PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller smackdown! BJ Summit XC vs. MB Duo vs. BJCMD (with pics!)

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 04:06 AM
OK! I should be sleeping but I've been putting this off so as promised here are the pics and comparisons of my double strollers. Maybe someone can benefit from my stroller buying frenzy and save themselves from having to do a bunch of returns/Craigslist postings. :ROTFLMAO: As you all probably know by now I happened on great deals for the Duo, then the City Mini Double, but I ended up not quite happy with either...the Duo was great for outside, the BJCMD was better for the car; DH did not see why we had to have two double strollers plus he wanted one with a hand brake. After doing more research I had almost decided to bite the bullet and pay full (or nearly full) price for a Summit XC, when voila, I found it on sale at diapers.com for 41% off! :boogie: So that's how I ended up with four double strollers including my Joovy Ergo. :dizzy: (Although I finally just sold that one on CL, for a few dollars more than what I paid for it :cheerleader1:)

My pregnant SIL came over to my house this weekend for Thanksgiving and I was showing her all of my strollers...she said she didn't need to go to a stroller store anymore because she had me (aka Buy Buy Goldenpig). :ROTFLMAO: She ended up deciding to get a Summit XC single which I found for her at 20% off. :bighand:

Anyways, after playing with all three, here are my observations and pictures:
Pics here!
http://picasaweb.google.com/goldenpig123/DoubleStrollerSmackdown#

Duo vs. Summit XC double (and the winner for each feature):
Weight-Summit-39.8 lb vs. 42 lb for the Duo. (I measured each stroller three times by holding the stroller and subtracting my weight). I am not sure why the Duo is so much heavier than the listed weight of 36 lb. Maybe it's because of the included belly bar? Anyways, the Duo also feels heavier to me and is much more awkward to carry.
Width-Duo-Summit is 32.5 inches compared to 29 for the Duo so the Duo will fit through standard 30 inch doors unlike the Summit.
Headroom-tie-BJ lists the headroom as 24" and Baby Gizmo said the headroom was also 24"
Maneuverability-Summit-I actually think the Summit is easier to maneuver because even though it is wider, it is shorter, and I had an easier time turning it around in my narrow hallway.
Ease of folding-Summit-just lift up on the handles and it collapses. Couldn't be easier. For the Duo, you have to make sure that the wheels are out in front, then pull a lever by the footwell and it folds forward. Still not too bad, but not quite as elegant.
Ease of carrying-Summit-you already are holding the two handles that fold the stroller, which makes it so easy to carry into the car.
Compactness of fold-Summit all the way. The Duo is a beast! I had folded it up and DH said, "So how does it fold up?" and I had to tell him it was already as small as it gets. You can see by the pics how the Duo takes up my entire SUV trunk. It's a very long and bulky fold, almost twice as tall as the Summit. I was surprised at how compact the fold was on the Summit, not that much bigger than the CMD actually.
Push-tie, maybe Duo-Duo has wider beefier tires and a springier suspension so it absorbs the bumps better so I think most would say the Duo pushes better. But I actually prefer the Summit...it actually feels smoother to me to push it, if that makes sense...a little less bouncy.
Wheels-tie-the Summit has 12 inch front and 16 inch rear wheels as opposed to 12 inch all around on the Duo, but the Duo's wheels are wider.
Swivel lock-Summit-it has a switch that locks both wheels at once, as opposed to two knobs that you have to turn above the Duo wheels (and you have to squint to see whether you have it on lock or unlock)
Canopy-Summit-the canopy is larger and slightly easier to open/close and has mesh vents on the side. The peekaboo window is slightly bigger on the Duo and it has a flick out sun visor, but I actually prefer to have the fully solid canopy for more shade on the Summit.
Basket-Duo-bigger and easier to access, with more storage compartments inside the basket
Footrest-tie-Duo is metal, Summit is plastic
Misc storage-Summit-BJ has mesh pockets in the seat backs, which is great for easy access for stowing jackets or small purses/bags etc. It also has zippered pouches on the back seats. Duo comes with a water bottle holder unlike the Summit. Neither come with parent consoles.
Hand brake-Summit-since the Duo doesn't have one!
Parking brake-Summit-it's a single switch instead of a bar so you can attach a glider board to the back for a third child to ride (not while jogging obviously!)
Safety strap-Summit-has a long strap that is attached to the base of the stroller (unlike the wrist strap attached to the Duo's handlebar). So if you were to fall, you wouldn't tip the stroller over. It has velcro to keep it attached to the handlebar so it doesn't drag.
Recline/use for newborns-Duo-the Duo reclines completely flat, whereas the Summit is only nearly flat. My Duo came with a free carrycot (not all do), You can buy a bassinet for the Summit XC single (but it only works for the single not the double), and is $$$. The Duo can accept two carrycots and even a double carrycot! Both have optional car seat adapters.
Recline/ease of use-Summit-the BJ has a one-hand recline and is very easy to use. The Duo has a two-hand recline and when you put the seat back up, the fabric bunches up in front of the seat and is very hard to put back behind the seat. Even by pushing the seat forward, it took me several minutes to do and would be impossible to do with a child in the seat.
Handlebar-Duo-Duo has an adjustable handlebar, Summit is fixed. Although my Duo came with multiple dents in the handlebar foam out of the box, which is annoying. I actually prefer the fixed handlebar though, it feels less jiggly/rickety to me when pushing.
Restraints-tie, edge to Duo. The BJ buckles are harder to open. The BJ has an easier harness height adjustment (simply clips up and down; I don't think you can actually adjust the harness height in the MB) but harder to adjust the tension in the harness (the strap is doubled up so you have to wiggle the strap through little by little as opposed to just pulling down on the strap)
Seat cushions-tie, edge to Summit. The Summit feels slightly more padded to me but both are comfy.
Ventilation-Summit-it has mesh ventilation in the back when reclined as well as ventilation flaps in the canopy, both of which the Duo lack.
Looks-tie-I like the Summit, but DH likes the Duo...he says "it looks meaner" :hysterical: The royal blue and red colors are gorgeous.
Cost-Summit-I bought the XC double for $382 at diapers.com and the Duo for $522 with carrycot/raincover on Zulily (I think the best you could get right now is 20% off on Albee Baby, so $543 without the carrycot/raincover). But since I don't need a carrycot it's cheaper for me to keep the Summit. Also the Duo comes with a belly bar which you have to buy separately for the Summit.
Overall--Either one is great, but I went with the Summit. I think the Duo is better if you have really rugged terrain or want an adjustable handlebar, bigger basket, or better newborn capabilities or have to fit through single doorways a lot. But I think the Summit is better if you need a hand brake or want a jogging stroller that could reasonably function as a car stroller as well with the easier and more compact fold. Also I think the Duo is not technically a jogging stroller (the Summit has a lot more jogging features).

