PDA

View Full Version : Brown Rice Cleanse?

Melaine
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyone try it? Planning to do it this in a couple days. I was going to try the Master Cleanse but chickened out after further consideration.

http://www.justcleansing.com/brownricediet.htm

daisymommy
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Where is your protein coming from for 7 days? There is very, very little in the rice, and it is an incomplete protein at that. I would be worried of total exhaustion by day 7. Just my 2-cents :)

Sweetum
11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree that there is no protein. It says "Stick to it for 7 days and you'll get some great results" - what are these great results?

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
My friends did brown rice and lentils (plus maybe some veggies- no fruit or anything sweet though) for a week and lost weight. They added in a few other things like fish, muselix and a few other things and stuck with that for a few months. They both lost 10-15lbs but once they stopped the weight crept right back.

Beth

Melaine
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry, I really wasn't clear in my OP. This is for a cleanse (detox), not a diet. So weight-loss is not the goal (though I wouldn't complain). The results should be digestive improvement and overall more energy.
I was just curious if anyone had done it. I'm not worried about the lack of protein for only one week. I am somewhat worried about the lack of coffee!

Babymakes3
11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
I can already tell you you will be starving! My SIL is supposedly dealing with candida issues and read some book to cure it that contains basically this diet but the one she was supposed to follow did this strict of a diet for 6 weeks (although your're supposed to eat meat and she's a vegetarian) then reintroduce other foods in a certain order every couple weeks after. She has been doing the brown rice/veggies diet for like 8 months now. She is starving, has no energy and doesn't seem to be feeling any better than when she started it so I have no idea why she is still doing it other than i'm pretty sure she thinks shes still fat (my guess is she weighs around 100 lbs and she's 5'6), she's wearing a size 24 in jeans so thats not the case at all! She had lost alot of weight she couldn't afford to lose in the few years prior with everything she's tried but she's lost a bunch more since starting this diet.

kijip
11-30-2010, 04:27 AM
My nutritionist is really, really adamant that cleansing regimes are not a good thing. She discourages them heavily. I am not sure how eating 1 food would aid your digestion. She says anything you need to get rid of can be accomplished by not eating the item vs. Not eating any items. She suggests a clean, high veggie and fruit with complex carbs and protein as the best possible fresh start. I also don't think I could keep up with my kids after 7 days on no protein. It's technically starving yourself to eliminate all those nutrients. It is not just protein. You need calcium, vitamins and minerals. Eta- ok, I see fruits and veggies are allowed, unlike the thing a coworker di with JUST rice. If you ate a lot of veggies, you could last 7 days without a lot of protein. Though, I still don't see the point. There is not a lot of science behind most of these food cleansing theories.

Sillygirl
11-30-2010, 08:29 AM
It's nonsense. You can't "pull toxins" from your body out through your colon, no matter what you eat. If you could, why would you have to eat only one certain food? In a way it's too bad, because I'm sure my dialysis patients would love to clean their blood by eating, rather than hooking up to a machine three times a week.

All this will do is induce a little starvation-associated ketosis and give you a little buzz, which you will interpret as feeling "cleansed."

Melaine
11-30-2010, 08:34 AM
It's nonsense. You can't "pull toxins" from your body out through your colon, no matter what you eat. If you could, why would you have to eat only one certain food? In a way it's too bad, because I'm sure my dialysis patients would love to clean their blood by eating, rather than hooking up to a machine three times a week.

All this will do is induce a little starvation-associated ketosis and give you a little buzz, which you will interpret as feeling "cleansed."

Wow! That's certainly harsh considering you clearly didn't even look at the link. It isn't eating only "one certain food". This is NOT "rice only", but brown rice, plus fruits and vegetables. And a high fiber diet should cleanse the colon, I'm not sure why this is even being called into question. I'm not surprised that you guys are not a fan of natural medicine in general, but the disgust in your response was a little extreme. I wasn't suggesting your dialysis patients eat rice.

alirebco
11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
The only cleanse I did was recommended by my acupuncturist and it was the Standard Process food based 21 day based cleanse. For the first 10 days, you have protein shakes, all the veggies and fruit you want plus brown rice and lentils. After that, you add in wild fish and organic chicken. So it's basically no dairy, no wheat or gluten, no sugar, and no caffiene for 21 days. Because you can actually eat a lot of foods, I wasn't starving at all and found it really easy. Oh and you also take pills every day.

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/psppurification.spi

kijip
11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow! That's certainly harsh considering you clearly didn't even look at the link. It isn't eating only "one certain food". This is NOT "rice only", but brown rice, plus fruits and vegetables. And a high fiber diet should cleanse the colon, I'm not sure why this is even being called into question. I'm not surprised that you guys are not a fan of natural medicine in general, but the disgust in your response was a little extreme. I wasn't suggesting your dialysis patients eat rice.

These boards are pretty pro-"natural medicine" types IMO. Just because someone thinks there is no science to support a restrictive cleanse type diet, does not mean they are being mean. Having a website does not make something true.

Fly
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I am a huge fan of the Brown Rice cleanse, and am actually doing it right now (I'm on day 3). It is an excellent cleanse and everyone should do it once a year to clean up their colon, improve digestion and to reintroduce foods to their system. Plus, there's numerous psychological and philosophical benefits as well (understanding what food is, how it tastes, our constant need to overeat, etc).

My cleanse consists of steamed organic short grain rice, any organic raw green veggies, herbs and herbal tea. I am doing it for 10 days. Then gradually re-introducing other foods into my diet, meat being the last thing to introduce (although I don't eat a lot of meat in general, but I eat tons of fish and seafood). When you cook rice add turmeric, cilantro, parsley, oregano. Those herbs will help you get rid of all the toxins faster, they are rich in antioxidants plus have tons of great properties.

Fruit and other veggies: some sites tell you to eat fruit and all veggies you want. The problem with that is that fruit is high in sugar. The yeast inside your colon strives on sugar, and, during your fast your goal should be to get rid of that yeast. So if you decide to eat fruit and carrots and other sugary veggies, your cleanse will be incomplete.

Hunger: during the fast you should never feel hungry. You can eat as much of the above as you like. There's a huge difference between hunger and food craving. Yes, you will be craving various foods, because of your lifelong habits. But you will not be hungry if you eat brown rice and veggies.

Lack or protein issue: you will be getting substantial amount of protein, vitamins and minerals. No, you will not be able to run a marathon, but you will be able to carry on with your daily duties and exercise in the gym. We're talking about 10 days here (or 7, or 3 if you choose to), not six months.

The fast is not only for your body, but also for your mind. Meditate, read, follow your thoughts. Fasting is a great experience and I advice everyone to do it.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Namaste.

Fly
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
P.S.

And don't forget to drink LOADS of water and herbal teas. It's a must.

Also, you can have 1/4 of an avocado (or 1/2 if they are small) after the first three days. On days 8, 9 and 10 it is ok to add organic carrots, organic tomatoes and other organic non green veggies. But hold off the sugary fruit till the end of your cleanse.

Remember, first three days will be the hardest (especially day 3!). Afterwards, it will be a smooth ride.