PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? 13 month old

katybuggy
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok friends -

My husband and I are going to visit my very active grandparents (aged 60ish) in Fl in January and need your input! We're staying with them in Haines City which is WONDERFUL but thought we might take our son to magic kingdom one day. We're going the 3rd week of January so I'm not sure how the weather and crowds will be.

Any ideas on taking 4 adults and one 13 month old to magic kingdom? We're nervous about keeping him in a stroller all day - is there ANYTHING he can ride? Also, Southwest will let his stroller (travel system stroller) ride free - is this the best route?

We are newbies on this and have no idea where to start. Looking at the message boards it is SO easy to get overwhelmed and there are things here I wouldn't even THINK about!

Smillow
11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't take a 13 month old to WDW for his sake. If you all want to go that's one thing. The weather could be all over the place in January, but it will most likely be too crowded to let a 13 month old walk around too much.
My son is 21 months old & when we have gone to attractions, the things that have most interested him have been puddles, mulch, sand, gravel and bodies of water!

TwinFoxes
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I think you and he will have fun. There are definitely rides he can ride. Off the top of my head, it's a small world, Dumbo (get there early!) the train, horse drawn carriages on Main St. You're not going to have the same experience you'd have if you went with an older kid, but when you go with an older kid you're not going to have the same experience as going with a 13 month old, you know what I mean? He'll enjoy looking at things, the parades, *maybe* the characters.

My DDs slept in their stroller at 28 months. We tried going back to the room to nap, it never happened. I don't know what stroller you have, but ours reclines pretty far back, and they just conked out, while we walked around and did other things, or took turns riding the thrill rides.

That being said, WDW isn't cheap, I'm not sure how much a one day ticket is, but that may be a deciding factor.

kaharris83
12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
We're taking my now 4.5 month old in February when he'll be 6.5 months old. I've done a ton of research and we obviously realize he won't be appreciating the park for the magical side of it quite yet, that being said he sure loves to people watch and new places are right up his alley so we're totally excited to be taking him!! Little ones can ride any ride without a height restriction, which is quite a lot of rides. January and the beginning of February(until Pres day) is historically one of the slowest times at Disney so it's the perfect time to visit. I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to take a 13 month old.

crl
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
We went for our 7 year old, but I was surprised that dd, 8 months, really liked the characters. And I took her on bunches of rides. Plus with all those adults you will have plenty of people to stay with the baby while you go on rides the baby can't. A stroller and an ergo were a great combination for us. You have to park the stroller to stand in ride lines so the ergo is great for the lines.

Catherine

todzwife
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
When we went w/ our kids a few years ago DD1 was 13 months. I wore her in a sling 99% of the time. It was easier than bucking/unbuckling her into the car seat.

We just returned from Disneyland with our now 3 children. DD2 is 7 months. I wore her in a Beco Gemini or a ring sling again 99% of the time. She was an ANGEL the entire time (she's a great baby anyway).

I recommend trying out a carrier, especially with all the WDW transportation, you may find it easier to ditch the stroller completely instead of having to fold/unfold it.

DD enjoyed the parades, lights, watching people and being held for 5 days straight...now I can't put her down without her whining LOL!