PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving leftovers... any good ideas?

MamaKath
11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
So I survived. And I have a ton of leftover turkey and ham from Honeybaked, plus roasted chicken (MIL was convinced I didn't have enough meat. I need to come up with some interesting ways to remake the dishes. I figure a nice chicken soup (since I saved the bones) maybe with matzoh balls. Maybe some split pea. What else besides soup???

liz
11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I love using turkey instead of chicken for a pot pie. I think it has such a nice flavor. hth

smiles33
11-26-2010, 03:30 PM
What about some turkey enchiladas? Or an Italian-themed pasta dish like penne with turkey and parmesan cheese?

Kindra178
11-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Love the ideas above. Emeril has a great turkey panini recipe using cranberry, stuffing and the turkey. You can use the turkey for tacos as well. Pea soup sounds so good right now, as it is freezing outside.

khm
11-26-2010, 03:33 PM
The Today show had the "eat this not that" guy on. He had some good ideas. I'm thinking the chili is in our future!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40353303/ns/today-foodwine/

lil_acorn
11-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I have made thsi turkey bolognese recipe the last few years and it is a big hit:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/turkey-bolognese-recipe/index.html

scmama
11-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I usually do turkey and black bean enchiladas
turkey pot pie (I make one and then freeze for another time)
turkey tortilla soup (the same recipe I use to make chicken tortillas soup, just with turkey this time)

Those are my go to recipes, I'm curious to see what other people do too.

DebbieJ
11-27-2010, 01:51 AM
We had turkey tetrazinni for dinner tonight. I'm going to make Turkey rice soup this weekend.

For ham, definitey pea soup. There's a crockpot pea soup recipe on Allrecipes.com that I use. You can also freeze it and use it in omelets, frittatas, quiche, etc.

boolady
11-27-2010, 12:15 PM
We almost always do tettrazini. Since we're not normally the hosts, it depends how much leftover turkey my mom gives us, but if we have more than enough for a tettrazini, we use it in sandwiches or I'll make turkey salad. Soup sounds really good, though. I may have to try that since we've got almost all of the leftovers this year, minus what DH has been eating for midnight snacks for the last two nights.

Pepper
11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
We have leftover ham, too. Tonight i'm going to make scalloped poatoes with ham (saute some onions in butter, chop up the ham, grate some cheddar cheese and thinly slice Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes. Make a white sauce, then layer the potatoes, onions, ham and cheese in a dish and cover with the white sauce. Bake at 375 til bubbly). The rest I'll probably put into pasta dishes with peas and sauteed garlic.

For the turkey, I like turkey and wild rice soup, turkey tetrazzini, and this turkey chili. It's really more like a hearty soup - you can vary the amount of broth to make it thicker or thinner to your liking. I make broth out of the turkey carcass so I'll use that instead of beef broth, but really any type of broth will do.

Pumpkin Turkey Black Bean Chili

Originally from: Gail’s Recipe Swap, posted by Jackie in PA

2 T oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 ½ t dried oregano
1 ½ t ground cumin
1 ½ t chili powder
3 cups beef broth
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
1 can (14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes, not drained
1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
2 ½ cups chopped cooked turkey
½ cup cream sherry
¼ t salt
Dash of ground pepper

Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and peppers. Saute until quite soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in oregano, cumin, and chili powder and cook for 1 more minute.

Add broth, beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, turkey, sherry, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, over low heat.