PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Deals

jellibeans
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
What are the best ones that you have seen this weekend? We aren't picky as to which one we want(we have been looking at the Canon t1i and Nikon 5000). Really, we want a better camera than our Point and Shoot but don't want to spend more than $700.
TIA!

larig
11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been watching all weekend--I want a t1i or t2i. We missed the t1i + 2 lenses for $649 + tax at amazon. I've been watching slickdeals. If I see anything I'll come back to the thread and let you know.

WatchingThemGrow
11-27-2010, 07:24 PM
My friend said not to look at prices anymore after getting my T2i+2 lenses+filter+4G card on Thanksgiving morning for $799 from Amazon. But, I found it by just searching slickdeals whenever I remembered. sorry I'm not allowed to help anymore.

jellibeans
11-28-2010, 02:25 AM
I've been watching all weekend--I want a t1i or t2i. We missed the t1i + 2 lenses for $649 + tax at amazon. I've been watching slickdeals. If I see anything I'll come back to the thread and let you know.

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Canon XS is $599 in the Target ad this week. With tax, that will be under $700.

larig
11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Canon XS is $599 in the Target ad this week. With tax, that will be under $700.

You couldn't resist, could you!!!

WatchingThemGrow
11-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok, just opened the Walmart Cyber Week deals...this may be a better deal, but check for yourself ($499) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-2762B038/14264564
I can never resist these things.

poohbear
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Nikon D3000 at amazon is $449
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=lh_ni_t_fbt_

This is a great camera and takes beautiful pictures (it does not have a movie mode though if you want to be able to take movies). If you are moving from a point and shoot to a DSLR, this is a good bet! :)

larig
11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
costco now has the t1i with 2 lenses (kit + 55-250) for $749 the one with just the kit lens is $649 at costco & walmart--the walmart bundle looks like it has a camera bag that the costco one didn't have.

Still trying to decide what I want to do. I've got the t1i + kit lens that I paid $679 for in Sept, so if I don't find a great deal, I'll just keep what I've got, but I'm sure bitter I missed out on that super Thanksgiving day deal for the t1i + 2 lenses for the same price I paid for t1i + 1!!

Thanks for looking, everyone.

gobadgers
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM
OK, I'll throw out another idea. I just ordered this Pentax K-x for $489 (with the kit lens):

http://cameras.abesofmaine.com/search#w=white%20pentax%20k-x&asug=

I decided on a Pentax because I have my old SLR lenses from Pentax and they are compatible, but it looks like a great camera.

indigo99
11-28-2010, 05:07 PM
As a photographer who uses both Canon and Nikon, I'd go with Nikon if you have a choice. Lenses are less expensive to add on for one thing, but there are other reasons having to do with quality, low noise, better ttl flash, customer service etc. However, like I said, I do use both because both have some advantages.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok, just opened the Walmart Cyber Week deals...this may be a better deal, but check for yourself ($499) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-2762B038/14264564
I can never resist these things.
That seems like a great deal. Anyone have this camera?

larig
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
The xsi is now a 2 year old model. I am pretty sure a new rebel will come out this spring and then the t1i will replace the xsi as the low end rebel. here is a pretty fair comparison of the xsi and the t1i from 2009.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Canon-Rebel-T1i-and-Rebel-XSi-Comparison&id=2311037

I don't have the xsi, but I have owned the t1i for 3 months, and have really liked. I bought a t2i last night at staples (they had a 15% off your purchase last weekend that I got to use. It made the price of the t2i comparable to what I paid for the t1i (which if I keep the t2i I'll return to costco before 90 days are up).

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
The xsi is now a 2 year old model. I am pretty sure a new rebel will come out this spring and then the t1i will replace the xsi as the low end rebel. here is a pretty fair comparison of the xsi and the t1i from 2009.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Canon-Rebel-T1i-and-Rebel-XSi-Comparison&id=2311037

Thank you so much. I am going from a simple P&S to a better camera so I really don't need a lot of bells and whistles. A lot of the stuff mentioned in the article is like a foreign language to me. :ROTFLMAO: I am thinking the cheaper Rebel is fine for my purposes?

babychi
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
That seems like a great deal. Anyone have this camera?

I just bought this camera in early November from walmart.com for the same price and it came with a 55mm lens but no bag or memory card. Now it looks like you have to purchase the lens additionally. I'm still trying to figure out all the settings, but it's been a great entry DSLR so far! A big upgrade from my former point and shoot digital and the picture quality is excellent.

The research I read before purchasing is that the shell of the XSi is great for entry-level SLR purposes. What really matters are the lenses you use with it. The 55mm lens that came with mine has been perfect for what I've needed so far. But I know there are lots of great lens options to add on once you get more involved in photography. Just my $.02 from a DSLR novice who likes to take pictures of my baby.

As a side note, if you choose the ship to store option, WalMart now ships directly to FedEx office locations for free as well. I was able to ship it directly to the FedEx location two blocks from me and it saved a trip to the burbs. :)

BabyBearsMom
12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Costco has a kit with the D5000, I think it had a case and an extra lense for $750 this weekend. I have the D3000 (older model) and it is great. I got it from Amazon with a case, the extra lens (long range lens) and a few other things for $650. It is awesome!

poohbear
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
As a photographer who uses both Canon and Nikon, I'd go with Nikon if you have a choice. Lenses are less expensive to add on for one thing, but there are other reasons having to do with quality, low noise, better ttl flash, customer service etc. However, like I said, I do use both because both have some advantages.

Here is the Nikon entry level:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-10.2-MP-D3000-Kit-WM/13013045
(same price as the Canon)
Sometimes Nikon runs promos where you can add an extra lens for $100...
My cousin who is a photographer also recommended Nikon DSLRs over Canons for newbies and sometimes users...

I have to say that I wish I would have bought my DSLR a long time ago - big initial investment, but well worth it! :)

larig
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
BTW, if you order a lens with the canons you should be eligible to buy an extra lens for $150 off. If walmart doesn't offer it, amazon does, plus you might avoid tax in IL?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digital-18-55mm-Black/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292266240&sr=8-4

check out the full deal here.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=248060&t=2468938

larig
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Thank you so much. I am going from a simple P&S to a better camera so I really don't need a lot of bells and whistles. A lot of the stuff mentioned in the article is like a foreign language to me. :ROTFLMAO: I am thinking the cheaper Rebel is fine for my purposes?

This is what I did. My p&s broke, so rather than replace it, I got a DSLR. I am thrilled with the decision. During the winter it's a little dark here in the PNW, so I am upgrading to the t2i to take better pictures in low light. It gets a little addictive. My new upgrade deal included the same lens. I'm psyched.

BTW, the amazon deal on the xs camera comes out to $526 w/ extra lens, filter.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
BTW, if you order a lens with the canons you should be eligible to buy an extra lens for $150 off. If walmart doesn't offer it, amazon does, plus you might avoid tax in IL?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digital-18-55mm-Black/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292266240&sr=8-4

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=248060&t=2468938 So the Amazon deal is better even though the Walmart bundle seems to have more? Don't they all come with lens? I am telling you, I know ZERO about cameras! :bag Thank you for trying to help me!

tmahanes
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
So the Amazon deal is better even though the Walmart bundle seems to have more? Don't they all come with lens? I am telling you, I know ZERO about cameras! :bag Thank you for trying to help me!

They do not all come with lenses unless it says they do. You can buy just the "body" and then pick and choose the lenses you want. I am getting a 50mm prime lens for my bday and then I have a telephoto lens so I probably will not use my lens that came with my camera much.

larig
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Okay, here's the deal...
At Walmart for $499 you will get.
1. camera body + battery & charger
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. memory card
6. camera bag
7. DVD tutorial

At Amazon for $526 you get
1. camera body
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. lens filter
6. 2nd lens 55-250mm (good for outdoors as I understand)--this is a $200-250 lens for $25 with this deal

That seems way better to me than a bag (which I would undoubtedly hate--the crumpler 4 million bag I got is cute and comfy to carry. I checked out books and DVDs from the library, so the DVD tutorial wouldn't make or break the deal for me.

The "kit lens" is just the basic all-purpose lens that canon sells cameras with (for people who already have lenses or don't want the kit lens they sell the "body-only" versions)

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Okay, here's the deal...
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. memory card
6. camera bag
7. DVD tutorial

1. camera body
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. lens filter
6. 2nd lens 55-250mm (good for outdoors as I understand)--this is a $200-250 lens for $25 with this deal

That seems way better to me than a bag (which I would undoubtedly hate--the crumpler 4 million bag I got is cute and comfy to carry. I checked out books and DVDs from the library, so the DVD tutorial wouldn't make or break the deal for me.

