PDA

View Full Version : Any iPad deals? Do you like yours?

charmcitymom
11-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi there,

So I think I want to get an iPad for myself (gasp!) for Christmas. It seems that the Apple store will have some sort of discount on Friday but it hasn't been revealed yet. Has anyone seen any discounts around? I want lots of memory and wifi so it will be pricey I fear.

I also wouldn't mind some advice on it. I don't have an iPhone or an iTouch but had an old iPod and loved it for so long. Ever since DS came along I've let my iTunes, etc go and now the iPad has come along and it seems great. I can read books, watch movies, listen to music, etc. Feel free to tell me if I should just get a kindle and an iTouch instead.

Thanks!

Naranjadia
11-24-2010, 01:33 AM
The Apple discounts have been historically not that big on Black Friday - but they are touting this as a "special" year, so who knows?

I have the lowest model - just wifi, smallest amount of memory - but I didn't plan to store much on it. I prefer my photos on my regular computer and so I mainly have apps, some music and some documents

I have not regretted not getting 3G yet, but I know people who use it for GPS, etc, who make good use of theirs. I haven't been stuck yet with no wifi - but it will happen.

My favorite use for it is in the kitchen. I have a portfolio style cover that I just prop up in portrait view and open up the epicurious app or whatever website I am cooking from and voila! I am considering putting brackets on a cabinet to hold it up and out of the way. Cuts down on printing a lot.

caheinz
11-24-2010, 03:03 AM
The 32GB has a LOT of room. I have over 1000 songs and maxed out apps (before the update you couldn't use folders, and could only show 11 pages of apps), and I still have over 10GB free. (And I use Pages and several other document readers and have thousands of PDFs on there.)

An iPad really won't replace an iPod (portability isn't at the same level), but that doesn't sound like it'd be a problem.

Some TJMax's and another similar were selling some (16GB wifi) for $399, but I think they're all sold out. Apple keeps tight pricing guidelines for authorized retailers, so the best you're likely to find will be gift cards and such being packaged with them....

MeyersDVM
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
LOVE the thing! The only complaint I have is that I can't watch anything Flash based, but there are workarounds (streaming from or using remote desktop apps). I have the 16 gig wifi model and am glad I saved the money and got the basic model. I have a separate iPod that lives in my truck, so I don't have any music on mine, but I do have a few videos with lots of memory left.
My kids love it, too. They can navigate between apps and play educational type games. Lots easier for them as a touch screen than using my mouse with a laptop.
Deals for this are few and far between, but watch the refurb store at Apple. They had them for $50 off original retain a few weeks ago. Also, since Target is carrying them, you can get a Target card and save 10% on first purchase.

FTMLuc
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
if you have a teacher in your family, I believe you can get 10% off teacher's discount at the Apple store, not sure if it will work on an iPad or just their macbooks. I am hoping my sister will be able to use her discount to buy one for me next week. I desperately want one before the baby comes.

wellyes
11-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I got a refurb from the apple store which saved a little - comes with full 1 year warranty.

I love mine. I am using it from bed right now as I nurse the baby. I know a laptop could do that ... But the instant connection and ease of use is much much better than any laptop or net book I have ever tried.

I have the 16 wifi. It is a home tablet for me so wifi is fine. 16 gig is adequate for a few dozen apps, a few hundred songs and 12+ hours of video imported from my tivo. (But I think 'regular' video like movies from iTunes is a bit bigger - never tried so not sure).

tigs4999
11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
A quick note - make sure you have a computer with the latest version of iTunes before purchase otherwise you can't even get an iPad to start. We learned this the hard way. Luckily, we found that although my computer was not capable of downloading the latest version, my husband's was - but it was quite frustrating to have a new toy that will not boot up.

Now I love it, there are definitely things I miss (like flash) but love the size and convenience. Plus, it is great for entertaining the kids with all the kid friendly apps. Just make sure you get a screen protector. Walmart has them for $15 which is half of what they are elsewhere (except 5 below who actually had them but I wasn't sure about quality so paid the extra).

charmcitymom
11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I had noted the lack of Flash elsewhere but I have to say I don't necessarily appreciate the implications. When do you miss Flash? Has anyone used their iPad for reading books? I'm really looking forward to that.

