PDA

View Full Version : When do you go to the doctor (when sick)?

BabyBearsMom
11-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Usually, I only call my doctor if I have a fever. I have had a really terrible cold for over a week. Sorry for the TMI, but I am very congested and when I blow my nose, I have tons of green snot coming out. I have used decongestants and nasal spray to get through the day. I tried staying in bed all weekend and have been drinking tons of liquids. I don't have a fever. Would you call the doctor or just try to tough it out?

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I rarely call for general illnesses. Most things I can handle on my own or I know there is nothing they can really do. I don't call for a fever unless it is accompanied by some abnormal pain. Green mucus doesn't necessarily mean anything, btw. If it were me I'd probably just tough it out some more. It sounds like a nasty cold but they can't really do anything for that anyway. Feel better!
Beth

infomama
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I usually only go when I get a fever I can't manage or if I feel a cold move into my chest as I have asthma. I think I may have gone for a sinus infection once that needed antibiotics.

egoldber
11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I really never go for a cold. I can generally tell when I have a sinus infection, because I have green mucous AND a terrible sinus headache/sinus pressure.

Rainbows&Roses
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
No. That sounds like a normal cold to me. I take tons of vitamin C and D while sick and that sometimes shortens the duration, but they are "supposed" to last a week or more. There is nothing a doctor can do at this point. If you still have it after 10 or more days with no signs of improvement, then I might call the dr.

I despise the common cold. I would pay BIG money to avoid ever having one again and so wish someone would find a cure. I hope you start feeling better soon.