The "kit lens" is just the basic all-purpose lens that canon sells cameras with (for people who already have lenses or don't want the kit lens they sell the "body-only" versions) Larig, you :jammin:! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me! Definitely seems like amazon has the better deal!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
i don't know much abt the current deals but i agree with larig that the amazon deal sounds way better than the walmart one.... for an extra $27 i'd much rather have an extra zoom lens (usually ~$200) than a camera bag + dvd. i also agree that a random camera bag that comes with a kit likely wouldn't be up to snuff and i wouldn't use it anyway (at least for me)...i too had to invest some $$ on a crumpler bag (7million dollar home) and it was well-worth it IMO.

babychi
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree that the Amazon bundle is a much better deal. I just got my Canon for $499 last month and it included the 18-55mm lens...I think it's a ripoff that they now only offer the body and the bag for the same price. Happy picture taking! :)

larig
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Larig, you :jammin:! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me! Definitely seems like amazon has the better deal!

No problem. I had SO much help from the BBB on my purchase of a new DSLR that I'm happy to be able to do the same (I guess that means I've learned something). I've been doing a lot of reading on slickdeals, and the rebels have been hot topics. Black friday and a couple of days after amazon had the t2i (top of the line rebel--retails for 899) marked down a ton AND on top of that you could by the 2nd lens for about $50 extra. It was such a steal and had its own thread here--I think it was like 749. Oh and back then you got a free SD card.

BTW, that's something you should pick up, and make sure you get one that is fast enough--can't remember what that's called. I'm sure you have some around from your P&S camera anyway.

You are going to have SO much fun. Oh, and there have been some threads about books and stuff--I'll definitely see if I can find those and post them.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Recs for bags and other accessories would be great too! Thanks again! :hug5:

larig
12-13-2010, 05:53 PM
duplicate post

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 05:54 PM

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=248060&t=2468938
How does one get the $25 free amazon card?

larig
12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I have this bag. It has been perfect for my camera + the kit lens. I think it will accommodate the 50 mm, but maybe not another big one (like the second one you're getting in the deal).

http://www.ebags.com/product/crumpler/the-4-million-dollar-home/106988
I have the black and it has this great lime green color inside. It has lots of little pockets for lens caps, etc. It is a small bag, but I can squeeze in my iphone, id and CCs.

larig
12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
How does one get the $25 free amazon card?

from what I read it is deducted from your total, so that is why it is $526 and 551 as the OP in that thread said in his/her update. In other words, you never get the actual card, it's just acting like an instant rebate.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks. Maybe that promo is over. I placed everything in my cart and the total is $559.

tmahanes
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Recs for bags and other accessories would be great too! Thanks again! :hug5:

I want one of these bags soooooooooooooooo bad. http://www.epiphaniebags.com/#/shop/ Either the Clover or the Belle. I want a bag that does not look like a camera bag. You can also get padded inserts and put them in a purse or other bag.

poohbear
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
For our DSLR, we have this bag:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro+-+All-Weather+Shoulder+Bag+-+Black/7039518.p?id=1099395911116&skuId=7039518&st=lowepro%20rezo&cp=1&lp=1

It is not pretty and I think it makes DH look like a tourist, but he likes it because it holds the camera and 2 lenses and protects both VERY well....

I have toyed with getting something more stylish (I saw a swiss army bag at target that I think would do the trick), but then I realize that I spent a lot of money on the camera, and keep this one - I don't trust DH or myself... ;)

Those epiphanie bags look nice though (except for the price - LOL) and they seem to be designed for cameras

katrich
12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I want one of these bags soooooooooooooooo bad. http://www.epiphaniebags.com/#/shop/ Either the Clover or the Belle. I want a bag that does not look like a camera bag. You can also get padded inserts and put them in a purse or other bag.

Where do you get the padded inserts? We currently use a backback with a towel in the bottom for padding. I love the Belle bag but I can't see my husband carrying it around.

larig
12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
I think clik makes some pretty cool inserts.
http://www.clikelite.com/shop/camera-capsules/

here's one on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Clik-Elite-CE510RE-Capsule-Small/dp/B0037NZA16/ref=pd_cp_p_2

tmahanes
12-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Where do you get the padded inserts? We currently use a backback with a towel in the bottom for padding. I love the Belle bag but I can't see my husband carrying it around.

