PDA

View Full Version : Which Phil n Ted?

reissgirl
11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
DS2 is due in a few weeks and DS1 is 2.5. DS1 doesn't like the stroller that much (never has) but it is still invaluable to me for naps.

After looking at the Britax B-Ready and the Uppa Baby Vista, I think that a PnT might be the best fit for us. I didn't like the push on the B-Ready - it felt really heavy e/t it was empty when I tried it. The Vista felt too wide and massive.

I am so confused by the Phil n Ted selection. Please shed some light on the differences between their strollers, and which one might be the best fit for me. I'm also not sure what features the Verve has that would warrant me waiting until January.

Thanks!

poohbear
11-29-2010, 10:08 PM
What features are important to you? What are you confused by?

I had a sport and it was a great stroller all around (I owned the doubles kit but never used it because I only have one LO at the moment), but the canopy was awful and the brake was difficult to engage/disengage.
The new version of the Sport is the Explorer and the version down from that is the Classic (which seems to be a Sport with a better canopy and a fixed handlebar, and a nice price: $349 msrp http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Phil-&-Ted-s-Classic-Buggy-Single-Stroller_10119631_10208_10000001_-1_
Doubles kit is $80

Mrs.Christie
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know if my opinion counts much as I have no real experience with double strollers, but I have given them a considerable amount of thought. Initally I was all set on a P&Ts, specifically the Explorer. It seemed like it would work for both indoor use and outside stuff where I would want all-terrain features. After thinking about it for a while and after reading review after review I came to the conclusion that it probably would not work out for us.

For indoor use like mall shopping there seem to be one big issue, lack of storage that is needed when shopping. First of all with the jump seat on there would be zero basket storage. Also ,with the jump seat I wouldn't be able to hang my diaper bag or probably any bag with a mommy hook as they would hang down right on the lower child's head.

For outsite use there are several issues. The child in the lower seat wouldn't have much of a view, and this seems like it would be a problem at the zoo or anyplace where the kids would like to see stuff. Also, the child in the lower seat is so close to the ground that in rainy or snowy weather they might get wet when the tires kick water and mud up.

For those reasons I decided against the Explorer and I think I will end up with a double for indoor use, and larger all-terrain stroller for outside use. There is that MB recently mentioned, the Duet maybe?- anyway it sounds like that might be a good all-in one double though it is a SBS. I always swore I would never own a side by side, but after testing the tandem options out and doing much research I've come to the conclusion that SBS are superior for the most part.

Anyway, if I was set on a Phil & Ted's I would get the Explorer.

eno0609
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
We've had the new Explorer for a couple months now and love it, here is a review I did comparing it to the 2009 Vibe which we sold to get the Explorer: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=375022
One thing that I would now add to that review is that the folding mechanism is a little stiff so sometimes it isn't a one hand fold, I'm hoping it's a new stroller thing and it loosens up over time... will probably try some wd-40 or something.

The only reason I would wait to get a 2011 Vibe or Verve is if you prefer the look of the brushed aluminum over the black steel of the Explorer or want 4 tires (Verve)

I don't know if my opinion counts much as I have no real experience with double strollers, but I have given them a considerable amount of thought. Initally I was all set on a P&Ts, specifically the Explorer. It seemed like it would work for both indoor use and outside stuff where I would want all-terrain features. After thinking about it for a while and after reading review after review I came to the conclusion that it probably would not work out for us.

For indoor use like mall shopping there seem to be one big issue, lack of storage that is needed when shopping. First of all with the jump seat on there would be zero basket storage. Also ,with the jump seat I wouldn't be able to hang my diaper bag or probably any bag with a mommy hook as they would hang down right on the lower child's head.

True that storage is less with a child in the double seat but all you need are a couple of saddle bags (we use the Skip Hop Saddlebags) they are a little smaller and sleeker than the Phil & Teds pannier bags but hold quite a bit for the size.

I also just ordered the Phil & Teds Mini Diddie Bag which clips onto the frame at the back of the double seat. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm thinking that it will be good extra storage especially when we need to bring the storm cover.

