PDA

View Full Version : dollhouses

boilermakermom
11-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Does anyone have either the Fisher Price Loving Family dollhouse or the Savanah dollhouse by KidKraft? I would like to get DD (shes 2) a dollhouse for Christmas, but I am not sure which one.

The Fisher Price one is all plastic, plastic pieces, etc. However, it is a bit cheaper in price and comes with a car/van.

The KidKraft one is made of wood with the coordinating Melissa and Doug furniture pieces,etc. However, it's a bit more pricey.

I like the idea of a traditional wood dollhouse, but I can't help to think the FP one might be better?

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
11-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Went through the same dilemma last year - and learned the Loving Family is much more appropriate/friendly for a younger child.

boilermakermom
11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks! Did the plastic furniture, etc. last? I guess I just feel like if I am going to purchase the house, car, etc. I want it to be something that is going to last; a toy she can play with for a few years. The wood one sounds much for reasonable with that train of thought.

However, I agree- the FP one appears to be geared more toward the 2 - 4 range.

Did you end up purchasing a different dollhouse, or how did you arrive at this conclusion?

firsttimemama
11-27-2010, 11:11 PM
did you see the wooden one listed in the bargain forum right now - the battat one - sale is only on today though

I got this when DS was about 2.5.. he likes it. But we do have almost all wooden/non flashy toys so he's used to that (We're went non-flashy when he was diagnosed as on the spectrum)

WatchingThemGrow
11-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Did you end up purchasing a different dollhouse, or how did you arrive at this conclusion?
Reading here about how the people bend, move, and are more poseable than the Ryans Room people we had...talking to a friend who has the Kidkraft for her 4yo, and ended up putting it in the attic until her DD is older/plays with it more. She wished she'd just gotten the FP plastic one instead. Trying to find dolls that were appropriately sized/not princess or buxom Barbies... and stuff like that.

We got the FP one on sale through FP.com and a set or two, then added more sets in March I think when they were B1G1. Kayak, camping, etc.

scrooks
11-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question- my DD is 3.5 and I was thinking about getting a Kidcraft one that could accomodate Barbie sized dolls... is it worth investing in Loving Family now and getting another dollhouse later for the bigger dolls. Or should I just get one that will grow with her? We do have the Little People House toy which isn't quite a dollhouse but is close....

WatchingThemGrow
11-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question- my DD is 3.5 and I was thinking about getting a Kidcraft one that could accomodate Barbie sized dolls... is it worth investing in Loving Family now and getting another dollhouse later for the bigger dolls. Or should I just get one that will grow with her? We do have the Little People House toy which isn't quite a dollhouse but is close....
DD was 3.5 when she got the LF one. I figure 2.5-3 years of that one and then we'll get the big one. Not sure what most people do..

traciann
11-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I got dd1 a used FP Loving family dollhouse when she was 3. It was an older house with a bunch of furniture..at least 10 years old. We donated the house when we moved this summer because it was on its last leg and got the new one for dd2's 2nd birthday. Dd1 is 5.5 now and loves it just as much as my two year old does. We are adding more furniture for Christmas. Before I replaced it with with the new dollhouse I considered the PBK dollhouse and furniture. I decided that they loved the FP because of all the details and why spend more money if I don't have to.

My 2 year old kinda plays with Barbies, but I couldn't see her playing with it like she does the Loving Family stuff.

MommyAllison
11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
DD just received the Loving Family dollhouse from grandparents for her birthday. It is a lot of plastic, which we usually try to minimize, but both of my kids love it. DH has wanted to build them a dollhouse, so eventually we may replace with a handmade dollhouse. For now though, we're good. :)