PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of urine smell?

gatorsmom
11-26-2010, 06:18 PM
My dad's urostomy bag leaked all over his bedroom floor one night. Apparently he didn't lock off one of the valves. And although I didn't smell it when I cleaned his bedroom this morning, he said he notices it and he hates it.

It didn't leave a stain so I'm not worried about that. I'm mainly wondering if vinegar will neutralize the smell if I poured it on. Anyone know? Is there something else I should try? When I was there this morning, I doused it with water in an attempt to dilute the stain. It didn't seem to make a difference as far as the smell, but honestly, I couldnt smell it to begin with.

Suggestions?

tiapam
11-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I wonder if his sense of smell is heightened due to his condition or treatments. Although I would think it would be the opposite.

Is it possible that something other than the floor contains the smell? Something closer to him, like a piece of the bedding? Or maybe the bag just kind of smells? :(

What kind of flooring is it?

AshleyAnn
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Try cat urine cleaner from petsmart. Just pour it on and let it dry.

carolinamama
11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I would use vinegar. Last year DS1 peed in the corner of his room (yes on purpose but that's a whole other issue) on the carpet. By the time I smelled it, it was soaked into the padding and probably subfloor. Anyway, I tried everything - including Nature's Miracle and another brand enzymatic cleaner for pet urine. Didn't take away the odor. Finally I got desperate and just poured vinegar on the area. We were getting ready to rip up the carpet it was that bad. We've never noticed a smell since.

I also just wanted to give you hugs. From your posts, I can tell you are a tremendously strong and loving woman, daughter, and mother. You are seriously an inspiration to the rest of us.

twowhat?
11-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Nature's Miracle. Get it by the gallon at pet supply stores. Pour enough onto the carpet where the urine is to soak the carpet AND the pad underneath. It should be squishy with Nature's Miracle when you press on it. Leave it there, wet, for several hours. Then sop up as much as you can using a towel. Smell will be gone, I promise!

eta: I just read the PP who tried Nature's Miracle and it didn't work...wow! I've never NOT had Nature's Miracle work for me!!

elephantmeg
11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
if you have a little green cleaner or other carpet cleaner machine you can use Nature's miracle in that. It really has to saturate through the carpet pad too though so I would pour it on, let it set a while (10-15 min) and then use the carpet machine. Our little green plus nature's miracle got us through weeks of pee accidents with our poor dog with bladder cancer-at the end it was pure bloody pee and our carpets look FINE. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

it's the bissel little green floor cleaner and I got mine at walmart. They also have a pet version that heats the solution or something, but I just have the standard one.

gatorsmom
11-27-2010, 01:06 PM
thanks everyone, for the kind words of support and the suggestions. I am going to try the vinegar first because he has a big jug of that at home. But I'm going to pour it on, like you guys suggested, so it soaks in really well. Dad said he wouldn't be bothered with the smell of vinegar in his bedroom, if that could take away the urine smell. He just doesn't want to smell the urine.

Honestly, I dont' think HE smells like urine either, but I think it's a pride thing for him. He's afraid that everyone knows he has a urostomy bag and that it stinks. I didn't smell anything bad in his house yesterday when I went in to clean it and neither did the kids (who have no problem chiming in with a "what smells?!" Love kids' honesty. :rotflmao:).

Apparently he is doing pretty well because DH called hiim to go to breakfast with DH and Cha Cha and my dad was already out of the house and out doing something. :bighand:

mackmama
11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Nature's Miracle (which you can get at a pet store) is a great enzyme cleaner.

Here's my cleaning method: I spray the area until it is pretty saturated (but not soaking wet). I let it absorb for 5-10mins, then I towel dry the area with a firm dabbing motion (not rubbing). Once I have the area pretty well dry, I lay down several layers of white paper towels on top of the area. Then I stack several heavy books (I only use books with light covers as dark covers have transferred some color to the carpet) on top of the paper towels, and leave it like that overnight. I pick everything up the next day, and the area is usually clean and fresh-smelling.