Yeah.... my DH doesn't really use my SLR. We have a P&S for him. :)

Please excuse my typos I am typing on my phone!

arivecchi
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Okay, here's the deal...
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. memory card
6. camera bag
7. DVD tutorial

1. camera body
2. kit lens (18-55mm)
3. software
4. cords
5. lens filter

I have some more stupid questions. Please humor me! :D

What do I need a second lens for?

With the Amazon deal, what else would I have to purchase so I can figure out the actual total price for the camera and all necessary accessories? Battery, charger, bag, memory card? The Amazon total is actually $561 since the $25 card is no longer available.

poohbear
12-17-2010, 04:45 PM
I have some more stupid questions. Please humor me! :D

What do I need a second lens for?

With the Amazon deal, what else would I have to purchase so I can figure out the actual total price for the camera and all necessary accessories? Battery, charger, bag, memory card? The Amazon total is actually $561 since the $25 card is no longer available.

Different lenses have different zooms, etc. Some are better for indoor/closeup pics, some better for outdoor/landscapes...
You'll be fine with just the first lens for now...
Camera should come with a battery. Memory cards are super cheap - you'll want an HCSD card - I got an 8MB one at Target for $15 last week...
Bags range in price depending on what you want, but get a decent one to start with - you can go to best buy or Abt and ask them to help you...

arivecchi
12-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Yah, I'm pretty sure I don't need a second lens given that I am clueless about cameras. :)

I just want a good bundle deal for an entry-level DSLR. :)

tmahanes
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I have 3 lenses. The kit lens, a telephoto lens, and a 50mm lens. I use the kit lens for general use, the 50mm when I am trying to get a good portrait esp in low light or if I want the blurry background. I use the telephoto for things like sports etc. The telephoto would be good for pics of kids in plays etc. The lower the f number the better the lens will do in low light.

ETA - I can't imagine that the amazon one does not come with the battery and charger. And I second that you can get memory cards anywhere.

ETAA - just read the whole description.... comes with battery and charger but not memory card!

Please excuse my typos I am typing on my phone!

LBW
12-17-2010, 08:42 PM
If you have an old or broken Canon digital camera, you can upgrade through their Loyalty Program. They sell refurb cameras at 20% off the price via the Canon refurb store (http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252).

Here are some current-ish prices (from Slick deals):

7D (body only) ~ $1080
50D w/28-135mm ~ $840
40D w/28-135mm ~ $720
T1i w/18-55mm ~ $480
XSi w/18-55mm ~ $400
XS w/18-55mm ~ $320
G11 ~ $260

According to everything I've read on photo forums, slick deals, etc., the cameras are in like-new condition (and many are new/returns) and you get a 90 day warranty. 2-day shipping is included. You do pay tax in many states. I pulled the trigger on the 7D body-only today after thinking about it and talking myself out of it for months!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I have 3 lenses. The kit lens, a telephoto lens, and a 50mm lens. I use the kit lens for general use, the 50mm when I am trying to get a good portrait esp in low light or if I want the blurry background. I use the telephoto for things like sports etc. The telephoto would be good for pics of kids in plays etc. The lower the f number the better the lens will do in low light.

:yeahthat: this is similar to what i have too. i have a kit lens (18-55mm) then i have a telephoto (55mm-200) and a 35mm prime lens (f/1.8). these days i pretty much only use my 35mm, because most of the time i'm indoors (i.e. low-light) and am taking pics of my son (so i want him to be in sharp focus but the background to be blurry). as for the telephoto, yeah it's good for sports pics or stuff where subject is far away, so i don't use it much these days since my DS is still really little and i usually have to be in arm's reach of him anyway. :) i do use the telephoto a ton at weddings and stuff where i am outside and sitting far away so i need a good zoom. as for the kit lens, i usually use it for general use when i am outside. or, when i'm indoors and i'm using a flash.

poohbear
12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
This is a really good deal for a beginner - Nikon d3000 with extra lens, case, SD card for $569...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-D3000-Black-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit-w-18-55mm-Lens-Non-VR-Bundle-Plus-Nikon-Nikkor-55-200mm-Zoom-Lens-features-VR-Image-Stabilzation/14262447