I already compared the Duo and City Mini here:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=377850

As far as the Summit vs. CMD, the fold is very similar (same height although a bit thicker on the Summit because of the larger wheels). The Summit is also heavier (39.8 vs. 27.2 lb by my own measurements) and wider (32.5 inches, so doesn't fit through standard single doors vs 29.75 inches for the CMD), but not enough for me to feel like I need to keep both strollers. I managed to take the Summit to the mall today without any problems fitting in the elevator or doorways (most places have double doors). If you only wanted a car double and don't need an all-terrain stroller for jogging or outdoor walking, then the CMD would be perfect! But it just wouldn't cut it for the hilly/rough terrain in our neighborhood with the smaller 8" non-air-filled wheels and lack of all-wheel suspension (it has front only). The CMD has a slightly larger canopy with two peekaboo windows as opposed to one on the Summit. The Summit has a slightly taller handlebar that sticks out further back. It also has a slightly larger mesh pocket on the seat back as well as a zippered pouch. It also has a deeper footwell that is plastic so easier to clean. And front-wheel swivel lock and a handbrake.

OK--baby woke up so I have to go...hope this helps! Enjoy!

ETA: Here are the links for the best deals right now on the above strollers. Do not get the Summit 360 double on sale at Albee Baby, that is the old 2009 model. You have to make sure to get the XC specifically to get the 2010 model with the hand brake and larger canopy.
Summit XC double, royal blue $382
http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=25083
Summit XC double, sand $382
http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=25085
Mountain Buggy Duo (other colors available) $543:
http://www.albeebaby.com/mountain-buggy-duo-double-stroller-chilli-dot.html
enter code "20off" at checkout
City Mini Double $319 for black or stone:
http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-mini-double-black-black.html
enter code "20off" at checkout (may not work much longer)...thanks Poohbear for posting this!
You can have diapers.com pricematch the MB or CMD as well. Free returns for 1 year as long as you don't use them outside. If you're a first time diapers.com customer you can also get 15% off.

winter75
11-28-2010, 08:28 AM
I love your review! We have similar stroller needs and wants. I bought the Summit XC double at diapers.com thanks to your post about it last weekend. Other than the 7am Enfant Duo foot muff, what other accessories are you using or want to get for your Summit? I'm considering the Sunshine Kids parent console: http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Stroller-Accessory-Buggy/dp/B000SMWUPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1290947124&sr=1-1. Thanks again for sharing your stroller insight!