I looked for refurbished in the online Apple store and it looks like there is only a $50 discount. That doesn't seem like a lot :( I really, really hope there's a good sale on Friday.

The iTunes point is a bit confusing. iPad doesn't come with it already? I can't store my music on there directly? I still have to sync to a computer. Huh - I hadn't realized that. It just seemed intuitive to me that you could do it all directly from the iPad.

Thanks again!

wolverine2
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
if you have a teacher in your family, I believe you can get 10% off teacher's discount at the Apple store, not sure if it will work on an iPad or just their macbooks. I am hoping my sister will be able to use her discount to buy one for me next week. I desperately want one before the baby comes.

nope... no educational discount on iPad's. :(

danagee
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
For me, the best use for the iPad has been using it as a cookbook on the counter while I cook. I love how I can expand the text and scroll easily back and forth as I need.
It has also saved us several times as a GPS- it's amazing and so much faster than our portable gps unit.
And, of course, it's an amazing babysitter/distraction for the kids!!

wellyes
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I had noted the lack of Flash elsewhere but I have to say I don't necessarily appreciate the implications. When do you miss Flash? Has anyone used their iPad for reading books? I'm really looking forward to that.I've used the Kindle app, yes it is an eReader replacement. Between using it as a reader and for recipes and kid games and NetFlix and using it online, etc --- I carry the darn thing with me around the house.

No flash = no Hulu. That's the biggest bummer. If you have Hulu+ ($8/month) there is an app that plays it, but I haven't bothered because I do the Tivo workaround. But Hulu would be nicer for HD.

$50 off is pretty good for an Apple product. Apple is really tight with price controls. TJMaxx had some low-end models for $399, like 10 in each store, but thanks to Slickdeals it was a stampede that sold out immediately. I do not anticipate any discounts due to Apple policy. Best I can see happening is WalMart running a "$50 gift card with purchase of iPad" special.

If you want to save on an iPad I think the best option would be to wait for the iPad2 to come out. Obviously these original models will become cheaper then. No one knows when the next model is coming.... if I had to guess, I'd say end of Q1 / beginning of Q2 next year.

tigs4999
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
The having to sync it part really threw me as I expected just to get it up and running. Once it is started you can move your music etc. Over and have them on the iPad but you have to start it with a different computer and an account - this really frustrated me.

As for flash, you don't realize it often but it is with silly things like you can't open some store adds or see certain webpages. I also just miss firefox but I think that is just me.

charmcitymom
11-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Yay!!!! I ordered it!! I got 64GB with WiFi!! I feel so decadent!

FTMLuc
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I stopped at the the store this morning and got a 64 GB one as well! I am so excited! The $41 discount just about covered taxes on it in our state. Now I have my yearly review at work on Monday, keeping my fingers crossed it goes well enough to cover this extravagance :)

charmcitymom
11-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Good luck on your yearly review!!!!!

FTMLuc
11-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Good luck on your yearly review!!!!!

Thank you! I have been out of work with the high blood pressure issues for the past two weeks, so I have no idea how it will go. In our office of 12 people, 5 are expecting :yay: 3 in Dec - Jan timeframe, and 2 in April-May. My poor boss :rotflmao:

sloap
11-27-2010, 06:19 PM
We are pretty up on technology, but we were blown away by ours. We use it all the time to look things up when watching tv and such...and love it for following deal sites like this via rss.

SammyeGail
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I ordered one also from Apple, our taxes were 9.75%! I got the 16 GB with wi-fi. I hope it really helps my son with autism, he's getting an expensive Christmas present, lol! Of course we're going to start letting him use it as soon as it arrives and we get it set up.....

I pulled out my old Discover card, getting 5% cashback, alot better than 1-2% on ebates. When grandma sends a check we'll put it right on the Discover card.

I'm so excited for it to come and Jo to get to use it, I hope Noah doesn't get too upset, he has games he plays on mine all the time. He uses both our laptop and netbook, Jo can't use either of them but to play kneebouncers.com :(.