PDA

View Full Version : Best shower/body wash for very dry skin?

wendibird22
11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Well cold weather plus dry heat equals very dry skin. I look like I have baby powder on my legs they are so dry. Can anyone recommend a good shower gel/cream/soap that would be good for me to try. I know that the best solution is slathering on thick cream after my shower but honestly I'm lucky I have time to shampoo and dry off so I'm looking for something that will help while showering.

lovebebes
11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
if you have dry skin i honestly dont think a body wash can really make a difference. Maybe some are less drying than others but you wont get rid of the dry winter skin via body wash.
It would be great if you could slather some oil like Burts Bees apricot baby oil on your skin when it was still damp post shower.

mctlaw
11-28-2010, 03:00 PM
We had good luck last winter with Olay Body Wash with "Ribbons" and plan to use it again this winter (now?). I do not have dry skin by nature but as you note cold weather for months plus dry heat equals dry itchy skin. I am like you and like to minimize my getting ready steps as much as possible and thus I do not do well with slathering on post shower.

srhs
11-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for, but I :heartbeat: this $2 product recommended to me here. (I need to look that BBBer up and heartily thank her.)

I did not have time to towel dry and lotion either, but I do have time to slather on this herbal oil (http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=herbal+best+oil) before toweling off. Love it! It is in the ethnic section, and full of natural oils, no icky parabens or anything like that.

If you are messy with it, it is not good for your pipes or the slickness of your shower floor, but it's a thick enough oil for you to prevent that from happening if you are careful.

Smillow
11-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I made a sugar scrub using grapeseed oil and jojoba oil from Trader Joes & sugar and a few drops of essential oil that was very moisturizing & exfoiliating. It does make your shower/tub slippery & icky after awhile but leaves you baby soft! I don't use soap at all when my skin is very dry - just water and a washcloth.

Myira
11-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I know you said no time to lotion up after bath, but I still must say that this year I have been slathering myself with amlactin right after my shower, and my skin is oh so soft and supple. Otherwise every winter I have itchy scaly super dry skin. I got the bottle from costco and just love it. Also I am trying to use as less soap/body wash as possible. I liked the shikai moisturizing shower gel I got from TJ's last year, it was really very genteel and had no soap.

tiapam
11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
I got a bar of castile soap over the summer at an art fair. I feel like it helps with my dry skin. Also, I am just using less soap in general and trying to spend less time in the shower.

fauve01
11-28-2010, 07:23 PM
WHen i lived in Chicago suburb (super cold and dry!) i definitely saw a difference in my skin when i switched to Dove Nutrium body wash. it comes in a bar too, but i liked the wash in winter. then i lotioned up with something really thick.

definitely try to slather up with some kind of lotion after shower. it really helps!!

MmeSunny
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for, but I :heartbeat: this $2 product recommended to me here. (I need to look that BBBer up and heartily thank her.)

I did not have time to towel dry and lotion either, but I do have time to slather on this herbal oil (http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=herbal+best+oil) before toweling off. Love it! It is in the ethnic section, and full of natural oils, no icky parabens or anything like that.

If you are messy with it, it is not good for your pipes or the slickness of your shower floor, but it's a thick enough oil for you to prevent that from happening if you are careful.

I think that was me!!! I was all set to respond to the op's question with "get some Africa's Best herbal oil!". Seriously, it is fantastic! Your skin will glow and feel soft and supple and not at all oily. I buy it four bottles at a time. It is not too heavy and has no nasty chemicals in it.

LMPC
11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Just wanted to add that after the recent NYTimes article about not showering as often, I have cut back on my all over washings...to about 1 a week. Two other times I will jump in the shower to wash the necessary areas and skip my legs and arms and torso. My skin is amazingly less dry -- oh and there is no significant increase in my stinky factor (I asked DH, who would totally tell me if there was). I also pat dry...instead of rubbing.

Dry skin is no fun!

srhs
11-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I think that was me!!! I was all set to respond to the op's question with "get some Africa's Best herbal oil!". Seriously, it is fantastic! Your skin will glow and feel soft and supple and not at all oily. I buy it four bottles at a time. It is not too heavy and has no nasty chemicals in it.