WatchingThemGrow
11-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Love it. I did the nearly the same thing on here with the BJCED and BOB Rev. Duallie 3 years ago when I had them both. The Summit was not out then, and I was only getting one double that needed to be in/out of the car daily, so I kept the BJCED. When I was very pg with #3 and needed a lightweight containment system for my 2yo and 1yo, DH was given a NIB BJCMD for helping a friend. Now that I have that, the Summit Double could replace the Elite happily. So tempting.

poohbear
11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Great reviews, thanks!
ETA- the difference on the fold between the summit and the duo is crazy! (I finally got through all the pictures!)

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I love your review! We have similar stroller needs and wants. I bought the Summit XC double at diapers.com thanks to your post about it last weekend. Other than the 7am Enfant Duo foot muff, what other accessories are you using or want to get for your Summit? I'm considering the Sunshine Kids parent console: http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Stroller-Accessory-Buggy/dp/B000SMWUPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1290947124&sr=1-1. Thanks again for sharing your stroller insight!

Great! I'm glad I could help! Thanks for posting about the footmuff! I bought two Bundleme toddler muffs in Graphite on Gilt but I may return or sell those if I get the Duo blanket...that looks sleeker and easier to use. I already have that Buggy Buddy, I just haven't attached it yet. I also have a kid's console, but I am undecided about getting a belly bar, because it's easier for DD to get in and out without it and I'm not sure yet how much I want them to eat & drink in the pretty new stroller (I had a Metrolite for DD and I just pulled it out recently to give away and it was filthy...cheerios and goldfish crumbs hidden in all the creases :barf:). I bought two black Skip Hop saddlebags on Gilt as well (thanks arivecchi) and am going to attach them to the handlebars. I may get some stroller hooks too. And DH is decking it out for our evening walks since it gets dark so early now. He attached a little battery operated headlight to the handlebar (I think you can see it in the pictures) and a blinky red bicycle light for the rear. He is wrapping reflective tape around the frame, and he bought a neon rope light as well--I think it's this one:
BikeGlow
http://www.rei.com/product/793960
Can't wait to try it all out!

Kaylee31
11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Great review and pics! All 3 strollers are awesome in their own way, but the summit definitely seems like it's best for your needs. I'm really impressed by it's fold, especially compared to the Duo.

jacksmoma
11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
so interesting! love love that summitt but too bad it's so wide- my bob at 30.5" will barely make it thru doors (i mean scraping the sides!) so the summit would be a no go for us as an only double. if i had a huge garage i would be ALL over that great summit deal!

nmstrong
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
love the review and pics! thanks for posting

arivecchi
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Great review Goldenpig! :bighand:

I agree with what you have said. The Duo is definitely not a car stroller. Where the Duo excels is in its push with heavier/older kids and awesome steering. I wonder how the Summit compares to the old BJCCD I had. I did not find the BJCCD easy to load in the car. It fit better than the Duo but it felt like I had to do a big heave-ho with it as well. I also find the Duo much easier to maneuver than my old BJCCD in the city.

All in all the Summit looks very nice though but the width would be a deal-killer for me as I have to use mine a lot indoors. Nice to see that the Summit has serious rear suspension! That should come in very handy where you live. Enjoy! :)

Mrs.Christie
11-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the review, I'm excited for my Summit to arrive. Can I ask what didn't you like about the Joovy Ergo? It was the other indoor double I was considering.

jacksmoma
11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the review, I'm excited for my Summit to arrive. Can I ask what didn't you like about the Joovy Ergo? It was the other indoor double I was considering.

must chime in- i had an ergo and HATED it! it was soooo long, like a double graco. if i was to do the stand on stroller thing again i'd def. go with the joovy ultralight, not the ergo. it is also very heavy at 34 lbs- 3 lbs more than my double bob! i've never even seen an ergo irl so i'm guessing they are not too popular. great idea, just too big/heavy imo...sorry, had to post!

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Great review Goldenpig! :bighand:

I agree with what you have said. The Duo is definitely not a car stroller. Where the Duo excels is in its push with heavier/older kids and awesome steering. I wonder how the Summit compares to the old BJCCD I had. I did not find the BJCCD easy to load in the car. It fit better than the Duo but it felt like I had to do a big heave-ho with it as well. I also find the Duo much easier to maneuver than my old BJCCD in the city.