Instead of the Mommy Hook we use the Mighty Buggy Hooks by Think-King, they velcro onto the sides of the handle bars and bags don't hit DS in the head at all. We also have the Stroll-Air Organizer-Console on the handle bar (great for holding drinks, wallet, keys, cell phone, tissues etc.)

For outsite use there are several issues. The child in the lower seat wouldn't have much of a view, and this seems like it would be a problem at the zoo or anyplace where the kids would like to see stuff. Also, the child in the lower seat is so close to the ground that in rainy or snowy weather they might get wet when the tires kick water and mud up.

This has never been an issue for us, we just turn the stroller to the side at places like the zoo and DS has no problem with the view. The tires don't kick up water or mud on DS and there are tire guards so he can't grab the wheels.

nmstrong
11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I have owned a vibe, sport, and now an explorer.
The vibe looks amazing but has this large akward handlebar (i have kinda small hands) and does not push and steer that nice (both items they have addressed with the vibe 2 -2011 model
the sport handles and steers like a dream even with heavier kids in it but I was not impressed by the canopy (skimpy), recline- its a loud zipper that got caught and broke once on mine, and brake-so hard to disengage, especially with flip flops. I ended up using my hands often (which is gross considering I used my foot to engage it)
Now I am using the explorer. I wanted something a little smaller than my bob duallie revo but with a nice push still. My son will only ride occasionally so that extra jump seat in the back is just right for him to pop in and out of. I like it so far. Fixs my issues with the canopy and seat recline (now it is a strap system-not my favorite but better imo than zipper) also there is a canopy on the doubles kit (which we can't use because my son is too tall). The only thing I noticed is that the steering and push feels a little heavier than the sport. maybe its just in my mind though. I miss my sport i think but need the extra sun coverage.
But to address the issue about kids not wanting to sit in the back because they can't see- mine never had problems. they all love sitting in the back...

smilequeen
11-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I have a Sport and I've been considering upgrading to the Explorer (but probably won't b/c my last 2 are going to be 3.5 years apart and I probably won't need it long enough to justify it). With 2.5 years, I found the stroller to be pretty much perfect, but the Explorer is better, so that's what I'd get.

FWIW, my oldest was not a big stroller rider anymore like yours and I just wanted him to have a place to sit. If we went to someplace like the zoo by the time DS2 even cared about seeing anything, DS1 was walking most of the time anyway. Even though the rear seat is supposed to be for the smaller child, when he was hopping in and out all the time I just let DS1 sit back there for brief periods. I also bought the panier bags and they were great. I used the basket too and whoever was in back just rested their feet on my diaper bag :)

legaleagle
11-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Funny, I was just thinking of starting a P&T thread because while I was googling info on the hammerhead I found this from the P&T support board.

Though we could not recommend using the hammerhead doubles kit on the explorer as this configuration has not been safety tested, the two are compatible and use would be at your discretion.

http://philandteds.com/en/chatterbox/forum/view-postlist/forum-1-push/topic-420-explorer-and-hammerhead-differences-in-toddler-seats

I just played with the explorer in the store and I liked it more than I thought I would. My 6 month old absolutely loved being in the bottom because it meant he could chew on the recline straps, LOL. If you really can use the recling seat on the explorer I think I would get it.

reissgirl
11-30-2010, 01:14 AM
So it sounds like the overall winner, from the line they currently offer, is the Explorer.

Does anyone have a comparison between the Explorer and the Hammerhead? I don't really care about the reclining back seat, assuming that DS1 can sit in it (he's 25 pounds and not very tall for 2.5). He can fall asleep in a relatively upright position. The 4 wheels entice me only because I now have a 3-wheel Valco Trimode and don't love the way it steers, especially around sharp corners - like getting into doorways.

If I were to opt for the Hammerhead, I'd love to know how the Verve will differ.

I am SO intrigued by the Duette but I really can't wait until the spring unless, of course, that means a firm March timeline. I would be so bummed to use an Ergo and a single for a while only to find out that it won't actually ship until much later.

eno0609
11-30-2010, 02:14 AM
I've never tried or even seen a Hammerhead IRL but I always thought that 4 wheels were better than 3 as well because of the way that the 09 Vibe steered compared to our old Frog and Macs....until I tried the Explorer (and played with the MB Swift and Urban Jungle). The Explorer turns really well in tight spaces.