PDA

View Full Version : Questions about pergo...

gatorsmom
11-26-2010, 06:10 PM
We just moved into a rental house. We've known the people who own it for years and the wife is a spotless housekeeper. When we first walked in I noticed that half the house is a beautiful pergo and it looked spotless. I asked the wife how she cleaned it and she said she uses a little vinegar in her steam mop. Well, I noticed that our socks get BLACK on the bottom of them by the end of the day. It started the first day we moved in. Since the owners put brand new carpet in the house a week before we moved in, I assume it has to be the pergo that is getting our socks filthy. Is this normal? Or could it be from DH and the moving guy carrying stuff in with their shoes on? Seems hard to believe that only 2 hours of them coming in and out with shoes on could cause the floors to be THAT filthy.

So, today I took a break from unpacking to mop the floors. I tried a recipe I found here- 50% vinegar to 50% water sprayed on and then mopped over with a clean, wet mop. Well, it is leaving TERRIBLE streaks. Should I use less vinegar? Should I just use hot water on the floors? I'm loathe to buy a steam mop for use in this house only. In our other house (which we will move back to eventually), we don't have pergo and a mop works just fine on our tile.

Any suggestions?

MommyAllison
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
We have Pergo in our kitchen and I use 50/50 vinegar and water to clean. I spray it on and wipe with a cleaning cloth/towel. No residue, no streaks, no black socks. It's worked well for us for the 15 months since we installed the Pergo. I hope you can solve the problem!