All in all the Summit looks very nice though but the width would be a deal-killer for me as I have to use mine a lot indoors. Nice to see that the Summit has serious rear suspension! That should come in very handy where you live. Enjoy! :)

I agree with all of you that the width is the main downside to the Summit XC double. If they had made it three inches narrower and about 5-10 lb lighter and with a slightly bigger basket then I'd say it would be the perfect double. Or the Duo would be perfect if it folded up easier/smaller and had a hand brake and also lost a few pounds. I still think the Duo is a great stroller though (can I still be in the MB fan club?).

The Summit and BJCCD look like they have the same listed weight of 38 lb--both lighter than the BJCED, but still not lightweight. But the Summit has better suspension and a fixed handlebar (so hopefully will avoid the handlebar abuse that Arivecchi's BJCCD got from her DH). I think the Duo would be more maneuverable in the city since it's narrower, as long as you didn't have to take it in the car much. The Summit would do better if you had to do true jogging (with the 16 inch rear wheels), or go down hills. Arivecchi, since you had the BJCCD, you should play with the Summit XC double and give us a report on how they compare!

goldenpig
11-28-2010, 10:28 PM

The Ergo looked good on paper and Strollerqueen and Baby Gizmo both gave it great reviews. I still think it's the best of the sit and stand bunch because it's the only one you can use with a newborn and up with the included car seat adapter that lets the baby stay in a car seat facing you. And it has a huge basket. DH thought that a tandem would be narrower and easier to maneuver than a SBS so that's why he wanted a tandem. But it's so long...it's like driving a bus. And the fold was awkward and very long (49 inches) and it doesn't stand up when folded. The canopy was big but the front part was kind of flimsy (I think they fixed that in the 2010). Also the front seat is not very comfortable...you have to buy extra seat cushions if you want it to be padded. And the toddler in the back also can't nap. Mrs. Christie, you made the right choice. Side by sides are the way to go and I think you'll love your Summit! :applause:

roseyloxs
11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
LOVE the pictures!!! The weight doesn't bother me so much but I wish it were under 30" wide. That's a deal breaker for me. I mostly use my indie twin outside but if my kids fall asleep on a walk then I need to be able to make it thru our front door. Also I don't know why BJ can't figure out how to make a better, bigger and more accessible basket by now.

Thanks for the great review and pics! My friend picked the BJCE for her first but I gotta say I was loving the Summit when we went shopping together.

goldenpig
11-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Love it. I did the nearly the same thing on here with the BJCED and BOB Rev. Duallie 3 years ago when I had them both. The Summit was not out then, and I was only getting one double that needed to be in/out of the car daily, so I kept the BJCED. When I was very pg with #3 and needed a lightweight containment system for my 2yo and 1yo, DH was given a NIB BJCMD for helping a friend. Now that I have that, the Summit Double could replace the Elite happily. So tempting.

Watchingthemgrow, you should get the Summit XC double for $382 and sell your BJCED on CL. I bet you could get close to that for your BJCED if it's in good condition! Do it! :banana:

elektra
11-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Great pics and review! Good thing I am not looking for a double or else I would have to be making some tough decisions!
I looked up my old spreadsheet I made when choosing my double. I went with the Duallie which was the widest of the bunch I was considering and the BOB is 30.8 inches. It does fit through standard doorways though. I can't imagine another 2 inches though. You'll have to report back on whether or not it actually fits through doorways. I really can't see how that would work if you ever needed to go anywhere!

All the features look great though. I wonder how it pushes compared to the BOB. Care to buy a Duallie just to find out? ;)

goldenpig
11-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Great pics and review! Good thing I am not looking for a double or else I would have to be making some tough decisions!
I looked up my old spreadsheet I made when choosing my double. I went with the Duallie which was the widest of the bunch I was considering and the BOB is 30.8 inches. It does fit through standard doorways though. I can't imagine another 2 inches though. You'll have to report back on whether or not it actually fits through doorways. I really can't see how that would work if you ever needed to go anywhere!

All the features look great though. I wonder how it pushes compared to the BOB. Care to buy a Duallie just to find out? ;)

Ha ha, at the rate I'm collecting strollers, if this day job doesn't work out, maybe I should open up a stroller store. My MIL and DH were both impressed that I managed to make more on my Joovy than I paid for it, LOL. And everyone got a kick out of me showing all the strollers and pointing out each feature to SIL.

I'll have to test out the width issue some more and report back!

I'm thinking of bringing the Summit XC with us traveling this Christmas. Anyone know if they'll let double strollers through security? I'm sure they do but DH is making me post this on the BBB--he trusts you guys more than me :ROTFLMAO: