PDA

View Full Version : s/o: so did you drink alcohol during, and after pregnancy?

AnnieW625
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
With two of my three of my pregnancies I had either wine or beer in the first week or two I knew I was pregnant. With DD1 I had to go to my high school reunion and I had just found out that I was pregnant three days before so I had a glass of wine or two at my parents house, and a beer at the reuinion. With the baby we lost I don't recall drinking any alcohol at all because we didn't have to travel and conceal that I was pregnant. With DD2 I found out I was pregnant a week before a planned trip to my parents house so I had a glass of wine each night I was there (so three total IIRC).

With DD1 I do remember having a glass of wine at the tail end of my pregnancy. With both successful pregnancies I had no issues have a glass of wine once I was home from the hospital, and I started drinking a beer every so often with each girl around two weeks old; unfortunately it didn't help my milk production at all.

edurnemk
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
No, not a drop, but I don't drink very often anyway and when I do it's just one glass of wine (I hate beer), so no one thought it was weird if I didn't drink. And when nursing I also didn't drink anything. So I went 21 months without alcohol.

ellies mom
11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
I had the very occasional small glass of beer while I was pregnant with my oldest. And while I was nursing, I'd drink beer with dinner or in the evening after the kids go to bed. I don't usually drink more than one in a sitting so I don't worry about it much.

WolfpackMom
11-30-2010, 12:55 PM
When pregnant, I had maybe 1/8 oif a glass of champagne at my friend's bachelorette because I wasn't sure yet if I was pregnant. lol Otherwise none.

When nursing, the first few months I didn't. Since then I might occasionally have a drink, but I rarely drank before kids. If i have more than one drink its when it will be hours before he nurses again.

infomama
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I did not.

luckytwenty
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Not while pregnant, but I am breastfeeding now and will have a glass of wine on occasion. I missed it!!

HonoluluMom
11-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I also didn't drink a drop during pregnancy and I haven't drank since DD was born since I'm nursing.

Melaine
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Nope, not when I was pregnant or nursing. But I rarely drink, and only one or two tops when I do, so it was no big deal.

ijopint
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
no alcohol or smoke during my pregnancy b/c i never did it anyway in the first place.
When I was nursing.. and pumping at work now, my boss(French) suggested to me to drink beer to increase milk production.. When she was pregnant(my French boss) she said she never stopped smoking and drinking WINE and her kids turned out normal ,college grad./working and good kids.

BabyBearsMom
11-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I didn't while pregnant but I'm not a big drinker. While pregnant the smell of alcohol was really gross to me. While breast feeding, I have a glass of wine once (on our anniversary). I don't really miss it though.

lizzywednesday
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
With my morning sickness, I didn't even want to look at alcohol and the smell of any wine, spirit or beer made me ill.

However, all bets were off by 32 weeks, which is when my brother got married. I had a sip of whatever they toasted with and seltzer the rest of the night.

When DD was 8 days old, it was St. Patrick's Day and I wanted a Guinness. I had a few sips but felt tipsy, so I stopped drinking and left most of the pint on the table. After lunch I went back and pumped, no longer feeling the effects, and overflowed the collection container.

I'm still nursing.

I do have a drink here and there, but not with any regularity. And, no, I don't really miss it.

Momit
12-01-2010, 05:12 AM
I had a few drinks - beer and wine - in the first few weeks before I knew I was pregnant. As soon as I found out, I didn't drink at all. I had an occasional beer while I was breastfeeding.

DietCokeLover
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
No, but I don't drink alcohol ever, so no big deal for me. Diet coke was another story. but I gave it up during pregnancy and nursing.

scrooks
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
When I was pregnant with DD we went out to eat a lot more (obviously prekids:)) so I would take an occasional sip from DH's wine or drink. The worst was when we went out for mexican and everyone else had margaritas....my favorite...I probably would have several sips then. This was when I was 20+. When pregnant with DS, DD was at a bad age for eating out so we didn't and I probably didn't consume any alcohol while pregnant with him.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
A tiny bit, like 3 glasses total but I don't even think that much. After the birth I would go back to my normal, like 1-2 per month.

Beth

egoldber
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
With each pregnancy, I probably had 2-3 glasses of wine per pregnancy. None in the first trimester because the smell of alcohol makes me nauseated in the first trimester. (Just like with coffee.) With older DD I had quite a bit at her conception. Hence her conception. :o

When nursing I drank a lot compared to what most report on this board. Probably 3-4 beers or glasses of wine a week.

Twoboos
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I had a few drinks here and there while pg/nursing. Usually I would only drink half, sometimes I just felt like having a little something.

