PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a top loader without an agitator?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
So I went to sears today to look at washers/dryers and apparently you can't get a top loader with an agitator anymore. They're are being phased out to make way for the agitator-less models. News to me. I also apparently can't put my deterget directly into the drum anymore.

So this puts us back to the beginning-top loader or front loader. I'd rather not get a front loader since I can't really swing the 250 for the base right now and with mil's back issues(she lives with us) she can't reach down into the fl without the pedestal.

Does anyone have a washer without an agitator? Could you please let me know how you like it?

val01
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a top loader washer without the agitator. I really like it. I don't have the room for a door to swing open on a front loader. We haven't had any issues in the 8-9 mths we have had it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02669712000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Sears runs it about 20% off the price shown in the ad occasionally. It holds a ton. Hope this helps.

Valerie

bluestarfish18
11-29-2010, 10:39 PM
We had a Maytag with 2 agitators on the sides, like 2 giant discs that spun around. I liked it so much more than a regular center agitator...no clothes got stuck in the middle, twisted around the core, and no hole in the post that got clogged with dust after using it for softener.

Indianamom2
11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
We have the Maytag Bravos set with no agitator. I've had it for 20+ months and don't have any complaints. In fact, I love it because it holds an absolute TON of laundry.

Then again, I had a base-line cheap top loader that smelled funky before that, so anything would have been an improvement.

ssjarrett
11-29-2010, 11:05 PM
You can still get a center agitator model...I just bought a Maytag Centennial washer at Home Depot online over the weekend for $249 delivered. It is not Energy Star--just the old style top loading washing machine. (Not sure how long the sale is--might end today, but started earlier in November).

When I was looking into our options, it certainly seemed that many of the Energy Star toploaders had very mixed reviews and an appliance repair shop told me they had lots of problems. If I wanted to spend the money, I was going to get a Speed Queen. (old traditional style with all metal interior built the same as the commercial ones at the laundromat) This one we got was so cheap it was hard to pass up (and had decent ratings in Consumer Reports).

codex57
11-30-2010, 12:04 AM
My parents' leaks. I think it's without agitator. Whirlpool Calypso. No stick in the middle with a hole to pour in the detergent. Looks sorta like a citrus squeezer. They're in the market for new ones. Won't be a toploader again.

LarsMal
11-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I just had my top loader carted away a few weeks ago after leaking...again! We only had it for four years and it was nothing but trouble. I had a love-hate relationship with it, but in the end I had to let it go. DH refused to sink another penny into repairs or warranties. We had a Kenmore Elite Oasis. I think we may have gotten a bad model. We had to have the computer panel replaced twice and it leaked several times. I have a friend who has one, though, and she has never had a problem with it.

I loved (and miss) how HUGE it was! That sucker could wash a lot of clothes, towels, etc. I actually wanted the LG top loader, but DH pushed a front loader on me (it was cheaper). I liked the top load better, but just couldn't risk another leaking machine.

happymom
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM
DH is in the appliance business. He says its not true that the top loaders with agitators are being phased out. Theyre just trying to encourage the ones without agitators since there is a larger profit margin for them.

He said Home Depot has a special right now for a full size top loading machine- here's the link:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/THDCoordinatingItemsView?productId=100654522&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=appliance_event-_-laundry-_-100654518&locStoreNum=6175&marketID=373

DH says its a great deal and a great machine. No computer panel is a plus since it means less to break!

I think the deal ends in 15 min though....

HTH!

JTsMom
11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I have a Maytag Bravos. I like the lack of an agitator b/c I can cram my king size comforter into it. We've had ours for just shy of a year- so far, so good.

The fact that it holds so much is both good and bad. Folding a HUGE load of laundry takes longer, but it's not like you wouldn't have to fold it all eventually anyway, kwim? It just seems like it takes forever to do a load- but you're doing 1/2 the loads.

DrSally
11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Ivy (Thethreeofus) has one, I think, the Calypso maybe? She has had major problems with it. I think it was one of the newer ones though. She would know better, lol!