:waving4::kisscheek::love-retry:

Lolabee
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I've found the key is to make sure you exfoliate well in the shower (either with a sugar type scrub or with a loofah) and to then follow up with a really gentle but rich moisturizer right after you towel off. I was having similar problems last winter and after a bit of experimenting I finally found this to work the best for me.

DrSally
11-28-2010, 10:45 PM

So, does this stuff absorb pretty quickly? I don't have much time in the morning and can't wait for it to absorb. Also, how does it smell?

ETA: I agree with the others that Olay or similar bodywashes may help, but a good moisturizer after shower is prob best. I also recently read that if you have dry skin, you should wash your face, underarms, genitals, and feet, and try not to soap up other body parts.

MmeSunny
11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
So, does this stuff absorb pretty quickly? I don't have much time in the morning and can't wait for it to absorb. Also, how does it smell?

I rub it on while I am still fully wet in the shower but after I have turned off the water. Then I towel off and it's done. There is no residue on my towels. I don't use handfuls of the stuff--only about a dime to quarter sized amount for each extremity. I find it much quicker than lotion. It doesn't have to really be rubbed in just rubbed on.

I really like the smell. It's sort of baby type smell--clean ish sort of. Hard to describe. It's not over powering and I can't smell it after the toweling unless I really stick my nose on my skin.

DrSally
11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I rub it on while I am still fully wet in the shower but after I have turned off the water. Then I towel off and it's done. There is no residue on my towels. I don't use handfuls of the stuff--only about a dime to quarter sized amount for each extremity. I find it much quicker than lotion. It doesn't have to really be rubbed in just rubbed on.

I really like the smell. It's sort of baby type smell--clean ish sort of. Hard to describe. It's not over powering and I can't smell it after the toweling unless I really stick my nose on my skin.

OK! Sounds great. I could just keep the bottle in the shower. For some odd reason, only one of the Walgreens by me carries it.

srhs
11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
OK! Sounds great. I could just keep the bottle in the shower. For some odd reason, only one of the Walgreens by me carries it.
Same here, and they never have more than 3 bottles at a time. And another Wags about 20 mins away has it slightly higher--$2.19. I do the same as PP--rub on right after I turn off the water and before I towel-dry. I do have some residue on my towel, so I maybe I am using too much.
I used to do this same routine with baby oil, and it was pretty messy. Then I switched to creamy baby oil, and it worked well for the purpose but was full of icky ingredients.

wendibird22
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Ok, I'm intrigued. I live in rural USA with very few people of color so I may have to hunt around for it.

DrSally
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I got some of the Africa's best oil, keep it in the shower, and just put a few drops on after turning off the water, then pat dry. It's pretty moisturizing, but not oily if you don't put too much on. I don't find the smell strong. I checked out Neutrogena sesame body oil and it has a lot of perservatives. This has no preservatives (hope it doesn't go rancid). In the winter, I have to use so much lotion to be properly moisturized, so just using a few drops of oil is nice. I get a pimple on my back, so not sure if it's from that. I just don't use it on my upper back now. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!

newg
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I used this stuff when my sister sold it (kinda pricey) and it was amazing.
https://www.arbonne.com/shop_online/showitem.asp?ProductId=7089&menuId=52&withLinks=1 I've never had the time to try other brands to find something comparable.

Not sure if you have a water softner or not, but we turned ours up a few more notches to help with the dry sking. I also try not to use soap/creams/gels too much on my body. I mostly just wash my hair and face in the shower, unless I'm actually dirty.

MSWR0319
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
It's been awhile since I went to the dermatologist, but last time I was there she told me to use Olay body wash. She did mention, like pp's, that it won't replenish moisture but it very helpful in keeping moisture in. For DS, she recommended Dove sensitive bar soap. We were also told to only shower no more than every other day in the winter.

srhs
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I got some of the Africa's best oil, keep it in the shower, and just put a few drops on after turning off the water, then pat dry. It's pretty moisturizing, but not oily if you don't put too much on. I don't find the smell strong. I checked out Neutrogena sesame body oil and it has a lot of perservatives. This has no preservatives (hope it doesn't go rancid). In the winter, I have to use so much lotion to be properly moisturized, so just using a few drops of oil is nice. I get a pimple on my back, so not sure if it's from that. I just don't use it on my upper back now. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!
YAY! :yay: so glad you like it! I'd be surprised if the pimple is from that, but you never know. It is oily, after all.
We traveled to my parents', and none of her stores carried it, was such a bummer to go back to lotion-slathering. Too time consuming!

