PDA

View Full Version : Polly Pocket organization

WatchingThemGrow
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
What is the best way to store these teensy tiny things? DD was given a box that I immediately stuffed into the attic with fear and trembling. She has been asking for PP since June when she played with her cousin's stash. Seriously, every time I am going to the store and ask, "Do we need anything?" She always yells out from the other end of the house, "Yes, we need some Polly Pockets please!"

Before we send them over to grandma's house to get washed ;) I need to get a storage container for them. What should I get and where have you seen it?

Thatchermom
11-29-2010, 07:07 PM
We don't have any yet, but went through the same thing with DS's Playmobil things. We got a large tackle box and it has worked well for a couple of years now. He actually likes keeping it all arranged by type in the little cubbies.

Not very girlish looking, though. Do they still make Caboodles?

o_mom
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I would suggest something flat and clear. You don't want it deep because then they dump them all out to find something at the bottom. You also want clear so they can see stuff to pick out (again with the dumping). I'm not sure at what age they can really keep stuff sorted - somewhere between 5-8, is what I have observed - so I wouldn't get a bunch of small compartments just yet, maybe a couple of small containers to go inside the bigger one. Something like the flat scrapbook cases at Michaels/JoAnn with a couple of smaller ones that fit inside?

jgenie
11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Costco has something that would probably work. It's near the office supplies. It was like this (http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/photoStorage?productId=10025078&N=237) but I can't remember if it held 12 or 18 boxes. I would think she could organize by type or color and be able to find whatever she needs each time she plays.

Twoboos
11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Personally, I like to organize them in the trash can or vacuum.

I cannot stand Polly Pocket. Really cannot stand her and her tiny little gang at all.

But, PPs seem to have some better ideas. :wink2:

egoldber
11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
We just have them in a bin like this and slide them under her bed: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/storageBoxes/plastic?productId=10000166&green=12011568413

marie
11-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Personally, I like to organize them in the trash can or vacuum.

:hysterical:

We just use a shoe box. PP, her friends, and all their teeny things get dumped out, sorted, played with, and put back in shoe box. Sorting and finding the shoe mates are part of the play in our house.

kristac
12-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Learning Express has a "collector case" that would work well. They will personalize it for free. I can't link a pic but it's in thier latest catalog page 38.
http://homerglen.learningexpresstoys.com/read/catalog/

You might be able to find a similar box at a craft store to sort beading supplies, etc.

Canna
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I consider myself fairly high on the toy-organization scale. For most toys I keep pieces with their sets and have a constant mental list of what's "missing" so that I can be on the look-out for tiny missing pieces.

However, I have kind of washed my hands of the Polly Pockets. I keep them in a kid-sized shoe box marked "Polly Pockets" with a marker.

WatchingThemGrow
12-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I consider myself fairly high on the toy-organization scale. For most toys I keep pieces with their sets and have a constant mental list of what's "missing" so that I can be on the look-out for tiny missing pieces.

However, I have kind of washed my hands of the Polly Pockets. I keep them in a kid-sized shoe box marked "Polly Pockets" with a marker.

I do the same thing with the "what's missing list." The PP came to us EXACTLY as you describe! How funny!

o_mom
12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Since this came back up... Michaels had a three piece set of the IRIS scrapbooking cases on sale this week for $7.xx. It was one large clear case and two smaller translucent colored cases (the size for 4x6 photos). Depending on how big the collection was, this might work well.

WatchingThemGrow
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Since this came back up... Michaels had a three piece set of the IRIS scrapbooking cases on sale this week for $7.xx. It was one large clear case and two smaller translucent colored cases (the size for 4x6 photos). Depending on how big the collection was, this might work well.
That sounds interesting too...I've been wanting to use those for something. Kris, didn't you say you use those cases for legos and such? I would like to have a standard container for all toys with small pieces.