PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: stainless steel rice cooker and pressure cooker

Globetrotter
11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Further update:

I am very happy with the Oyama rice cooker. I ended up upgrading to a bigger one (10 cups) from QVC, for the rare occasion that I cook for a crowd. There is a steamer in there, which has come in handy for multi-tasking. Surprisingly, it has been easy to clean, with no sticking! Go figure.

I like the Fagor duo combi set, also. It's really nice to have the smaller pan, and I use that for most things. It does "overflow" a bit, but it's not a problem for me.

Update:

Thanks for the recos! Wow, I am making some decisions :ROTFLMAO:

I ordered the Oyama all stainless 7 cup rice cooker and the Fagor Duo Combi 5 piece pressure cooker set (made in Spain so these cost more, but I decided to go for it), both from bedbathandbeyond.com, due to their great customer service. 1.5% ebates, and I can get 20% off if I take the invoice in and show the coupons :yay: That was news to me! I think they used to take the coupons online, though, so it's more of a pain, but whatever.. I got to that side every week due to TJs :)
Before the discount, Fagor set was $150 plus tax, and the Oyama was $60 plus tax, so approx. $120 and $48 plus tax after discount, plus the measly 1.5 ebates. free shipping over $100.

I found the Fagor Duo 8 qt. alone at Macys for about $81 after F and F deal, ebates and free shipping (only if I added something else), but I decided to go for the set as I wanted the option to use a smaller pot, plus I much prefer to give my business to BBBeyond.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm finally ready to replace my aluminum rice cooker and my pressure cooker also broke! ugh.

I want all stainless steel surfaces and was wondering if anyone has found something like that recently and would recommend it.

there are some on amazon, but I can't decide which to buy :) I would love to have a combo rice cooker/pressure cooker, but I can't find a stainless one.

Do you have any recommendations?

robinsmommy
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I want a pressure cooker too. They're spendy, but when I'm ready I'll get a Kuhn Rikon - the metal is a healthier stainless steel (Is it chrome that is bad for you in SS? Nickel? Dunno.) and I've heard good things about them.

hellokitty
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Several friends and family swear by the korean cuckoo rice/pressure cookers. I think that when my sanyo fuzzy logic dies, I'll get a cuckoo next. I didn't look into them at the time, b/c I have a regular pressure cooker for over the stove. Those cuckoo brand ones looks like lexuses, lol.

codex57
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Zojurushi. Hands down.

Look for Asian companies for rice cookers and pressure cookers. I'm surprised there aren't a ton of injuries from the crappy pressure cooker designs American companies make.

Amazon is a generic place to start searching.

Globetrotter
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I wanted all stainless steel (on the inside) appliances as we are trying to avoid teflon and aluminum when possible (I still use non-stick for omelettes, pancakes, etc..), so that rules out a lot of rice cookers. I found Oyama and Miracle Exclusives on amazon..

There are lots of choices for stainless pressure cookers, which makes it a tough decision! the Kuhn rikon ones ARE pricey. wow! I will have to look into that.

Sweetum
11-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I bought Fago Duo last year - stainless steel, and am very happy with my purchase. It is, however, just a stove-top pressure cooker. I didn't know you could buy combo cookers.

crl
11-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks! I wanted all stainless steel (on the inside) appliances as we are trying to avoid teflon and aluminum when possible (I still use non-stick for omelettes, pancakes, etc..), so that rules out a lot of rice cookers. I found Oyama and Miracle Exclusives on amazon..

There are lots of choices for stainless pressure cookers, which makes it a tough decision! the Kuhn rikon ones ARE pricey. wow! I will have to look into that.

A stainless steel rice cooker (no Teflon) is to be my Christmas present this year. I'd love to hear what your research turns up!

Catherine

JElaineB
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
We have the Miracle Exclusives stainless steel rice cooker (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5UEQM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000PC3G7M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YWH2QQ7NP29WS3TARZG). It works well, it's a basic rice cooker, nothing fancy. The only thing I don't like is the steam opening is rather large and some liquid "spits" out when boiling, so we make a little aluminium foil tent over the opening, enough to prevent sputters but still allowing steam to escape. Otherwise it works well.

Globetrotter
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
The Oyama rice cooker gets great reviews, so that is a frontrunner as of today! Good to know about the "spitting liquid" issue on the Miracle Exclusives - I read a lot about that on the reviews, too. At least one person had that problem with the Oyama one, too, though she said that happened when they added too much water.

http://www.amazon.com/Oyama-CFS-B12U-Stainless-Rice-Cooker/dp/B002UVQZNI/ref=pd_sim_k_4

Globetrotter
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
For the pressure cooker, I found this set on Costco. Fagor Rapido 5 piece set for $90. Not the Duo, but I assume similar?

This gets great reviews! I prefer to buy from Costco when possible, to get their guarantee, so this is my current frontrunner unless you all have a better idea :) That's the beauty of Costco - they narrow it down for you! (this does not apply to TVs, unfortunately :)) Too bad Costco doesn't sell a stainless rice cooker!

US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=pressure+cooker&Ntt=pressure+cooker&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Sweetum
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Fagor. I do recommend that you check specific pros and cons of each model. I bought the Fagor Duo Combi for $80 from Kohls's and that's after taking into account Kohl's cash (think I bought jammies for DS). I liked the Duo because I wanted straight edges to my cooker, and thought it would be useful to have the 2 pressure settings. But I have not used the lower pressure thus far :loveeyes: While not a ton of information, there's quite a bit at http://missvickie.com/

Globetrotter
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Fagor. I do recommend that you check specific pros and cons of each model.

Thanks for the link. It sounds like the Costco version is made in China - Miss vickie seems to prefer some of the other models that are made in Spain. hmmm...

Globetrotter
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Update in OP!

crl
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the update!
Catherine

Globetrotter
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
update in OP