Really warm, never gets sweaty, never gets stinky, not itchy at all. I bought a pair a few years ago for myself. I have quite a few collection now, and I always reach for them when they are clean. They are my everyday wear with jeans and clogs socks.

They are almost all I wear. Fun stripe pairs for Birks and clogs, micros for running and exercise, dress socks for work. Love them.

Also they are the only sock I have found that really runs small enough for my tiny feet.

hillview
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
They are the best.socks.ever. Really warm, never gets sweaty, never gets stinky, not itchy at all.

They do wear out but I wear them every single day 3 seasons of the year all day often in bare feet around the house. I burn through about 4 pair a year. I recently tried to find another option and decided to go with SW. I buy the same black crew style so I can match them easily and so if one wears out, it has a match. Other than athletic socks from Costco they are the only socks I own.
/hillary

gamma
11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Are the crew socks or dress socks long enough? I am tall and I hate having a gap that shows my leg when I sit down.

Moneypenny
11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
They are insanely itchy for me, so if you do have sensitivity to wool, these may not work for you.

ijopint
11-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I can't wear wool next to my skin. They felt itchy to me, in spite of what they say about them not being itchy.

i felt the same way, but when i try them they don't feel itchy . used them for hiking and walking/running. try them out!

Penny's Pappa
11-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't have any for everyday use, so I can't comment on that, but heavyweight SmartWool socks were one of the best camping-related purchases I have ever made. Very warm. Very comfy. They wick well so your feel don't stay moist which is very important.

MaiseyDog
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I've never heard of these, but after checking them out I think I will get DH a pair of the hunting socks for his stocking. Can anyone tell me how they run? He is literally between two sizes and I'm not sure if I should size up or down. TIA.

Penny's Pappa
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I've never heard of these, but after checking them out I think I will get DH a pair of the hunting socks for his stocking. Can anyone tell me how they run? He is literally between two sizes and I'm not sure if I should size up or down. TIA.

I think they run fairly true to size. I wear a size 8.5 and would buy a medium, which supposedly fits sizes 8-10. Err on being a little too big as socks that are too small can constrict blood flow and actually make your feet colder.

PAfirsttimemom
11-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Another fan here! I have a dress, lightweight crew style in black and brown for everyday wear and a few thicker hiking-type pairs to wear with winter boots. The best plus to me is that my feet stay dry and don't sweat like they do in cotton socks. Love them!

jgenie
11-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Just in case anyone else was thinking of trying these out - backcountry.com has a few pairs of SmartWool socks on sale right now - they are offering free shipping no minimum for a limited time and Ebates is currently at 12%. HTHS

wellyes
11-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I was happy in my Walmart-and-Target sock buying ignorance until now. Darn BBB.

jgenie
11-27-2010, 02:59 AM
I was happy in my Walmart-and-Target sock buying ignorance until now. Darn BBB.

These socks (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=26519&vid=0&pid=638023) from Old Navy are really comfortable - I picked up a few pairs last time I had a 30% off code. Santa needs a little help filling my stocking so I picked up a pair of SmartWool socks to help him out. :D

toby
11-27-2010, 10:08 PM
The people who started Smartwool sold it 5 or so years ago and I think that the quality has changed. They started a new company and I have been happy with their socks...
http://www.point6.com

sunchip
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Love smartwool! I usually buy them at sierratradingpost or at REI when they have a sale. I recently saw them at Costco! If my sock drawer isn't full of them already, I'd buy a few more. I'm very sensitive to wool too, but they don't itch at all. I especially love them on long hikes. No blisters!

nupe
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I just realized that i do prefer my smartwools to other socks for working out. Actually hadn't realized that the regular rotation is 100% smartwool and the backups are nonsmartwool!

infomama
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Just got my first three pairs of Smartwool socks and I am in love!! Great socks.

DrSally
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I didn't get smartwool, but this thread inspired me to get some of the costco ones--2 pack for $12 and pretty thin, so I can wear with my clogs. Boy, between the wool socks and the sherpa lined clogs, I get pretty warm when I'm indoors and walking/moving around a lot.

salsah
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
I didn't get smartwool, but this thread inspired me to get some of the costco ones--2 pack for $12 and pretty thin, so I can wear with my clogs. Boy, between the wool socks and the sherpa lined clogs, I get pretty warm when I'm indoors and walking/moving around a lot.

i haven't seen these. i was just at costco looking for socks and the only ones i saw were the KB no show. at your costco, were they with the rest of the women's socks?

DrSally
01-07-2011, 01:25 AM
i haven't seen these. i was just at costco looking for socks and the only ones i saw were the KB no show. at your costco, were they with the rest of the women's socks?

Yep, they were right with the other socks. They're not super thick and don't actually look like wool socks. They have different colors/patterns--browns and blues, and are shorter than crew length.