Oh, and no rancid issues here!

DrSally
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm really grateful for the suggestion. You use so little for a lot of moisturization. Even after slathering on handfuls of lotion, it seems to evaporate and not leave my skin as moisturized as I'd like. I do get the random pimple on my upper back, so the oil may exacerbate that. I'm just not going to use it on my upper back from now on and that should solve the problem. I would totally use it on the kids, but for the walnut oil.

wendibird22
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I bought it too and really like it. I like the soft scent and it doesn't feel oily at all. While it is another step to my morning routine it is much quicker than trying to rub in a thick cream and it actually helps me towel dry quicker so it isn't a huge time sucker in the morning. I do still have some dry skin but it isn't flakey and itchy. Thanks!!!!

KHF
01-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Just as an FYI, I was doing a bit of research on this, thinking I might get some to try, and it appears they've changed the formula. I found this link: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=294271&title=so-africas-best-herbal-oil-has-changed to a message board where some are talking about it. Apparently the "fragrance" added is no longer the last ingredient, but the second one on the list...and they've added some other things as well.

Just something to check for if those things matter to you!

DrSally
01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Just as an FYI, I was doing a bit of research on this, thinking I might get some to try, and it appears they've changed the formula. I found this link: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=294271&title=so-africas-best-herbal-oil-has-changed to a message board where some are talking about it. Apparently the "fragrance" added is no longer the last ingredient, but the second one on the list...and they've added some other things as well.

Oh no! I really wouldn't want it any more fragranced than it is now. Plus, fragrance can be a skin irritant. I'll have to check out the other ingred. Maybe I should go to Walgreens and get the last of the old bottles.

ETA: I just looked at the new ingred. Hydroquonine is the 4th ingred. That's a powerful skin bleaching ingred. No way I'd want to put that all over my whole body.

wendibird22
01-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Boo! Glad I got an old formula.

DrSally
07-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey gals, I'm down to my last 2 bottles of the old formula. Has anyone had any luck finding the old formula either online or at a store? I'm feeling panicky!!

reneed
07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Is this the old one (at 7 x's the price)?
http://www.amazon.com/Africas-Best-Herbal-Oil-Oz/dp/B000HBNAJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311044458&sr=8-2

DrSally
07-18-2011, 11:16 PM
I saw that, but I don't want to order if I'm just going to get the new one, KWIM? Who knows if they just haven't updated their pic/info.

ETA: I emailed the seller and will report on the answer I get. I would still be willing to pay that amount for such a great product.

reneed
07-18-2011, 11:28 PM
And I would be willing to try it for my dry sensitive skin! Let me know what you find out because right now NOTHING is working! TIA!

DrSally
07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
And I would be willing to try it for my dry sensitive skin! Let me know what you find out because right now NOTHING is working! TIA!

It is THE BEST. It used to be avail for like $2 at Walgreens. Too bad they had to change it. I'll let you know what I find out. Otherwise, have you tried vanicream (the cream, not the lotion?)

reneed
07-19-2011, 02:07 AM
I was afraid to try it. My derm gave me lachydrin years ago and I hated the smell and stickness plus it irritated my skin and I assumed it was similar. I use Cetaphil cream on really wet skin and while it's great - it's a pain to do....it takes forever to dry. I love the idea of an oil....just seems so much easier!

Melaine
07-19-2011, 06:00 AM

:yeahthat: I also picked some up after reading about it here and it's great! I am too lazy to use it constantly but definitely when my skin is super dry. I'm sure I will use it more once it's fall.

ETA: Oh man, I see what you guys are saying about the formula changing. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS TO GOOD CHEAP PRODUCTS. I will check my Walgreen.

DrSally
07-20-2011, 11:15 PM
OK, the one sold by Beauty 911 on Amazon is the old formulation. They told me to order now, though, b/c they have a limited supply. I just can't stomach the cost w/shipping included. I ran into Sally's Beauty supply and they do not carry that brand, but they had 2 other brands of oil targeted toward AA hair. The ingred list looked very similar. Africa Royale or something like that. They said that Africa's best is actually a knock off of the brands they carry. The 2 brands were $3-$4. So, I think I'll try one of those before paying $10 a bottle for the old Africa's best.