PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum advice - alternatives to Dyson Animal?

leeza
11-29-2010, 02:55 PM
My brother is trying to buy a vacuum for my SIL today to take advantage of Cyber Monday (her request for Christmas, not his commentary on housekeeping.)

We have a Dyson Animal, which is what she requested, but we don't love ours. We've had a few broken belts and my husband, who does most of the vacuuming, doesn't like how the hose operates.

Any vacuums and deals that you like that deal well with kids, dog fur and a two story house?

TIA!
Leeza

mamaAnn
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
We've had a Hoover Windtunnel for years that works great and I like the attachments for the stairs, etc. It was a bit heavy for up/down but then I got a cheap Hoover wide path for $85 to leave upstairs and have been very happy with it too. Doesn't have as many bells/whistles as wind tunnel but for half the price it's great.
Both rank high on consumer reports and are affordable. Bags and belts are easy to get and cheap to replace. I've never had to replace a belt on either one and one is about 7 yrs old and the other is 1 year old.

I tried a fancy Kirby and while it sucked up the dirt great, it was heavy and attachments were a huge pain! Their customer service sucked too....

I asked an independent vacuum repair place about his thoughts and he said he had more repairs on Dyson than any others right now. He said Hoovers were good but tended to go through belts faster. We've never had that problem though.

leeza
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
thank you!

ajsj
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
hi - I love my riccar vacum and have had it for 6 years. My kids have asthma and the bags are key to keeping dust at a minimum. Good luck!

swrc00
11-29-2010, 07:17 PM
We have the Bissel Pet Eraser and I love it. I amazed at everything it sucks up.

momof2girls
11-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Just a quick ques...I have a Dyson with the ball and I thought the difference with a Dyson is that it doesn't have any belts. Am I mistaken?

bubbaray
11-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Loving our Miele! :)

ivegotayen
11-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Another Miele lover here. It's probably 10 years old now. Going strong. We buy the bags in bulk through Amazon.

WolfpackMom
11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Just a quick ques...I have a Dyson with the ball and I thought the difference with a Dyson is that it doesn't have any belts. Am I mistaken?

No, I dont think you're mistaken. They have the wind tunnel, not belts and bags. If he didnt buy yet...I would suggest he buy what she asked for. It would be kind of dissapointing to ask for a specific item, be excited about it, and then have DH give something similar, but not quite IT.

stinkyfeet
12-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I just got a Miele Callisto--love it!!! (I used to have a Dyson Animal, and this one is better) :wink2:

sunshine873
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
If he didnt buy yet...I would suggest he buy what she asked for. It would be kind of dissapointing to ask for a specific item, be excited about it, and then have DH give something similar, but not quite IT.

:yeahthat:

I wanted a Dyson years ago, DH got talked into buying a different brand & I've been coveting all my friend's Dysons. 3 months ago that vacuum bit the dust & guess what I got to replace it - yup, the Dyson. I bought the Animal ball - the DC25 & I love it. I know bags do better at keeping dust contained, but with my 2 dogs - I would have to replace the bag every time. That got really old. I am thrilled with my Dyson. I love it's suction, I love that it's bagless, I love that all the tools are on board & I love how the hose is easy to pull-out & use mid-vacuum.

catherine001
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I have a Miele cat and dog which is brilliant - i would recommend it to anyone whether you have pets or not! :waving4: