PDA

View Full Version : Need mac n cheese and meatball recipes

HIU8
11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
So, I have tried no less than 4 differnt Mac N cheese recipes. All have been shot down by everyone in favor of the boxed crap. I have honestly liked 2 of them and disliked 2 others. Anyone have a good recipe that is low fat?

Also, what do you put in your meatballs? I put garlic, italian style breadcrumbs and eggs. I've just been told they have no flavor. Personally I enjoy the cooked flavor of the beef ( I boiled the meatballs). It seems that DD also likes it but DS and DH do not. Anyone have a good meatball recipe? (I will need to freeze these minus any sauce).

mezzona
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Sorry no mac n cheese recipe. My dh has a lifelong loyalty to the box. However, I use rachael ray's meatball recipe and it always goes over well. Egg, ground beef, Italian breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, worchestershire sauce. To kick it up a bit I mix in some Italian sausage removed from casing.

HIU8
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I wonder how it would taste minus the parm cheese?

hannah
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
ground turkey (1.25 pounds)
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup parm cheese (grated or shredded)
couple tsp of dried parsley
3/4 - 1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg

Mix and roll into balls. Place on lightly greased (I spray with Pam) pan and bake 16-18 min at 400 degrees. I usually make 24-26 meatballs and freeze them in prego spag sauce to have on hand.

HIU8
11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
How would they be without parm cheese? I don't mix milk and meat so I can't use parm cheese in a recipe.

hannah
11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I think they would be okay without parm cheese. Maybe you could add more spices (like italian seasoning or more garlic). You might need to up the amount of bread crumbs if the mixture is gooey without the cheese.

mezzona
11-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I wonder how it would taste minus the parm cheese?

Sorry I don't know, never made it without the parm. Hopefully others can give suggestions.

MamaSnoo
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Parm cheese is yummy, but a lot of the flavor is the sodium. So, you might need to experiment with who much salt to add if you do them without the parm. Otherwise, it does not look like they are salted much at all.

I also roast my meatball in the oven instead of boiling, similar to PP. I like the roasted flavor.

I use fresh parsley in them, and think it is a big flavor improvement over dried for meatballs and meatloaf.

Another tasty thing to add is diced up roasted red peppers (Italian section in the grocery).

I heard somewhere (food network?) That the egg is key for the moisture and the lightness of them. Sometimes, I put 2 if it calls for 1.