PDA

View Full Version : what stroller do I want? all-terrain for 3yo and 1yo

Melarina
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
We already have MacLaren Quest, Silver Cross Pop, Graco DuoGlider, and Joovy Caboose.

You'd think that would be enough...and the rest of my family would think I am crazy for considering yet another stroller.

But.

:bouncy:

I realized today walking DS on a long outdoors walk that I need something better on different kinds of terrain (bumpy sidewalks, unpaved paths, etc.) We don't do a huge amount of stuff outdoors but I wonder if that would change if I had a more outside-friendly stroller.

If I get a double, it needs to be something DD could ride in for a while (90+ percentile for height and weight at 3 yo).

And it needs to be a screaming deal.

TIA if you can offer me any advice!

WatchingThemGrow
11-27-2010, 10:04 PM
The BJ Summit XC Double on AlbeeBaby - I'm tempted to get it myself! http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-summit-360-double-stroller-in-red-black.html

winter75
11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I had your same dilemma, 1 yr old daughter & a tall (42in) 2.5 yr old son, and my Baby Trend Sit and Stand Deluxe stroller was not cutting it on our neighborhood walks. My son did not have enough headroom in the Bob duallie. I bought the Baby Jogger Summit XC double last week at diapers.com on closeout for $382 (reg $649). It doesn't push quite as easy as the Bob but I am happy with it. My son has "some" room to grow in the Baby Jogger and its even less of a problem when he doesn't use the canopy. I plan to use it as my main stroller.

poohbear
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Keep in mind, the Summit XC double is 32.5 inches wide, so it will NOT fit through std. doorways. No biggie if it's mainly for outdoors, but may pose a problem if you plan to use it as your one and only or as an indoor/shopping stroller. If so, I'd spend an extra $75 and get the light blue BJCED for $444 at diapers.com or a BOB duallie for $450 using code 20off at Albee... (City Elite in other colors is $519)
Also you can check out Mountain Buggy Duo $519 at albee with 20off, though that's going to be quite a price jump from the summit... (diapers.com will pricematch albee if you want to be able to try out at home and return)...

Melarina
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh wow, that looks perfect. I wish I could figure out how to convince DH that we need this...great find!

If I end up having to go for one that is $200 or less (knowing full well that you get what you pay for in the stroller world), any advice on which would be the best (or least bad) choice?

poohbear
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh wow, that looks perfect. I wish I could figure out how to convince DH that we need this...great find!

If I end up having to go for one that is $200 or less (knowing full well that you get what you pay for in the stroller world), any advice on which would be the best (or least bad) choice?

Used Mountain Buggy Urban Double (MBUD) on CL (you can sometimes find one in good shape for $200).

Melarina
11-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Used Mountain Buggy Double (MBUD) on CL (you can sometimes find one in good shape for $200).

Thanks so much -- helps to know what to look for!

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
If you are going with the Summit, make sure to get the XC double from diapers.com, not the Albee baby one...that one is the Summit 360 which is the 2009 version. The XC is the 2010 and has a hand brake and a bigger canopy so the kids can have more headroom.

I got the blue one from diapers.com and it is fab! It's going to replace my Duo and BJCMD as my all-in-one double (long story but I think I'm done buying strollers now!). I took it out on the hilly terrain near our house yesterday and the mall today and it did great both outdoors and indoors. The fold is not that much bigger than the City Mini Double (thicker because of larger wheels and footrest, but same height) unlike the Duo, which takes up my entire SUV trunk. The Duo is narrower, but it is so bulky folded that I wouldn't consider it to be a good car stroller. The BJCED is heavier (I heard someone weighed it at 48 lb!) and not a jogging stroller, but has more plush features than the Summit XC.

If you can swing it I would definitely look into the Summit XC double...it's 41% off at diapers! GL!
Here's the link:
Royal Blue
http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=25083
Sand
http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=25085

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Also, you could sell your Duoglider and Caboose to help fund the purchase of the Summit XC (or whatever double you decide to get). I just sold my Joovy Ergo Caboose on Craigslist and got back a few dollars more than what I paid for it :boogie:, and gave a bunch of outgrown baby stuff (cosleeper, Beco baby carrier, Snap N Go, maternity & baby clothes etc) to my pregnant SIL and she gave me a check, so between the two of those I got enough to cover the cost of the Summit XC double! :yay:

poohbear
11-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Goldenpig, have you tried to get the summit through a doorway? Is the width a problem? I have a friend who wants a BJCED, but because it's wider than a standard doorway, is nervous about the summit (she's using it as her everyday mall stroller, so I think it may be too wide?)

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I took it to the mall yesterday and we had no problem fitting into doors and elevators. All the mall entrance doors are usually double doors. I was with DH so I opened the doors for him but you could also use the handicapped button to open one door and open the other door yourself. Actually the doors might have been wide enough to fit just with one door, but I didn't specifically try to squeeze through. I'll have to check next time. I think the limiting step is going to be if you're visiting older buildings or have to get it inside your front door without folding and have a single small door. It's so easy to fold though that I have just been folding it and carrying it in by the handles.

OP, pics and reviews of the Summit XC here:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=379868

I second the rec for used MB Duo if cost is an issue. The older Duos (called Mountain Buggy Urban Doubles) have only a single shared canopy though.

roseyloxs
11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Also, you could sell your Duoglider and Caboose to help fund the purchase of the Summit XC (or whatever double you decide to get).

:yeahthat: I would try and sell your other two doubles to fund an AT double. If you want an inline you can check out the new phil and ted explorer. If you are down with getting a sbs I might skip the summit only because of the width. I think the BOB revolution duallie, Bumbleride Indie Twin, BJCED, used MBUD or new duo, or Valco twin would all be good choices. Mamabargains has featured an easywalker duo for $400 and it includes a carrycot but there will also be a shipping charge. Stalk your CL and you might find a great deal on any of the above.

Also instead of the joovy caboose you may want to check out the Valco hitchhiker which can be used on most strollers including your umbrellas.

Melarina
11-28-2010, 10:32 PM
You ladies make convincing points about the pricier strollers...want to come over and talk to DH?

:yay:

goldenpig
11-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Also, if you buy a quality double like the Baby Jogger or Mountain Buggy or BOB, either used on Craigslist or by finding a great deal like they have going on now (20-40% off), it will hold its resale better and you may be able to resell it for as much as or almost as much as you paid for it. It will be like getting a free stroller, or at least it will be cheaper than buying one of those crappy strollers and having to give it away or donate it down the road.