PDA

View Full Version : Age level for tunnel/tent

liamsmom
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I wanted to give DS this indoor tunnel and tent set for Christmas, but I noticed it's ages 4 and up. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why? Maybe it's supported by sharp metal poles? Is anyone familiar with this one?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16695491&

Jenn27
11-29-2010, 08:03 AM
We got the same one for DD when she was just 12 months! My mom bought her a pink tent too so we only use the tunnel. The metal poles bother me (my butt when she makes me get in it) but she doesn't mind a bit. The tunnel is always a hit!! I'd say go for it :)

MizMojoLaveau
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I am also unsure why the higher age level for safety. My kids loved tents/tunnels at all age levels. In fact, that is why I try to buy tents for donation drives like toys for tots!

liamsmom
11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks so much! I'm loving the idea of a "big" present at a low cost. ;)

DebbieJ
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I just bought a tent/tunnel set for my niece and another one for my nephew. Neither of them are two yet. The boxes say 3 and up but I don't care--they are great toys, especially for my niece who is in PT and needs help mastering crawling (she was a preemie--she is walking great, but needs help with crawling). I say go for it!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
i have no idea why those things are always marked as ages 3-4 and up. i got a very similar set (a maze with tunnels) for my son when he was 6 or 7months old. never had an issues. he is now 10mos and loves to play in it. i'm guessing maybe bc some of them have small velcro pieces that COULD come off and be a choking hazard..but i'm always watching my son anyway so that wasn't a big of an issue.

sariana
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I am of the belief (totally unsubstantiated) that some companies will put ages 3+ on a product simply because they do not want to bother testing it for younger children. I imagine there are stricter guidelines for getting a label for younger ones, so if they don't mind losing that market, why pay for the additional testing?

kristac
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Tuesday Morning has that tent in thier ad for this upcoming week for $14.99

pinay
11-29-2010, 07:02 PM
We got that last Christmas for DD, she was 2 1/2 at the time. It's not the sturdiest thing in the world, but she loves it and we set it up all the time. Maybe the concern with under 3 or 4 is that the ties on the tunnel can come loose and the spring action on it can be a bit forceful for a younger child? If you're the one setting it up though, I don't see it as a real issue.

Indianamom2
11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I suspect the issue is the metal pieces in the tunnel/tent that, if the fabric around them is ripped, could cut a child. However, I would think that it would be just as much of a hazard to older children as well.

That being said, I am looking for one of these for my two kids as well. They are 6 and 16 months and if we took everything that was not intended for kids under 3 out of our house, DD wouldn't have anything to play with!

MeISOE
12-03-2010, 11:33 PM
We bought the tunnel first for DS1 at around 11 mo (he walked before 9 mo) and we use it now with DS2 who loves to crawl through it so much. We do have to supervise because now DS1 has discovered how to jump on it. He also likes to walk around with it halk on his head saying he's a tuba (he's 3 now).

We bought a tent when DS1 was between 1 1/2 and 2. Maybe he's just boisterous but he figured out he could push on the sides and make it flip/roll. So we ended up packing it away for a while. I still get nervous when he is in it.

We bought both at Ikea. The tunnel is solid blue (a somewhat turquoise color) and the tent is an igloo (same blue with lines for ice blocks).

greatcanuk
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
some companies will put ages 3+ on a product simply because they do not want to bother testing it for younger children.

That's true. (I know because I used to work for a publishing company, and sometimes we would package kids' books with a toy.)

Another reason is that testing it takes longer, and we were always on a deadline. Producing the book and toy package by the deadline was considered more important than the designation.