PDA

View Full Version : ISO a natural foundation (makeup)

DrSally
11-24-2010, 02:16 AM
I have somewhat dry, but acne prone skin (weird, I know). I'm looking for something that looks natural looking (not too dry/flaky, heavy, or pore clogging).

I had some Revlon cream to powder stuff that just looked too dry/makeupy, although the cosmeticscop rates it very highly. I also have some Neutrogena glow sheers, which doesn't really provide any coverage at all. I don't use foundation every day, so I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on something that may go bad before I use it all. I wonder if I should just stick with moisturizer and concealer on blemishes? I know some of you are going to suggest Laura Mercier, but I don't know if I can stomach the price!

mamicka
11-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I gave up on my search for the perfect natural foundation a few years ago. I've tried to take better care of my sking & just use concealer & light powder. DH says he much prefers this look anyway & I've grown to like it as well.

DrSally
11-24-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm wondering if that's what I should do too--skip the foundation and just use concealer and translucent powder...

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I use the Everyday Minerals foundation. It's great because you can put on a really thin coat or add more layers for a really primed look. I usually just do one light layer, enough to just even things out.

Beth

artvandalay
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Boots Lifting & Firming foundation - found at Target. It's around $14 or $15, but is the best drugstore foundation I have ever encountered. It occasionally goes on sale. Gives really good coverage without being heavy. I have some acne scars, and it evens out my skintone, takes away the redness. But you do need to put a dot of concealer on top to completely cover a zit. Otherwise, you would need full coverage foundation, and these always look very fake and unnatural to me.

It spreads very easy. I am acne prone and has not broken me out. It is good for dry to combination skin types.

http://www.target.com/Boots-Lifting-Firming-Foundation-SPF15/dp/B0020C6D6Q

I am very fair skin and use New Ivory. Oh and it's SPF 15 which is a bonus!

daisymommy
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Another vote for Everyday Minerals. It makes my skin look very natural, but airbrushed. Not like I am wearing a foundation mask. The natural glow of my own skin comes through. And it is totally green/non-toxic.
I have acne prone skin and it does not break me out at all.

It's very affordable, and lasts forever--like 2 years out of one pot of powder, for only $12.50. Can't beat that!

There are a ton of color choices, 4 different coverage options ranging from light to intensive coverage, and you can get free sample sets to determine the best color for your skin.

You've got to try some!
http://www.everydayminerals.com/store/base.html

P.S. Their bamboo brushes are wonderful as well.

BabyH
11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I vote for mineral makeup as well. I use Bare Minerals, but I keep seeing info about Everyday Minerals. I am going to need to check it out as well! I used to use Clinique or Estee Lauder but I felt like it looked cakey and I wanted to have my natural skin shine through (for as long as it still looks ok!) and I needed something fast. So usually I just use the BM foundation, eyeliner and mascara, but I'll add a little blush if I'm going out. Simple.

Oh, and FWIW, because I gasped at the price of Laura Mercier when I wanted to get a tinted moisturizer - the Sephora brand one is a good dupe, especially if you are noticing a little dryness. I don't use it often, but I love the way it looks when I do.

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Bare Minerals has an ingredient that some people are sensitive too. I went to sephora to buy some and the sales' woman talked me out of it. She had me try it on and walk around for a few minutes. She said if I could feel it (itchy, tingly...even just it's presence) it probably wasn't good for me. So, I bought some Everyday Minerals and it has been awesome. I just bought the smallest size when experimenting with color and it lasted forever!

Beth

m448
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I use minerals too but from BareFaced Minerals (not bare escentuals). Rhonda allowed me to custom mix my own color in the velvet glove formula and it's great. I use a smashbox kabuki brush - #19 and it applies the foundation beautifully. The trick to a flawless but not overdone finish is to buff the foundation in with your brush for 2-3 minutes. Your skin will glow.

artvandalay
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I do like mineral makeup in the summer, but the reason I didn't suggest it for the OP is that she said her skin is dry, and with winter coming, that may not be the best combo for her skin.

That said, the mineral makeup I sometimes use in summer is Alima. I've tried Bare Escentuals, Meow Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals and Alima was the nicest.

Unfortunately, finding a foundation is really all about trial and error. What works for someone else may not work for you, and you might need to try many to find one that you like. I have sensitive skin and alot of them irritate me or break me out.

Good luck! :)

bubbaray
11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I really like Pur Minerals -- its much easier to apply and store than Everyday Minerals, which I find really messy.

MommyofAmaya
11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I really like Pur Minerals -- its much easier to apply and store than Everyday Minerals, which I find really messy.

:yeahthat:

m448
11-24-2010, 03:48 PM
If you have dry skin you can still use minerals year round. The important thing is to exfoliate manually or chemically for a smooth canvas to your mineral makeup application. I use a homemade vitamin c serum that will literally smooth your skin in a few days and begin to lighten darkened spots in a few weeks. However, if I've been negligent and not remembered to put on my vitamin c serum for a while I will get some rough spots.

What I do in that instance is grab some sugar (brown, white, whatever) and add some water in the palm of my hand to make a super thick paste. Scrub gently on my face and rinse it all off. The most amazing glowing skin instantly and great for that I have to look good now time.

Something else I used to do in the winter time is to grab a small drop/dollop of your favorite moisturizer/sunscreen on your fingertip, then gently dip it in the mineral foundation pot. Just enough to pick up some foundation. Smooth and blend onto your skin. Great match (because it's your foundation) and you get a dewy application that just glows and will sink into your skin easily vs. sitting on top. That's how I use my mineral foundation as a concealer. I just grab a taklon brush, wet it and dip it in my minerals. Dab onto problem spots and then blend with my brush. I then do a dry application on top and buff.