Sometimes I just wanted couple of sips with dinner, like a quarter glass. Once I went to a friend's house for dinner, she got a little cordial glass and poured a thimble's worth of wine in there for me. It made me feel so good to drink wine out of a "real" glass! :)

kam
12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Small amounts, in the 3rd trimester. DH and I regularly have wine with dinner, and I miss it. So a few times a week, I have about 2 oz. it's nice!

While nursing? Yep. But I limit it to only a glass or a beer, and do it while nursing. Then, by the time she nursed again, it was long gone! :-) I spoke with my LC and pediatrician about it, and they both said that was totally fine (and ingenious!)

dec756
12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
i did not confirm pregnancy until 10 weeks along! i did have a few drinks before i found out but none after. i did not drink while doing the every 2 hr nursings back in the olden days :) but i do now after ds goes to sleep

bostonsmama
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
There were about 6 times when I had the equivalent of 2oz of wine, and 3 times when I had a 2oz portion of my DH's beer, all in the 2nd and 3rd tri. Since birth I've had a sip of DH's beer and 2oz of wine at Thanksgiving. I'm pretty paranoid about it ending up in my milk, though. I used to enjoy 1-2 glasses/wine a week w/ dinner pre-pg, but I just find it unnecessary now...I don't need help relaxing. LOL

liamsmom
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I had two non-consecutive sips of beer while I was pregnant. And they really were sips. I didn't really miss alcohol while I was pregnant. I've had occasional drinks while nursing. This past summer I discovered that the best beer ever is the one you have after your kid falls asleep. ;) So I would often have just one at night.

Gena
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I took wine during communion at Mass every week when pregnant (and I do when not pregnant too).

Edensmum
12-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I did, I had a small glass of wine here and there with my second pregnancy. At the end I had a few glasses spread out over 30 hours to try to stop early labor on the advice of my midwife. It worked.

srhs
12-02-2010, 12:46 AM
yes.
yes.
yes.

citymama
12-02-2010, 02:03 AM
With DD1, I had a few glasses of wine and some strong G&Ts in the first couple of weeks before I knew I was pg. Didn't drink a drop after I found out and hardly at all in the first 12 months of nursing.

With DD2, I pretty much abstained all thru the first 5 months during which time I felt totally nauseous and sick. In my third trimester, I had a few glasses of wine/beer and one weak cocktail I felt very guilty about. But unlike with DD1, I have been drinking a glass of wine or beer a few evenings a week while nursing DD2 - usually when she's asleep. So I pretty much teetotalled while pg but do drink moderately even though I am nursing.

american_mama
12-02-2010, 04:12 AM
I asked this question in poll format onc on these boards, but the poll is no longer there so it's not a helpful link. I noticed in that tread that some people didn't drink because they never drink anyway, pregnant or not. Some didn't drink during the first trimester but did in moderation after that. Some had sips at various points during pregnancy. I do not remmber the other common responses, but I assume there were some or simply said a drink here and there, or drank in moderation.

I drank on rare occasions during my first pregnancy and possibly during my second. I specifically remember drinking champagne at a wedding in th first trimester and sharing a glass of wine at a restaurant in the last month beore DD was brn. I may not have finished a whole glass of wine on my own, though, when pregnant. With my third pregnancy, I believe I drank more often, but again, maybe not consuming a whole glass of wine. I never tried to abstain during the first trimester; not sure if I think that was ok or too cavalier now.

When I was 6 months pregnant wih DC3, I went to a very nice dinner and wine tasting, held at a wineshop/restaurant, with a pre-dinner lecture about the wines being served, for DH's work when about 6 months pregnant. I honestly was very excited to try the stuff, so I did accept a flight of wines (3 glasses), although I asked the guy to fill them less than normal. I did not finish any of the glasses. Several hours or days later, I wondered if drinking there was maybe wrong of me, if I ignored social niceties, if it bothered DH's co-workers for an obviously pregnant woman to be drinking with three glasses of wine in front of her (the lush!). I wondered if DH felt at all torn between respecting my autonomy and being cautious regarding the baby's health; he said no. But it is surprising to me how that dinner and wine, which was a non-event at the time, has stuck with me since then.

MamaSnoo
12-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I did not drink alcohol at all while pregnant. Several OB friends told me 1/2 or 1 glass of wine occasionally in the last trimester is fine, but it did not seem worth any potential risk to me.

I did drink a little while nursing. About 1/2 a glass or wine or 1/2 a beer once a week or so. I did not worry about it much.

brittone2
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, I had the occasional small glass of wine or small part of DH's beer in pregnancy (I don't think I did with DS1 ??? but I did with DD and DS2 for sure). I have been nursing continuously for almost 7 years now and have certainly had quite a few glasses of wine, a beer, etc. My care providers have always been totally supportive of that.