MommyofAmaya
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I use a homemade vitamin c serum that will literally smooth your skin in a few days and begin to lighten darkened spots in a few weeks. However, if I've been negligent and not remembered to put on my vitamin c serum for a while I will get some rough spots.

Can you post the recipe (what is the right word for this?) please?

m448
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
here you go and there's some info on the application (timing, etc.) as well

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/06/vitamin-c-serum-and-thank-you.html

Cam&Clay
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I use a mineral foundation but prefer Philosophy's Supernatural Foundation. I like the sponge applicator better than using a brush. I keep one in my purse and one in the bathroom!

MommyofAmaya
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
here you go and there's some info on the application (timing, etc.) as well

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/06/vitamin-c-serum-and-thank-you.html

Thanks. I'm going to try this.

tiapam
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I like Studio Fix by MAC. Got it on a rec from here. I am dry and flaky too but if I can keep reasonably well exfoliated it is not too drying. Also, I try to do my makeup earlier than I need to be ready so some of the dryness works itself out. I also love MAC's Blot Powder. The makeup artist for my wedding told me to get some for touch ups as it is perfect for controlling shine. I often use it by itself and save the Studio Fix for special occasions or picture taking.

DrSally
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
OMG, there are way too many mineral foundation options out there! I like the idea of an airbrushed look that lets your skin shine through, but evens you out while looking natural. I hope it doesn't make me look dry and chalky though. Do some of them have a slight sheen? That looks good on me, as I don't have oily skin (I could see where someone w/oily skin wouldn't want a sheen). It's good to hear it doesn't make you break out. I'm going to have to try a sample, and maybe stop in at my Ulta to look around. Do you guys find the powder messy? Do you use a big/wide, stubby brush (I've seen some at TJ Max)? I really need concealer too, do you put that on under or over the mineral foundation? I vaguely remember someone saying something about needing to be careful about breathing in the particles from mineral foundations...has anyone heard anything about this?

I really hate the cakey look, but I would like to even out my skintone. Thanks pp, too for the Boots and Sephora suggestions.

Katigre
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I use www.alimapure.com and have been very pleased :).

salsah
11-24-2010, 05:35 PM
i have fallen in love with bare minerals. i have extreme combo skin (some very dry areas and some very oily areas) and am prone to breakouts.

do you have a good moisturizer (one that doesn't cause breakouts)?

you might want to look into the oil cleansing method.

DrSally
11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a decent moisturizer (Cetaphil with spf 15). I work on my breakouts (small, papular pimples) with Paula's choice BHA gel and/or Differin, which work, but tend to be a little drying too.

I've read about the oil cleansing method a bit here, and need to read up on that some more.

ETA: My moisturizer choices are limited since I'm allergic to many sunscreens--Anything ending in --cinnamate, esp. I can handle titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide (both somewhat prore clogging), and Avebenzone.

mezzona
11-24-2010, 06:15 PM
I have dry skin and am allergic to a lot of sunscreens too. although i am not acne prone, i have sensitive skin and have recently been on a foundation hunt also, so i've tried many recently. just wanted to share with you what i've found.

first of all, i found a moisturizer that works well for me - kiehl's ultra facial cream. it is 24 hour, feels light for a cream, and does not have any sunscreen. it's not completely "clean" but it works for me. i have less flakiness and my makeup doesnt look so dry and dusty on my face.

i prefer the dewy look too, because of my dry complexion. however, i have found that i break out with all of the liquid foundations i have tried. i have only tried one mineral powder foundation - bare minerals matte. i apply using a kabuki brush (you can get a cheaper one at target). it does not have bismuth oxycloride (which some people have reactions to). it does have zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as physical sunscreens. there is concern with breathing these in during application of the mineral sunscreens. (i would start with cosmeticsdatabase.com for research)

so far, no breakouts, flawless looking skin, lasts all day. i dont even use the mineral veil. as for application, i usually start in the center of my face and buff outwards.

hth!

also i am going to try maricucu's method for concealing!

DrSally
11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
What's the mineral veil? I'm so ignorant on this stuff. I know it's really popular now, but I really haven't worn foundation in a looong time. I just went on the everyday mineral website and ordered the "medium" sampler for 3.09 shipping. I'm Asian, but with light skin, so I hope it works for me. It seems like it comes with multiple colors to try (not sure if you get to try all the formulations). Some look really pink. Are they supposed to all be foundation, or are some in the sampler supposed to be blush?

DrSally
11-24-2010, 06:41 PM
I see based on this (the colors in these pictures), that it's possible there's a concealer and finishing powder in the kit...
http://www.everydayminerals.com/fan-club/beauty-quick-reads-1/798-applying-mineral-makeup-techniques

Is the "mineral veil" like a finishing powder?

DrSally
11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I was excited to try the Boots foundation, which gets great reviews, but then found out it has Octinoxate, which gives me hives :(

artvandalay
11-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I was excited to try the Boots foundation, which gets great reviews, but then found out it has Octinoxate, which gives me hives :(

oh bummer :(

Finding a good foundation is like finding a good man. It's hard but once you find it you gotta hold onto it!

mezzona
11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Yep mineral veil is finishing/setting powder

stinkyfeet
11-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I use Smooth Operator by Tarte. It is a mineral liquid light coverage foundation. It has a a mineral (vs chemical) sunscreen for sensitive skin, and it doesn't have any parabens. I wouldn't call it a tinted moisturizer because I do have to use moisturizer underneath (I have combo skin). It doesn't make my skin itch like the bare minerals did.

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P67617&categoryId=B70

Some days, i just use the loose powder and concealer.